No announcement yet.
X

Gear vs. No Gear Perceptions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well on my limited budget i bought some gear today need some pants that will go over regular pants though maybe this weekend i have to get my bike running also.
    sigpic

Comment

Anyone that has suggestions on pants please let me know I really would like to find a good pair.
      Chris Powell

Comment

Originally posted by Cadmaster View Post
        Anyone that has suggestions on pants please let me know I really would like to find a good pair.
        I have the mesh version of the Apollo 2 pants (Titanium Air 3) and they fit well and are comfortable. These just substitute the Carbolex for the mesh.

I'm a gear guy, but I have been known to skip the pants and wear jeans. But I know full well that the denim is only going to give me about 12 inches of travel before the skin starts coming off too. But I am an adult and can decide what risks I am will to take. That being said, the trick to buying gear on a budget is finding year end deals and closeouts. You may not get the exact color or style you would normally choose, but once you have everything you need, you can replace each piece with something you like better as your budget allows.

I am going to do a trackday this year, but didn't have $600+ to put into a set of leathers. But I got a New Years Day deal at Cycle Gear for a set of Frank Thomas leathers for $240... they wouldn't be my first choice, but they were at "my price"...
        Sold: 2001 Katana 600
        Bought: 2007 Kawasaki Z1000

Still waiting for my Braada Cowl... 62 weeks and counting... I'm told it will be worth the wait...

Comment

I have a cyclegear near me and thats where i got my stuff. The Frank Thomas stuff doesn't bad or cheaply made at all.
          sigpic

Comment

Ya, your right CP its a thread from the grave, but there's some good stuff in there. I hadn't run across this one before.

I personally hadn't put a priority on riding pants. Luckily I was wearing some insulated carhart overalls the other day when I hit some frost and the bike slid out from under me. Small incident, but it brought home the fact that jeans alone would have left me bleeding. Riding pants for all weather conditions just bumped themselves up the priority list as a result.

My .02
            ND

Comment

I have a part time job and very little money. But I spend the money cause i have already been in a wreck. the car pulled out in front of us and we hit him at 55mph. a helmet is the most important, but wearing all ur gear will save your life!

Comment

Originally posted by KATryan View Post
                I have a part time job and very little money. But I spend the money cause i have already been in a wreck. the car pulled out in front of us and we hit him at 55mph. a helmet is the most important, but wearing all ur gear will save your life!
                A set of knee armor (type that straps to your legs under your pants) isn't that expensive compared to riding pants, and won't go bad in the same time-frame as a set of pants. Better investment if times are tight!

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Owl View Post
                  I am strictly against any laws saying a person has to do something that some over glorified idiot wants and thinks tyranny is the way to go. I am strictly in favor of the people wearing what they feel comfortable with. It's their body and should be their choice -- well -- it should be.

I have to totally disagree with this. I think that the only aw that is out there for Riders in some but not all states is that they require you to wear a helmet. I think no matter what you preference on gear you should always wear a helmet.
                  Chris Powell

Comment

I am strictly against any laws saying a person has to do something that some over glorified idiot wants and thinks tyranny is the way to go. I am strictly in favor of the people wearing what they feel comfortable with. It's their body and should be their choice -- well -- it should be.

Funny thing about that is people will ***** and complain about their rights to wear what ever the want bla bla bla but nobody ever complains about this at the tracks or an MSF training. You won't get anywhere with an argument there. Facts prove ther is much less rish of death and injury when wearing proper gear. You don't play by the rules you don't ride...

To apply that to the street... when your choice to wear what you want GREATLY affects me and my costs for insurance because of high rate of motorcyle crashes and injurys because some people refuse to wear helmets and proper gear that will protect them from injurys... well then We have a problem. Not to mention us tax payers picking up the tab for your medical bills, disability and welfare after you can't work anymore because you now a veggie or unable to work because of your own stipidity. I feel a lot more compassion for somone that at least tried to protect them self.

If more people would wear proper gear or if the "man" made in manditiory you would see far less injurys and I bet insurance rates would be a lot less.

