X

Cadillac of Doom

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadillac of Doom

Today involved a few firsts. It was the first time I wore my new shirt, the first time I rode my katana to work, and the first time my bike got hit.

I was inside the dunkin donuts near my work, and some guy comes in and tells me a guy just hit my bike. I run outside, and he was about to pull away in his white cadillac. He seemed to be roughly 60-65 years of age, and hoping he would just get away.

He's in the way of everyone trying to get in, so he tells me to meet him at the Shell station a few blocks away. Reluctantly (assuming he's just going to disappear forever) I say yes, as a guy helps me pick my bike up.

The left side mirror and turn signal assembly broke pretty much clean off. There's also a few more dings and scratches on the already scratched fairing.

After I was finally able to start my bike (was flooded from being on it's side.. I think?), I found the Shell, and he was sitting in a chair infront of it. Apparently he either owns it, or is a Master Tech. He and his buddy told me to go get a estimate from the motorcycle shop, and bring it back. Before I left, I grabbed his business card, just in case.

So yeah, they might not even get the estimate finished today, nevermind fixing it, so I'll be riding without a front signal or a front left mirror.

Oh well, that was the way I started my day today.. how about yourselves?
    Red 1988 600F

Well just try to get a good job done when they fix it. If the guy tried to get away go to an expensive bike repair shop. Sorry about your day. I too had one too.
    06 KAT 600

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous

Comment

That sucks. I always fear this happening as some people swing so hard into what appears to be an empty parking spot before they realize there is a pretty bike already there.

I've been parking near the bottom (top?) of spaces as close to the aisle as possible to help prevent it.

Comment

On the positive side it wasn't a hit and run...the guy actually waited for you where he said he would and actually is willing to cooperate...that's gotta say something good for the day...oh by the way you weren't injured so that is a big thumbs up...
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

i think the guy was going to try to get outta there before he noticed though because he said he was about to pull away until he came out and saw the white caddie

Comment

i would have more than a business card, say a police report in case this guys changes his mind about wanting to pay. all he has to do is say he didnt do it, your word against his.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Originally posted by ChattKat
              i would have more than a business card, say a police report in case this guys changes his mind about wanting to pay. all he has to do is say he didnt do it, you word against his.
              +1

You should have never left the scene without a police filing and a full copy of his driver's license and insurance information. He may want to keep it off the insurance because it was a client car, but you do indeed find yourself in a situation where it's he said/she said, especially if the car went back to a client of his (no car = no habeas corpus?).

I would still file ASAP.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well firstly I am glad you weren't "on" the bike which is where I thought this was going.
                Sorry, it is sucky, I agree, hopefully you can get her all mended.
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

all i can say is you are one lucky guy.i would still called the police.

Comment

everyone wants police and lawyers to protect them, are the days of trusting people completely gone?
                    Live and Lean.
                    When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                    "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                    Romans 3:23

Comment

Originally posted by TheKlic
                      everyone wants police and lawyers to protect them, are the days of trusting people completely gone?
                      trust some guy that plowed into his bike then was in the proccess of fleeing the scene?
                      03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
                        Originally posted by TheKlic
                        trust some guy that plowed into his bike then was in the proccess of fleeing the scene?
                        thank you!!!

Comment

Doesnt anyone know accident protocol any more? The police dont need to be called, all you need is vehicle and driver information. He obviously claims the blame.

I cant stand it when people get into a fender bender (a typical rear ender where blame is obvious) and the idiots call the police and leave their cars right in the middle of the road for a half an hour. It block up everything!

Comment

Originally posted by Flip
                            Doesnt anyone know accident protocol any more? The police dont need to be called, all you need is vehicle and driver information. He obviously claims the blame.

I cant stand it when people get into a fender bender (a typical rear ender where blame is obvious) and the idiots call the police and leave their cars right in the middle of the road for a half an hour. It block up everything!
                            Unfortunately, calling for the police can ensure you are not 'faulted' by the insurance company. A 'gentlemen' backed up hard into me with his Ford truck and wanted to avoid calling the police. I said 'no way' and insisted the vehicles stay where they are. When the police came, he tried to blame me for the accident saying I rammed into him from behind. Thankfully, the police officier didn't buy his story based on what he saw at the accident site and faulted him for the incident. My insistence saved me thousands of dollars in insurance premiums.

My advice. Don't take any chances with anyone. It is refreshing to see honest people but you don't know if the person that hit you is honest.
                            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

One of the main problems is that you don't know who the "honest" people are...that really nice person that bumped into you and was all appologetic and agreed to pay for damages will all of a sudden when they get home act like they don't know you..then they will tell you over the phone "prove that I hit you" or "I don't know what you are talking about"...yeah I've been there...so I don't care if traffic backs up 20hrs...I call the police and demand they come out...protocol or not it doesn't hold in court if you don't have a police report...the judge will tell you that to your face...also I carry a disposable camera in my car just in case...I need to find a place on the Kat to carry one...
                              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Working...
                              X