X

kat 600 15k service

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kat 600 15k service

Hi all, I got my Kat 600 not long ago. The odometer shows exactly 15k miles on it now. I checked the service manual before, so I know at 15k, the bike needs a comprehensive service. I call the local dealer, they said it would be $190, if the valve clearances are good and no need to be adjusted, otherwise it is $320.
    Is this price reasonable? I really have no idea.

First the valves should have been checked at 500 miles, but yes $320 sounds about right. The dealer is going to charge $50 and hours at least. So they have to take all the fairings off then the valve cover, spark plugs, wires, tank etc then the need to put them all back on. So that there is $150 before they even look inside the bike. Give them a call and ask if it would be cheaper to strip the bike down yourself and bring it to the shop on a truck.

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by andrehendricken
      First the valves should have been checked at 500 miles, but yes $320 sounds about right. The dealer is going to charge $50 and hours at least. So they have to take all the fairings off then the valve cover, spark plugs, wires, tank etc then the need to put them all back on. So that there is $150 before they even look inside the bike. Give them a call and ask if it would be cheaper to strip the bike down yourself and bring it to the shop on a truck.

Comment

Sounds about right to me
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Look, the adjusting of the valves takes no special amount of time over the actual measuring clearance on the valves, so the $190 price has to be without getting down into the valve covers... which means it's the wrong thing for you at 15k.

The $320 price is pretty standard around the country.

On the other hand, you can do this service for yourself for about $40 - $50 in supplies (oil, filter), and if you are tool-less, you could invest $200 in good tools and $50 in a buddy to help you, and still come out ahead, plus have a full set of tools from here on out.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thank you Cycberpoet.
            I will do the job by my self. Damn, I'm an engineer (well, an electrical engineer ), I think I can get the job done.

Did you got my address in the pm? I need some supplies from you.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Look, the adjusting of the valves takes no special amount of time over the actual measuring clearance on the valves, so the $190 price has to be without getting down into the valve covers... which means it's the wrong thing for you at 15k.

The $320 price is pretty standard around the country.

On the other hand, you can do this service for yourself for about $40 - $50 in supplies (oil, filter), and if you are tool-less, you could invest $200 in good tools and $50 in a buddy to help you, and still come out ahead, plus have a full set of tools from here on out.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            :P

Comment

Originally posted by yeemartin
              Did you got my address in the pm? I need some supplies from you.
              You should have my response in your inbox.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

it's time to look at everything, brake hoses - brake pads - clutch & throttle cables - chain & sprockets - sync the carbs etc. etc.

if your going to tear the bike down - spend the few dollars more and get everything upgraded. also once the plastic is off check all the chassis bolts - fork bolts etc. etc -

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                  it's time to look at everything, brake hoses - brake pads - clutch & throttle cables - chain & sprockets - sync the carbs etc. etc.

if your going to tear the bike down - spend the few dollars more and get everything upgraded. also once the plastic is off check all the chassis bolts - fork bolts etc. etc -

tim
                  thanks for the reminding. I just noticed that my bike is missing two fairing scews which are under the headlight. Probaply this is why when I ride cross potholes the plastic makes annoying noise. Just want to ask where to get these screws? Please forgive my dumb question.

Comment

Go to the local hardware store and buy them. Or order them through your dealer. I replaced mine with phillips-head SS screws of the same thread size for ease of removal.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X