Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

trading my chevelle for a bike..maybe...advise?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: trading my chevelle for a bike..maybe...advise?

Originally posted by Badkitty
    Now my question to you guys, since i trust the advise i've gotten from here, is this a good trade? if the bike is legit,clean title and everything. I will be KEEPING the bike and letting my wife ride my kat
    The value on a clean used bike of that age is always subject to interpretation, IMHO. It looks really nice for the age, and if the underneath (the frame, etc) look as good, it could be a very sweet trade (esp. given that you don't use the Chevelle, it's missing door-handles and you are having difficulties selling it). I would take the bike through my used bike pre-purchase inspection list and make your decision.

I think the real question is whether the bike's ergos, weight and power would suit your tastes -- test ride time.

If you find you don't want that Kat for whatever reason and really want to move the Chevelle, consider parting it. You should be able to get your 4.5k for it that way.

Good Luck!
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
      ...starting to dump $ in a 4 door. no one wants a 4 door...
      Not so fast. Look at 57 Chevys- 4-door cars are, if not all the rage these days, at least quite popular. I'm thinking it's because the supply of 2-doors has gotten dry and thus they have skyrocketed in price. I am noticing several 60's restored or preserved cars that were 4-doors- for some reason, Dodge Darts seem to stick out.

Of course, not EVERYTHING is collectable. I have been into Mustangs my whole life, and have had Spitfires, too. I once knew a total wacker who, upon seeing my 73 Mustang convertable and 68 Spitfire autocross car, told me he though his Toyota Corolla was a classic. Old does not equal classic.

And besides, Mojoe is just so reactionary and strident about everything he says.
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

go for the bike, i say

Comment

well with the car i would not sell it for a bike. i would trade it in for another car. With a baby on the way you will need aother car

Comment

If you were near PA my boy would scoop that off you...he's got a 2-door and wants a 4-door also...

That Gix is nice, but I don't even look at bikes w/ a polished frame...although you'd have the upper hand in that trade.

And as for the baby/car comment...SADDLEBAGS FTW!!!
            j/k

-Steve

'89 Toyota Supra Targa N/A
            '90 Supra Turbo- mods in profile
            '96 Kat 750-mods in profile--SOLD!!
            '96 Honda CBR900rr -- I go outside and hump it at night.
            '02 Honda CBR954rr -- Red, 'cause it's faster!

Comment

if the bike is pristine, jump on it, it will be a fun toy
              if the bike looks thrashed you can still part it out

have fun
              Live and Lean.
              When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
              "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
              Romans 3:23

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB
                Originally posted by Mojoe
                ...starting to dump $ in a 4 door. no one wants a 4 door...
                Not so fast. Look at 57 Chevys- 4-door cars are, if not all the rage these days, at least quite popular. I'm thinking it's because the supply of 2-doors has gotten dry and thus they have skyrocketed in price. I am noticing several 60's restored or preserved cars that were 4-doors- for some reason, Dodge Darts seem to stick out.

Of course, not EVERYTHING is collectable. I have been into Mustangs my whole life, and have had Spitfires, too. I once knew a total wacker who, upon seeing my 73 Mustang convertable and 68 Spitfire autocross car, told me he though his Toyota Corolla was a classic. Old does not equal classic.

And besides, Mojoe is just so reactionary and strident about everything he says.
                wtf is up with the personal attack? I was just giving him solid advice to the fact that his car is not worth all that much. ebay is full of better deals, including those 4 door darts you mentioned (51 listed...only 3 over $10k).
                HE WILL lose money if he completed that project where it would be considered a total restoration.

And to be sure if you are worth debating with, what is your experience with restoring old cars? Just owning some mustangs and spitfires won't cut it. Did you atually restore...or have them restored professionally...or did you just buy/run/sell them? And if you did restore them, in the end did you actually make a profit big enough to consider it a real investment.
                I could believe yes with a mustang if you got a good enough deal to start with.

