X

Basic Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Questions

And yes, I did search first. I have an 06 750 Katana (red/silver).

1. What are some common problems with these bikes?

2. Are there risers that would raise the handle bar about an inch?

3. Is anyone having problems running 10W-40 synthetic (non-energy conserving of course)?

4. How many miles can I expect to get out of a set of tires?

5. Does this bike require constant chain adjustments? (I don't ride like a maniac and I'm smooth on the clutch and shifter).

Thanks!

Mark
    2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Re: Basic Questions

Worst problem is poor maintenance by owners. With such a long running line, the Katana is considered almost bullet-proof in road failure. But there are areas that definitely need improvment...such as the suspension (but it doesn't constitute as a problem persay.)

Yes, the 750 is already taller than the 600...(at least the Pre-98 years are)

3. Is anyone having problems running 10W-40 synthetic (non-energy conserving of course)?

Of course not. The preffered actually (after your break-in period of course)

I like Mobile1 MX4T (10W-40)

Depends on the Tires (Touring, sporttouring, sport, track). Depends on your riding style (Touring, Commuting, drag, race, twisties). Period.

5. Does this bike require constant chain adjustments? (I don't ride like a maniac and I'm smooth on the clutch and shifter).

No, not really, but still requires frequent lubing (every 600 miles)

Joe

Comment

Yeah what he said....
      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

thanks kickitjp!

I still would like to know if I can install some after market risers...

Also, the tire question: My VTX1800C got 6500 miles on it before it needed new tires. I'm hoping the Katana treats them a little better.
        2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Comment

Check this thread for good experiences with the LSL superbike handlebar kit. It raises the bar a bit.

Comment

not many problems so far here. everyone worries about price of oil, but how fast are you going to go 4000 mile increments after breakin.

Comment

Re: Basic Questions

Originally posted by etcthorne
              Newbies: heavy bike, coming to a standstill on an uneven surface and dropping it, plus all the standard panic reactions.
              Mechanically: 2nd gear failures due to user error (failure to shift properly), as they age there are cam chain tensioner issues but the tensioner was redesigned in the 98 model year so it should be less of an issue. Aside from that, everything can usually be tracked down to lack of preventative maintenance or common sense.

Yes, although I would suggest lowering the seat height by switching to a corbin saddle as the first step instead. Same total effect (change of arm placement), but you ride closer to the center of gravity and have far more support under your bum.

Not as long as they are using motorcycle oils or API SF/SG as called for by the owner's manual. Use of API SJ thru SM may be problematic. For more details, see:
              CyberPoet's "How to understand and choose motorcycle motor oils"

If you keep the pressures up diligently, the OEM tires should last 6 - 8k typical commuter miles, although many people run into scalloping/cupping issues way earlier. There are far better tires out there than the OEM tires, which will handle far better, reduce your braking distances, decrease the odds of hydroplaning and last 10K+ miles (Metzeler Z6 and Pirelli Diablo Stradas are the two I recommend).

Shouldn't. One of the biggiest newbie mistakes is to overtighten the chain when the adjust it, which just accelerates the chain stretch. Keeping the chain oiled well and set to 1" or a hair over of slack should maximize the chain life. More details here:
              CyberPoet's "understanding Motorcycle Chain Wear, Lubrication, Cleaning and General Maintenance"

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X