X

what is a katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a katana?

I always thought my bike (1991 gsx600F) was a kat. I was told yesterday that it wasn't. The Kats are the GS models and the gsx after 96. Doesn't sound right to me. Is it or isn't it? What did they class as a Kat and when did the bandits start?

I think you have a KAT GSXF. I could be wrong but I really think you have a katana
    "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

It may have been different in your country, but here in the US they were called the Katana.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

now anyone correct me if i am wrong but i believe that all gsx are katanas. i heard that gsx is the foreign name for the bike and that is what they are called where they are made but in the us they all are called katanas

Comment

GSX-F is a Katana is a GSXF.... A rose by any other name.....

GSF600/1200 is a Bandit.

My understanding is that "katana" was the name plate used in the US and Canada while the rest of the world gets tagged as the GSXF. The reason (at least in part) being because in europe the Katana is a 50cc scooter.
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

that clears that up. thanks.

oh and macgyver .. nice bike. I haven't seen another black one bar mine. The guy I brought my bike off painted it black. I like it. I get alot of comments about how it should be repainted a different colour.

Comment

oh and macgyver .. nice bike. I haven't seen another black one bar mine. The guy I brought my bike off painted it black. I like it. I get alot of comments about how it should be repainted a different colour.
              Thanks for the compliment but my bike is a gunmetal type color not black. was originally thinking of paintint it all black but i believe i like the gunmetal color much better. dont see to many gunmetal katanas riding around either

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim

GSF600/1200 is a Bandit.

My understanding is that "katana" was the name plate used in the US and Canada while the rest of the world gets tagged as the GSXF. The reason (at least in part) being because in europe the Katana is a 50cc scooter.
                +1. From what I've read in the past, the GSXF designation in Europe was the result of a settlement in a copyright infringement lawsuit.
                ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

A black bike?

Hey Cowboy...If you wanna see a cool black bike...Look at BEARKAT'S bike...Usually it is in the banner at the top of the page. I blatantly ripped off his tail fairing hack idea, and I give him kudos whenever I can for that...
                  Screw whales, Save the titties!

Comment

Re: A black bike?

Originally posted by kelly
                    Hey Cowboy...If you wanna see a cool black bike...Look at BEARKAT'S bike...Usually it is in the banner at the top of the page. I blatantly ripped off his tail fairing hack idea, and I give him kudos whenever I can for that...
                    Cool Black bike?

Thanks Kelly...
                    1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                    2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                    Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
                      +1. From what I've read in the past, the GSXF designation in Europe was the result of a settlement in a copyright infringement lawsuit.
                      Got a link for that??
                      Curious...
                      Mostly because they're marketing the AY50 under the Katana name in Europe.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim

GSF600/1200 is a Bandit.

Yep, doing a google search on "suzuki katana" brings up this as the first result, with subsequent pages full of similar photos

Comment

Well thats just not right... They are trying to dumb down our Powerful Kats by having it be a 50cc scooter overseas... GRRRRRRR...
                          2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                          Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                          "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                          Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                          Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                          "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

do a search on "katana" and you'll get the scooter, the kat as we know it, as well as japanese katana sword. The katana is truely a multi faceted piece of artwork

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                              do a search on "katana" and you'll get the scooter, the kat as we know it, as well as japanese katana sword. The katana is truely a multi faceted piece of artwork
                              I did write up this quite some time ago:

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X