LSL Riser Kit - very NICE

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSL Riser Kit - very NICE

Hey everyone,

I was used to riding a cruiser and wanted a seating position closer to a Standard bike vs. a sportbike for long range (400km days) comfort. I also have bad wrists and ride 2-up a lot. I commute to work 60km one way.

Well, decided to order the LSL riser kit from Spiegler. The kit came with a dirt bike or bandit style handlebar and two adapter plates that replace the stock ones that hold the stock bars. The kit is really nice quality.

The only downside is that you can't use the weights at the end of the handlebar, I'll probably feel a little more vibration but I don't mind, I was used to a big V-twin anyways..

The position seems pretty close to what I wanted, brought the bars like 3" closer to me at least and maybe 1-1 2/2" higher.

The cables have to be re-routed behind the forks but there are no problems once that is done.

I'll post some pics when I have a chance and after taking the bike for a spin.

Installation took about 4hours but I removed all fairings in the front and you have to bleed brakes after you change the stock hose for the braided line.

Cheers,
    Marc

I have been looking into those as well. Well, that and Convertibars.

Post pics when you can.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy
      I have been looking into those as well. Well, that and Convertibars.
      We had a member try the ConvertiBars back in the KP (pre-KR) era... he said they only had a small range of adjustments they could use on the 98+ Kats before they would hit the instrument surround & fairings... Just a heads' up -- I thought they were a great idea until then...

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: LSL Riser Kit - very NICE

Originally posted by Maccam26
        Hey everyone,

I was used to riding a cruiser and wanted a seating position closer to a Standard bike vs. a sportbike for long range (400km days) comfort. I also have bad wrists and ride 2-up a lot. I commute to work 60km one way.

Well, decided to order the LSL riser kit from Spiegler. The kit came with a dirt bike or bandit style handlebar and two adapter plates that replace the stock ones that hold the stock bars. The kit is really nice quality.

The only downside is that you can't use the weights at the end of the handlebar, I'll probably feel a little more vibration but I don't mind, I was used to a big V-twin anyways..

The position seems pretty close to what I wanted, brought the bars like 3" closer to me at least and maybe 1-1 2/2" higher.

The cables have to be re-routed behind the forks but there are no problems once that is done.

I'll post some pics when I have a chance and after taking the bike for a spin.

Installation took about 4hours but I removed all fairings in the front and you have to bleed brakes after you change the stock hose for the braided line.

Cheers,
        Marc
        I am very interested in something that makes a Kat ride like a standard bike. Please post pictures when you have a chance.
        Don "Very Short Person" Inamasu
        VROC#5569
        '93 Kawasaki EN500 "Mighty Mouse"
        '83 Honda C70 Passport
        '93 BMW K75, '94 BMW K75. '97 BMW R850R
        Stockton, CA 95219

Comment

Here are the pics, I'm just missing the ends for the bars, forgot to order them at the same time ... they are only 19.95usd.[/url]
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey there, cowboy! Wrestle any steer lately?

I am looking for a riser for my Kat but that would be just a little bit of overkill for me.

Do the bars hit the tank? Seems they would.

Let us know how you like 'em!

Comment

In response to the bars hitting the tank, that is a negative, they are actually pretty far from the tank.

And yes, it really feels like a standard, which is what I was haoping for, coming from the cruiser the sportbike position hurt my wrists, neck, back, not pleasant on the sort of riding I do. Like 400km per day and 120km commutes to work in traffic.

Cheers,
              Marc

Comment

I came from a standard to the Kat600 and I am experiencing the same thing. My wrists hurt but I went from the standard to the Kat with intent. I think I just need around a half to quarter inch rise for the clip-ons.

Your kit is clearly a big step, but one in the right direction.

I am yet to figure out why some entreprenenuer(sic) hasn't simply bent some pipe into a clip-on that has a bit of rise in it. Hmm....erruh...forget I said anything.

Anyone know where I can get a pipebender?

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2
                  Anyone know where I can get a pipebender?
                  HarborFreight.

I am yet to figure out why some entreprenenuer(sic) hasn't simply bent some pipe into a clip-on that has a bit of rise in it. Hmm....erruh...forget I said anything.
                  Probably because the degree of accuracy required to keep both sides perfectly balanced is fairly high.

I suspect a lot of you do not have the controls set up to where your hands naturally rest on the bars (rotate those levers as needed -- you can even rotate the bar by about 4 degrees if needed by loosening at the mounting to the risers). I also suspect you haven't adopted the sport-tourer's posture yet, which is a bit of a forward lean, with the wind lifting you at the chest and shoulders to remove the weight from your wrist (at least at speeds 45+ mph).

But whatever works, works

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wind has a lot of work to do lifting me. Let's say 65+MPH.

Comment

Wind has a lot of work to do lifting me. Let's say 65+MPH.
                      How much the wind lifts you is angle-related as well as weight related; try changing your seating position temporarily... Usually the bigger you are, the more spread you have to catch the wind -- at least that's how it works in my case

I will say the Kat wasn't 600+ mile comfy until I changed seats, which has a lot of the same affect as changing handlebars.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I think the beginning of my relation to the bars is the Suzuki Aftermarket Gel seat raising my seating position. I don't want to get rid of it, though. *shrug*

Comment

I think the beginning of my relation to the bars is the Suzuki Aftermarket Gel seat raising my seating position. I don't want to get rid of it, though. *shrug*
                          If you're coming to the rally, you can borrow a EDIT:Corbin for a few hours to try... It'll lower you lower than stock (as verses to the gel which raises you compared to stock).

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I plan to, yes. I also want to get a look at your Givi bags. I am thinking of getting some of those, as well.

Thanks for the offer.

Comment

That looks great and could be a solution to help my old/aching lower back. How difficult was the install? I'd love to hear any details as to the installation. I'm seriously considering this.

thanks in advance
                              > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                              97 Mustang GT
                              95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X