Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

dose anybody make a high performance harness for headlights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dose anybody make a high performance harness for headlights?

you know for really bright aftermarket headlights?

I think that you are going to have to do the wiring manually...I haven't seen and "high powered" harnesses but I've heard horror stories of melted wires due to too much power draw from the headlight...do a search and you can read about them....good luck on your search..
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

some one makes them do a search

Comment

Yes, they exist. You can fab up your own for about $25 - $40 for both sides using a common A/C relay from NAPA plus replacement bulb holders and generic automotive 12 ga or 10 gauge wire (depending on the intended draw). If you want to buy an off-the-shelf solution, you can here:

The more important question is what bulbs do you want to run, and would you be better served running additional lighting instead (to put more focal points on the road surface instead of just increasing the light from the main headlights).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i would want some extra lights cause iam a beginer and need all the light i can get any sugestions on what to buy and where could i mount on the forks?? to turn with the wheel???

Comment

Originally posted by bedabug0
            i would want some extra lights cause iam a beginer and need all the light i can get any sugestions on what to buy and where could i mount on the forks?? to turn with the wheel???
            There are standard fork clamping headlight mounts out there to be had ($40 - $100 a pair), and a wide variety of lights to fit them. You can also add a bracket to the underside of the front fairing's support brackets. I am supposed to be carrying the Trail Tech Eclipse MR16's here shortly, which are the only fully-self-contained HID's on the market to my knowledge (ballast unit and HID in the same casing), but I'd say wait until I have a set in my hands and have tested 'em first.

What to pay attention to:

1. Where you want the light. If the headlight you have is focused where you want the light, putting in stronger bulbs works. If you go to add-on lighting, pay attention to beam spread -- some are designed as fog lights or area-lights (very broad spread, not much distance on the light), some as driving lights (much narrower spread, much further reach, usually best combination), and some as pencil beams (virtually no spread, increadible reach, good for very high-speed interstate driving).

2. Total power draw. You have about 100 to 150 watts more power you can draw off the Kat than it draws stock before you really start possibly over-loading the charging system. That means if you upgrade your headlights to 130 watts per side on high beam, the total draw on the headlights for a 98+ goes from 60+60 = 120 watts to 130+130 = 260 watts (140 watts added draw) -- which definitely doesn't leave you any additional draw really for anything else, like additional bolt-on lighting, heated grips, etc. Budget wisely, or get your alternator rewound to generate a bit more power.

3. If you are looking for visibility of the bike (esp. during daytime) rather than just putting more light out, seek out an headlight oscillator instead. These cycle the high-beam current between full power and partial power a couple times a second, which makes the bike stand out much better to most people's vision.

4. Take advantage of the best bulb formulations on the market -- in other words, instead of running a 100 watt bulb, run a 55/60 watt bulb that has a +50 watt efficiency rating (like the Sylvania-Osram SilverStars or Hella's 8GJ 002 525-821). This is accomplished by variations in the basic formulation of the gases and filament used (more halogen & xenon in the gas mixture, more tungsten in the filament). Although they run somewhat hotter, they don't draw any more power, thus do not strain the charging system.

For more info, see my lighting upgrades webpage.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I put these in my 01 750 Katana about a year ago and there have been no problems what so ever. They really made a difference on dark roads!

Comment

Originally posted by thepman01
                I put these in my 01 750 Katana about a year ago and there have been no problems what so ever. They really made a difference on dark roads!

http://tricktape.com/index.asp?PageA...PROD&ProdID=58
                Just be careful that you installed the 55/60 watt versions -- the 90/100 watt versions draw enough power to turn your wiring harness into a fire hazard on either beam (wasn't it Sin who had a bike burn down to the ground as a result of this?).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

any one use these? http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...products_id=99

Comment

Working...
                  X