X

Kat battery?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat battery?

My battery just died and I want to know if I need to buy the same battery or I can go with any other one?

thanks for your help guys!

You can find a list of batteries that will work here:

CyberPoet's "Katana GSXF Measurements and Specs Webpage", including batteries. It'll include links for the dimensioning info if needed (to match an aftermarket) if you want a different brand as a substitute.

Since you don't have your ride profile filled out, I can't tell you which battery you need, or what other options you have.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Get same size

Stick with the same size diamentionally. Don't ask how I know, just get the same sized one.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

thats what i got recently. i like it shipped pre filled, just pull it outa the box and connect it up no fuss. same size and all that as far as i know.
        03 katanika

Comment

Also most places that sell batteries, have a manual they go by for the specs and type of battery you need. For example, when I got my new battery just before the rally, I looked up batteriesplus.com and used the search feature to find just the right battery I needed. Also don't forget to take your old battery with you because most places will dispose of your old battery for you for free/or give you a discount off your new battery purchase.

Comment

+1
            You're Welcome,
            - The Social Invalid

Comment

my bike model is a GSX600f, its an 05 and my battery died and I was wandering if any battery will fit in it. Because I have been in some places and they can't find the battery for my bike.

so as long as it is the same size im good?

And thanks for all the replies this is helping me a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by DanRod
                my bike model is a GSX600f, its an 05 and my battery died and I was wandering if any battery will fit in it. Because I have been in some places and they can't find the battery for my bike.

It needs to have the following:
                (A) Same exact dimensions left-to-right, front-to-back and generally the same top-to-bottom (some fudge factor permissible in height only -- a little on the top-to-bottom).
                (B) It needs to have the same rating in terms of voltage (12 Volts).
                (C) It needs to have the same or higher ratings in terms of Amp-Hours (Ah), and Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).
                (D) It need to have the terminals in the same locations as the current battery -- including which side is positive vs. which side is negative, since the cables are too short to reverse that set-up.
                (E) Since you have a 98+ Kat, it must be a maintenance free battery (AGM or Factory Sealed-AGM), since the bike isn't built to take a drain tube.

My advice since you're not finding a replacement in short order:
                Order the Yuasa YTX9-BS from your dealer or from the internet (if you order off the net, be sure who-ever you order it from actually has it in stock), PLUS a motorcycle trickle/float charger (my preference for your bike is the Deltran BatteryTender Waterproof 800), so you can hook the new battery up with a charger when it's not in use and get far longer life out of it.

KNOW THIS:
                If you live in California (or ride a California model Kat), the reason your battery only lasted a year or so is because of the after-run pollution control fan. Disconnecting the fan will make the battery last several times longer and not affect the performance of the bike at all (although it will leak a bit more pollution when parked as fuel evaporates from engine heat).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

WoW!!! this is hard stuff, I wish I knew more about motorcycles but Its good when you can get help.

I will pull mine out and take it to find one that look the same and have all the things mine have. I will also ask for the stuff you mentioned and see how to fix it.

My battery died because I left it in the garage all winter I will turn it on from time to time but I guess I din't do it right.

Comment

I will pull mine out and take it to find one that look the same and have all the things mine have. I will also ask for the stuff you mentioned and see how to fix it.
                    Let's make it super-simple for you.
                    1. In the morning, call your motorcycle dealer. Tell him to order you an Yuasha YTX-9BS Battery if he doesn't have one in stock. Ask when it will arrive.
                    2. Go pick it up when it shows up.

Jump on the net and order this battery charger:
                    Deltran Waterproof 800 new - eBay - $39.95 + Free Shipping

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

It needs to have the following:
                      (A) Same exact dimensions left-to-right, front-to-back and generally the same top-to-bottom (some fudge factor permissible in height only -- a little on the top-to-bottom).
                      (B) It needs to have the same rating in terms of voltage (12 Volts).
                      (C) It needs to have the same or higher ratings in terms of Amp-Hours (Ah), and Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).
                      (D) It need to have the terminals in the same locations as the current battery -- including which side is positive vs. which side is negative, since the cables are too short to reverse that set-up.
                      (E) Since you have a 98+ Kat, it must be a maintenance free battery (AGM or Factory Sealed-AGM), since the bike isn't built to take a drain tube.

My advice since you're not finding a replacement in short order:
                      Order the Yuasa YTX9-BS from your dealer or from the internet (if you order off the net, be sure who-ever you order it from actually has it in stock), PLUS a motorcycle trickle/float charger (my preference for your bike is the Deltran BatteryTender Waterproof 800), so you can hook the new battery up with a charger when it's not in use and get far longer life out of it.

KNOW THIS:
                      If you live in California (or ride a California model Kat), the reason your battery only lasted a year or so is because of the after-run pollution control fan. Disconnecting the fan will make the battery last several times longer and not affect the performance of the bike at all (although it will leak a bit more pollution when parked as fuel evaporates from engine heat).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Great post, thanks!

Comment

walmart even sells them.just look it up in there computer by the batteries.i dont know how good they are,but i know they sell them

Comment

Antone ever use a gel cell?
                          I'm interested in the any-which-way mounting..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                            Antone ever use a gel cell?
                            I'm interested in the any-which-way mounting..
                            Factory sealed will get you that.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I found the one for my bike at wall mart I will drive this weekend to the storage to get my bike back.

thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X