No announcement yet.
X

buddies say dont buy kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the real answer, for you in particular, lies in what you want to do with it. If you tour, commute, use it as a daily-driver, it's probably one of the best choices you can make. If you want a weekend bike to run with the boys, wild-arsing wheelies and knee-down canyon carving, it is a poor choice. If you need to combine both of those functions, it's a toss-up, depending on which aspects you value more...

As the others pointed out, it's hyper-reliable. It really is.

It was also listed as the best commuter bike in a recent article in Bike [UK] magazine, with a combination of hyper-reliability, great fairing protection, utterly simple maintenance and good real-world speeds both on the highways and the city roads. And in that capacity, it excels.

But what it isn't is a race-replica bike -- and was never intended to be. It's 30 to 60% down on horsepower compared to race-rep bike like an GSXR or R6/R1, and 50 to 100 lbs heavier wet (loaded with fuel, oil). It'll top out around 135 where your buds will hit 150 - 170. It won't keep up with them off the line if they know how to ride, and you won't be grinding your shoulder on the pavement through the turns (you can drag a knee if you want and if you are that proficient). Compared to the Blast, it will be positively beastly heavy and slow to turn, but it will have more uumph and you'll feel like you stepped out of a ford fiesta into a Caddy...

On the other hand, it's heavier weight improves the unsprung to sprung weight ratio, meaning it will soak up bumps and bad roads far smoother than theirs will. The Kat is also generally more comfortable for most riders (more comfy than any race bike I've ever ridden and that's a lot of 'em), which translates into being able to lay back serious miles without pain. It puts a ton of light to the ground compared to most bikes (those huge headlights work), the mirrors are rock stable, and there is underseat storage capacity race-bike riders can only envy. It also has the highest cargo weight capacity (480 lbs) on the road aside from the BossHog, rated to carry more than even a GoldWing.

For more info, you might want to read the first dozen paragraphs of this:
    Kat profiling & upgrades.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: buddies say dont buy kat

Originally posted by Rob
      But some of my friends that have R6's, CBR's, buells, and even a buddy with a gixxer all are telling me not to buy a katana...They say katanas are junk and you always have to repair them, and they are not reliable.
      Have you considered getting a better class of buddy?
      "If they think you're crude, go technical. If they think you're technical, go crude."

Comment

I think that everyone covered it. The Kat is a nice capable bike. You will enjoy it, but you will not win any AMA races with with. If you are looking for other options I would recommend a YZF-600R (I think that is what Steve also recommended).

Comment

thank you so much for the replies guys. Its really good to see all of you have a good sense of humor. My blast was 340 pounds I belive, and my buddies YZF R6 is 351 wet I believe. I dont mind the increase in weight for the katana, although it was stated its about 100 lbs heavier, Ill deal with it lol. The R6 is an awesome bike, but I dont know if I really trust myself with it. Its super fast as all of you know, atleast for me it was fast, I havent been riding long at all. The katana seems like the perfect next bike for me. I have made my decision, and I cant thank you guys enough for the input!!
          You shut your mouth when your talking to me!!

Spread the word!! www.bikerfriend.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
            thank you so much for the replies guys. Its really good to see all of you have a good sense of humor. My blast was 340 pounds I belive, and my buddies YZF R6 is 351 wet I believe. I dont mind the increase in weight for the katana, although it was stated its about 100 lbs heavier, Ill deal with it lol. The R6 is an awesome bike, but I dont know if I really trust myself with it. Its super fast as all of you know, atleast for me it was fast, I havent been riding long at all. The katana seems like the perfect next bike for me. I have made my decision, and I cant thank you guys enough for the input!!
            Unless he's spent some serious money on weight reduction, your buddies R6 is closer to 420 pounds wet. I doubt anything resembling a stock R6 would come in at 350 even totally dry. A Kat will easily push the scale over 500 pounds.