Restoring a classic car to reach it's it's full monetary potential is serious business....and most of the time a huge undertaking. It takes some homework, or else you stand to lose alot of money and time. Personally, I do have some experience. My dad has been doing it for as long as I can remember.....which is like 40 years.
                He currently has a 60's corvair convertible in the shop that some tard will have $15k plus into when he is done. do a search on ebay for corvair convertibles. 15 listed, all going for well under $10k. A classic example of more money than brains. Huge dreams.....very little practical reality.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Geez, SLOW DOWN, there, Mojoe! I guess I should have included a smilie, but anyway, I was just trying to poke a little fun, there. Genuinely sorry it felt like something personal. Please do not take the statments below as another personal attack- just putting the record straight as to where I am coming from.

So, being raised by a man who has restored some cars gives you better cred than my having owned some cars? Actually (to give credit where credit is due), I would assume that you do have some experience there, working with your Dad (a great thing to get to do, regardless of the endeavor), and, yes, I have restored several vehicles. But come on, I should not have to list my entire resume' here, just to make a valid point- and neither should you. BTW, I made money on every vehicle I ever restored or rebuilt- even made a quick $100 on a 69 Mustang coupe I bought, towed home, and sold a week later.

I was only pointing out that the value of a 4-door car is going up. Badkitty stated that he was selling the car- e did not say he was considering keeping it and restoring it. If he put alot of faith in your statment that "no one wants a 4-door," he might take less than he needs to for it.

Finally, and not to hijack the thread, but, in regards to that Corvair: Do you pay top dollar for something you see on Ebay? I never do- if I can't get a substantial deal there, I look elsewhere- too risky, with a vehicle (or other item) that could be hundreds of miles away, that I may not be able to see. Even if I do get to see it, it can be tough to find enough time to throughtly check out a vintage vehicle while the clock is ticking on the auction. And so what if the customer puts more into it than it is currently worth? It MIGHT go up in value, and even if it does not, occasionally something is worth enough to us, to pay more than it's market value. No child is going to starve for an extra $5K in the car. The guy paying for the Corvair is also providing your Dad with a livelyhood- how about a little respect for the man?
                  "Stevie B" Boudreaux

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

WOAH GUY!!
                    There's PLENTY of classic Jap cars...including Corollas!(Although I'm sure your buddy didn't have a good example of one)
                    There's a new breed of classic cars in this day and age.
                    Don't let that Rustang muscle car mindset get the better of you...and try to tell some of these guys they aren't in "classic cars"!!

Swapping this SAME motor into a 95 Celica for the GF....this is sitting in an AE86 Corolla, and would give a Muscle Car a run for it's money!!

A classic corolla in action!!

The CLASSIC AND RARE car that started it all for my beloved Supras!!

My baby in stock form...

Actin' up...

WHO WANTS TO BUY MY CLASSIC RED SUPRA??

Food for thought: That Celica 2000GT is worth waayyyyy more than ALL of the Amer. classics mentioned in this thread, even if they were pristine examples.

The Celica 2000GT was also a Bond car...right up there w/ classic Lotuses, Astons, Jags, etc.!!!!

Sorry for the threadjack...I had to defend a LARGE part of automotive history, and clear up some Yankee ignorance...resume argueing about the Chevelle(She's a gem).

Comment

Comment

[quote="SupraholicFood for thought: That Celica 2000GT is worth waayyyyy more than ALL of the Amer. classics mentioned in this thread, even if they were pristine examples.[/quote]

Not anymore...

1965 Shelby 350
                        1969 Boss 302
                        1971 Bos 351

1969 Chevelle SS 396

Actually, you were wrong when you made that statement- I had already brought up the '57 Chevy.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

Comment

[quote=StevieB][quote="SupraholicFood for thought: That Celica 2000GT is worth waayyyyy more than ALL of the Amer. classics mentioned in this thread, even if they were pristine examples.

Not anymore...

1965 Shelby 350
                          1969 Boss 302
                          1971 Bos 351

1969 Chevelle SS 396

Actually, you were wrong when you made that statement- I had already brought up the '57 Chevy.[/quote]

ARE YOU KIDDING??!?!!!

...and I don't know where all these bosses and shelies come from, you just said 'stang, but they're nowhere near that value anyway.

I'm not going to flame you by copying NADA values on here...

