X

750 much greater than 600?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 much greater than 600?

Hello to all. I'm new to the site. I had a Katana 600 as my first bike, and I loved it. It got some bumps and bruises along my learning process, so I sold it so that I can buy a bike with no blemishes. I was thinking of getting the Katana 750 as an upgrade. My question is can you tell a big difference in power and accelaration from a 600 to a 750? Thanx to all.

I've have ridden both. You could feel a little bit more power, but not as much as you might think.

Comment

NOT SURE BOUT DA WIEGHT , BUT I THINK ITS 20 MORE HORSE.
      USE DA SEARCH FEATURE ON THIS SITE , IM SURE ULL COME UP WITH SOMETHING...
      << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
      KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

I have a 600, but I've ridden both. I really didn't notice much difference at all between the 600 and the 750. It may depend a lot on your weight and if you ride 2 up often. Riding 2 up with my wife our combined weight is a little less than 300 lbs. If you're a big guy, or ride 2 up often with someone who is big, the 750 may give you that little extra power you're looking for.

However, if you're average height and weight or are looking for a noticable increase in power, you should probably check out a sportbike as opposed to a sport tourer.

Good luck!
        ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

OR MAYBE A SV650 TYPE S
          << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
          KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

The 750 is a nice upgrade from the 600. Its got more HP and more Torque. Not an overwhelming amount to where you'll feel intimidated or anything; but she's got it where it counts and you'll have fun with it.

Plus the handle bars are higher on the 750 so the seating is different; its alittle more upright position. Not like a standard style, you still lean over to ride, just not quite as much as on a 600.

Comment

Originally posted by gpggnnn
              I've have ridden both. You could feel a little bit more power, but not as much as you might think.
              +1

Because the 750 engine has a lower compression ratio, the difference is not the difference you'd expect based solely on the displacment size difference. In the real world, there's usually about a 10 to 14 HP difference between the bikes at the rear tire, with a somewhat fatter torque band (the real difference, IMHO).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Damn , I gotta try a good stock 600 . The one I rode was WAY weak compared to my bike . I could go WOT mid-corner with no drama at all on that 600 , which I would be hesitant to do on even MY crappy 750 .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  Damn , I gotta try a good stock 600 . The one I rode was WAY weak compared to my bike . I could go WOT mid-corner with no drama at all on that 600 , which I would be hesitant to do on even MY crappy 750 .
                  But I thought yours was bored over to 771 or some such (the wiseco comes with a much higher compression level, which would justify you seeing such a difference between your bike and a stock 600 -- maybe you should try a stock 750 first?)...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well , MY 750 isn't high-compression (if you use the stock head gasket , compression stays low) , and is sick besides . When I had it on a dyno a year ago , it was only making about 90hp . Granted , that was with REALLY bad jetting and severely mis-aligned rear wheel , but still . It's NEVER felt much stronger than that day , though . There are some saying that with a stock 750 , they're pulling the front tire up once in a while under hard accell ....never had that problem with mine . PLUS , I HAVE a Ca Katana that's stock (our project) , and it feels stronger at higher revs than my current ride .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Surprisingly, despite having 20% more power there isn't a big difference in performance. A little more torque and a bit of pep is all you'll really notice between the two unless you are riding two-up. That's where you'll really see the difference.
                      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I would compare the difference between a 600 and 750 to the difference between a 305 powered Camaro and a 350 powered Camaro. It's definitely noticeable, but not scary. In numbers, from my experience, the 600's ran mid 13's, down to high 12's in the 1/4, while the 750's ran high to low 11's. A lot has to do with how it feels. For example, anybody that ever rode both, said that my friend's SV650 felt faster than my Kat750. In truth, my kat would have dusted off the SV with ease (straight line, of course), but the SV FELT faster. I suspect that the kat 600 having a longer stroke motor makes it feel more muscular, and the short stroke of the 750 is why it's so rev-happy and short of breath until you get it above about 9k RPM.
                        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                        X