With most SS riders, the weight of their bike is sort of like a fisherman's favorite story. Everytime they tell it, it gets better. In this case, people constantly understate the weight of their rides.
            I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

well i think everyone will agree that you are making a great choice with the Katana and i'm sure if you thoroughly do a bike inspection before you get it and it was treated good you will have a bulletproof bike which will last for years to come and give you years of excitement. by the way do a search under bike inspection and read the post written by Cyberpoet...its very informative and it helps you to purchase the right Katana that is in good shape. i used it to get mine and its still going stong and i love every day i fire it up and go for a ride

Comment

Great to hear! Look forward to you joining the family soon. What year are you looking on? new or used?
                Roops Photography|facebook|
                03 GSXR 1000
                04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
                  Originally posted by Rob
                  Unless he's spent some serious money on weight reduction, your buddies R6 is closer to 420 pounds wet. I doubt anything resembling a stock R6 would come in at 350 even totally dry. A Kat will easily push the scale over 500 pounds.

With most SS riders, the weight of their bike is sort of like a fisherman's favorite story. Everytime they tell it, it gets better. In this case, people constantly understate the weight of their rides.
                  He hasnt had any weight reduction, other than loss of some plastic from laying it down on I95 lol. Sorry about the numbers, I thought I read it somewhere. I didnt realize his bike was so heavy, it feels pretty light.

Comment

Originally posted by macgyver
                    well i think everyone will agree that you are making a great choice with the Katana and i'm sure if you thoroughly do a bike inspection before you get it and it was treated good you will have a bulletproof bike which will last for years to come and give you years of excitement. by the way do a search under bike inspection and read the post written by Cyberpoet...its very informative and it helps you to purchase the right Katana that is in good shape. i used it to get mine and its still going stong and i love every day i fire it up and go for a ride
                    thanks for the info bro!, Ill definatly do that. BTW your bike is a sick color, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by profroopchan
                      Great to hear! Look forward to you joining the family soon. What year are you looking on? new or used?
                      thanks man! I was looking at anywhere from 00 and up, used.

Comment

I dont want to buy new because I know im probably gonna lay this one down. I didnt lay my buell down, and I know im gonna push this one alot harder.

Comment

If the Katana is such a great bike why is it being discontinued??

Although I don't understand why, in looking at the Recycler.com, the resale value of a used Katana is higher than a used Busa?? How did that happen?

Seriously I love my Katana. It's old but like said above it is reliable, fun to ride and probably the best on the street. If you plan to do a lot of track riding I would suggest one of the SS bikes but if you are doing every day commuting then the Kat is a really good bike for that. Take your buddies for a long ride. A good 3 to 4 hour ride should prove to them the Kat isn't junk...while they whine about their backs hurting you can keep going...kind of like the turtle and the hare story...
                          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

the reason why i picked one up is because there was no SV650's around...plus the blue ones are infested by female riders around here.

but another reason why i got one is because there are SO many of them out there, i figure replacement parts would be easy to find.

plus it was one of the non-SS bike (that i'd kill myself on) with full fairings with cheap insurance (through state farm). versus the SV which would have been $100 more with NO fairing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                              If the Katana is such a great bike why is it being discontinued??

Although I don't understand why, in looking at the Recycler.com, the resale value of a used Katana is higher than a used Busa?? How did that happen?

Seriously I love my Katana. It's old but like said above it is reliable, fun to ride and probably the best on the street. If you plan to do a lot of track riding I would suggest one of the SS bikes but if you are doing every day commuting then the Kat is a really good bike for that. Take your buddies for a long ride. A good 3 to 4 hour ride should prove to them the Kat isn't junk...while they whine about their backs hurting you can keep going...kind of like the turtle and the hare story...
                              I hear ya on the back hurting thing, After riding my buddies r6 for about 30 mins, my back and my wrists hurt like hell!!

Comment

Originally posted by toezter
                                the reason why i picked one up is because there was no SV650's around...plus the blue ones are infested by female riders around here.

but another reason why i got one is because there are SO many of them out there, i figure replacement parts would be easy to find.

plus it was one of the non-SS bike (that i'd kill myself on) with full fairings with cheap insurance (through state farm). versus the SV which would have been $100 more with NO fairing.
                                One of my friends had a sv650 for sale, so I took it for a ride, nice bike and all, but I didnt like the look of it. He wanted 3500 for it, wich isnt a bad price, but if i was gonna spend that much money, I wanted something I like the looks of. The katana has kick ass looks, without the kick ass price.

Comment

Working...
                                X