I'm not even gonna question myself by going there to look it up...you can do that if you want to be humbled.

Better yet look up a 57 Vette...that's worth much more than a 4-door Chevy...but nowhere near a 2000.

Sorry if I come off a little blunt...'cause you do know something...just not enough about imports for this convo...

Comment

whys everyone hating the 4doors. i hate the old 2doors when the door is so long and heavy it might as well be 2 doors combined. that chevelle is only a few inchs longer than the 2 door version so its not like the car is over all bigger to make room for the 4doors. as far as value for a collector thats a different story. if your buying something just for its future value and dont care to actually use and enjoy it thats up to you i guesss..
                            03 katanika

Comment

Geez, SLOW DOWN, there, Mojoe! I guess I should have included a smilie, but anyway, I was just trying to poke a little fun, there. Genuinely sorry it felt like something personal. Please do not take the statments below as another personal attack- just putting the record straight as to where I am coming from.

So, being raised by a man who has restored some cars gives you better cred than my having owned some cars? Actually (to give credit where credit is due), I would assume that you do have some experience there, working with your Dad (a great thing to get to do, regardless of the endeavor), and, yes, I have restored several vehicles. But come on, I should not have to list my entire resume' here, just to make a valid point- and neither should you. BTW, I made money on every vehicle I ever restored or rebuilt- even made a quick $100 on a 69 Mustang coupe I bought, towed home, and sold a week later.

I was only pointing out that the value of a 4-door car is going up. Badkitty stated that he was selling the car- e did not say he was considering keeping it and restoring it. If he put alot of faith in your statment that "no one wants a 4-door," he might take less than he needs to for it.

Finally, and not to hijack the thread, but, in regards to that Corvair: Do you pay top dollar for something you see on Ebay? I never do- if I can't get a substantial deal there, I look elsewhere- too risky, with a vehicle (or other item) that could be hundreds of miles away, that I may not be able to see. Even if I do get to see it, it can be tough to find enough time to throughtly check out a vintage vehicle while the clock is ticking on the auction. And so what if the customer puts more into it than it is currently worth? It MIGHT go up in value, and even if it does not, occasionally something is worth enough to us, to pay more than it's market value. No child is going to starve for an extra $5K in the car. The guy paying for the Corvair is also providing your Dad with a livelyhood- how about a little respect for the man?
                              yes....the smiley would have helped!

also, not only was I raised by a man who has restored ALOT of cars...not just a few.....I was also exploited by the same man.
                              my childhood consisted of school, home for supper....then 2-3 hours in the garage unless I had alot of homework. That went on from about age 8-9 until I moved out on my own at 16. I thumbed my way across Canada and ended up in Calgary, Alberta.....where I got my first real job in....care to take a guess? Yup...a body shop. Then a year later I went to work for my uncle in the field for another year. Then I got sick of the dirty stinking job and became a machinist. Now being retired, I am back at restorations again.....but purely for a hobby (so far) and for bikes only. So ya....I know my way around a body shop. But the memories of hand sanding until your arms feel like they are going to fall off......for a $3 a week allowance (was actually not bad 30 years ago...lol) turned me off of it.

and I guess I should rephrase my statement. I will stand by my belief that a 4 door is not worth much to serious collectors.....but it could be worth plenty to "someone". I have seen some people restore/mod some pretty lame and worthless vehicles....so I guess there is always "someone" who will give him more than I ever would. For sure it is a nice car.....but it would be nice if it was a 2 door
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Hey, wait a miniute! Aren't we a bunch of MOTORCYCLE enthusist? Haven't we found, nay, isn't the whole reason we are here is because we all like a certain kind of motorcycle? Seems like we stumbled upon a topic that we can't agree on, and have set on it like a flock of vultures, bickering and fighting over minor, insignificant points like so many scraps of rotting meat.

Maybe it's time we all moved on. I will take ownership of this problem, and be the first to let it go. I am hereby NOT watching this thread, NOT revisiting it (well, okay, I will once, to see if this post is effective in quelling the disent.)

Let's get back to Katanas and motorcycles!
                                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

Comment

Working...
                                X