No announcement yet.
X

40,000 miles and running like a champ!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40,000 miles and running like a champ!

Beat that!

I'm the second owner of this bike; bought it in late 2000 with about 2,200 miles on it. I'm sure there are others here that have higher mileage, but the way this bike just keeps going and going and going without a hiccup is just amazing. Very well-made machines these are.

In that time I've had to replace chains three times, tire sets twice, brake pads once (changed the rotors too even though they were techinically within spec still) and that's more or less about it. Oil, filter, plugs and the usual stuff.

Looking forward to 50,000. . .
    ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
    Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

there a dood on here with well over 100k on his

Comment

Awesome! Original engine? That's sweet!

Plus some cars.

Comment

That's great news. Is there anything special that you're doing or just routine maintenance?
        "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by Sin
          there a dood on here with well over 100k on his
          I put well over 100k on my 93 1100.....and it still runs, if the bike was all in one peice that is.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Nah, mostly just routine maintenance. I use only good synthetic oil (Motul 5100 10w40 most recently) and change it every 4,000 to 5,000 or when it starts to look dark/sludgy. Most of the riding I do is freeway, which I'm sure helps. Also that I've only ever had one minor drop issue and that I've never crashed/raced/abused it.

If I can get 100,000 out of this bike I'll be stoked. . . My neighbor's Harley doesn't even have that many miles and it's a 2000 Road King that he takes on drives all the time. . . I love giving him crap about how I'm out-touring him on a lil' ol' 750. . .

Plus some cars.

Comment

Keep it up. My last bike was a 1988 Kat 1100, and I sold it with 47,000 miles and it was still super reliable and ran strong. In my opinion, its all about fresh oil and not beating on the bike.

Comment

Just pay attention to the standard maintenance schedule, fix things when they start to act up (because if you don't, they tend to snowball into bigger & additional problems), and once every four years or so take the time to repack the various bearings (swing arm, suspension, headstock) & replace the rubber (fuel & vacuum hoses), plus use a JASO-MA rated oil and you should see 100k+ with no issues what so ever.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That makes me feel better. I'm around 24K before it has its first birthday. I keep on top of all maintenece, but should I do anything diffrent since I put so many miles on it so quickly or stick to mait intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by gpggnnn
                    That makes me feel better. I'm around 24K before it has its first birthday. I keep on top of all maintenece, but should I do anything diffrent since I put so many miles on it so quickly or stick to mait intervals.
                    Just accelerate the oil change interval if your bike sees rough duty (hotter, dustier, or more low-gear riding than usual). Aside from that, just what I mentioned. A fuel system cleaner as the last full tank of fuel you'll burn through before you change the oil is helpful, but not required if you're putting on enough distance regularly. It's the bikes that sit unridden that tend to develop the most serious issues (well, those and the ones that are abused).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If my location said Southern Cali I'd be able to put that many miles on probably too

Congrats on the milestone and keep on going !

Comment

Not beating on the bike is the key. I'm at 30000 and looking forward to another 30k.......

Comment

In that time I've had to replace chains three times, tire sets twice, brake pads once (changed the rotors too even though they were techinically within spec still) and that's more or less about it. Oil, filter, plugs and the usual stuff.
                          What kind of tires are you running that you get about 20,000 miles out of?

Comment

Stock Dunlop D205s. I actually JUST put new tires on it last week (yes, I was able to find some D205s but it wasn't easy). They're a really good touring tire. Reasonably hard-ish compound but not so hard you don't have a loss of grip in turns. I wouldn't want to ride on those in cold climates though - especially if doing anything aggressive.

The kicker is I probably could've gotten another 5,000 miles or so out of the tires I just took off, but I got a puncture. Grr.

The stock tires last a long time if you ride mostly upright and don't lay way into curves all the time. In fact, my tread wear patterns tend to result in flattish spots in the middle before the sidewalls wear down from so much upright riding.

Plus some cars.

Comment

thats a kat for you!!!glad to hear it.

Comment

Working...
                              X