X

warm up - how many rpm max?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm up

8) I let mine fast idle between 2000 and 2500 for about a half a minute, Then I hold it there with the throttle for just a bit. I'll pull the clutch a couple times during warm up, dosen't clunk so bad when I put it in gear.

Comment

this post goes the same direction as the "what rpm do you shift at" post.

GET USED TO NOT RELYING ON THE TACH!
      IT'S A CRUTCH!

Start the bike on full choke, then slowly back off the choke, just keeping ahead of the stall point until it will run without the choke. Or kill the choke completely once it will take gas from the throttle and give it a few "blips".

for the record, on my 1100, the choke is completely off in under 10 seconds. It has to be like 40 degrees out for it to be on any longer than that.

I suggest this because tachs DO FAIL at times.......so it is always handy to practice not "not using it".
      Don't worry so much about how many rpms you are turning at. Just use the tach to get used to what 1500rpm sounds like.....what 2k rpm sounds like....so on and so on.

I have done it "by the book", and I have just as often brought the temp up on the aggressive side cuz I was in a hurry to hit the road. I put 120k miles on the engine......so no harm, no foul.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Re: warm up - how many rpm max?

Originally posted by stefmar
        I install an oil thermomether, very useful.
        Glad to hear it arrived A-OK!

Originally posted by stefmar
        With an external temp of about 15-20 C, the kat needs 15 min to warm up the oil at 70-75C, in this period I run not over 3000-3500 rpm. Is it ok for you?
        Suzuki says they would like you to stay below 5500 RPM until the oil comes up to full operating temp. That's half the RPM range, and more than enough to ride in most around-town places. They don't specify what completely up to full operating temperature is (seems to vary with the ambient atmosphere), but I would guess 75 degrees C at the oil pan would qualify just fine -- that should be above 100 degrees C at the valves & cams, which would be what I'd consider full operating temp.

Originally posted by Court93kat
        Your idle should be around 1200... NO higher than 1500. And if I'm not mistaken, the owner's manual says not to rev it higher than 2000-2500 during warm up.
        Suzuki's guidelines say run the choke to a max of 2k RPM for a max of 30 seconds.
        Idle RPM varies by year and model, but in general, the 98+ should be set 1200 - 1350 hot idle (which would be lower when cold), and the California models get an extra 100 RPM above that (i.e. 1300 - 1450).
        Pre-98's have a lower hot idle if I recall, somewhere in the 1050 - 1150 range, if I recall right (check your owner's manual if in doubt).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just choke it all the way and rev it up a lot in neutral. That usually does the trick.
          Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
          http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
          http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

Comment

Working...
          X