I guess is everyone has the right to wear any gear or not we should all have the right to chose between having insurance or not. i don't think anyone that was ever hit by an uninsured driver will share this same feeling.

I said years ago I would not shed a tear when Indian Larry took a piece of road dibris to the face or cracked his head to a seat stand. 6 months later hes where? DEAD
                    I don't feel bad for him at all. I do however feel soory for his freinds and family the begged him to wear a helmet. He could have died an absolute legend that did a lot more then what he was able to finish. Instead he died as an idiot.
                    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-11-2009, 05:25 PM.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

This is a very touchy subject and each and everyone of us has our own personal opinion of what is right for each of us.
                      It is indeed a very personal opinion topic. But it's also one that you'll commonly see as AGATT here at KR in general. Why? Because of the maturity of the riders here as a whole.

Gear arguments are fine when you haven't had to hold someone's life in your hands, when you haven't lost a close friend to a lack of gear, when you haven't left a skin trail down the roadway. Once those things happen, you start preaching gear as a general rule.

Yes, I don't like the gov't getting any more involved in gear than I like the idea of them getting involved in scanning every email I send (less big-brother, not more). But the reality is that a rider's death (or worse, his vegetable state, loss of limbs, recovery time, etc.) is almost always born as societal costs that extend far beyond him/her. I live in a state that has a no-helmet clause if you carry $10k in any health insurance (not specifically PIP) that will cover you in case of an accident; since the helmet law was repealed, the death & serious wounding rate has skyrocketed. What does this mean to me personally? It means that insurance for my bike is equivalent to the cost of the bike across any three-year span, or way more than I'd ever care to pay (motorcycle insurance is optional here under most circumstances); it is cheaper to carry $1 MIL accidental injury policy that will cover me in any case (MC or otherwise) than it is to carry $10k in PIP... It also means that I have to (through taxes) carry the cost of many riders who incur injuries exceeding $10k of coverage (or whatever coverage they may have).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I wear full gear, I could give a **** about what anyone else does
                        95 suZuki katana
                        Autozone rattlecan MoD

Comment

and as most Americans know, 10K of coverage does little for you...

We had a friend ride to Daytona with a group of freinds one of them without travel/health insurance.
                          He though he was having a heart attack so they rushed him to the hospital via ambulance where he was tested , treated observed overnight. He was released the next day with a perscription for indigestion/heart burn pills. His cost? over 9k
                          Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-11-2009, 09:44 PM.
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

For Cyber.

I tried riding without a helmet for a little while when I was out of state (ohio). Now this was an experiment, been in a state requiring a helmet since I started riding. Now, It makes no difference, my gear stays on. People can call me a wussy, sissyboy, I could care less. I've already went down, and it hurt, probably would have been twice as bad without gear. Now, when they go down, I wont hear no flak for ATGATT anymore, (having their opinion change, not dying).

As far as these guys pumping our insurance rates up, well, happens all the time, people cant be responsible for anything, or theirselves, so I dont HATE helmet laws. I'm all for riders rights, but having no helmet law is like giving a sex starved mentally unstable hillbilly a gun and putting him in a women's convention. He wont be responsible for his actions after he's finished, and neither are helmetless riders.
                            Currently Riding:
                            1995 Katana 600
                            V&H Exhaust
                            Jet Kit

SOLD
                            2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                            1987 XV700 Bobber
                            REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                              It is indeed a very personal opinion topic. But it's also one that you'll commonly see as AGATT here at KR in general. Why? Because of the maturity of the riders here as a whole.

maturity is any eye of the beholder. I think that every person should make up their own mind as to what to wear. I don't think any other person should be able to force him against his will to wear something he doesn't want to wear, or that will put his life in jeopardy. I do believe that is the premise behind our country -- freedom -- and I am a firm believer in it. I will not back down from that in any way manner shape or form. I very seriously doubt that any rider here wears that much more gear than I do, but that is my choice and should not have anything to do with you or anyone else. I don't mean that venomously but in a soft factual tone.

Gear arguments are fine when you haven't had to hold someone's life in your hands, when you haven't lost a close friend to a lack of gear, when you haven't left a skin trail down the roadway. Once those things happen, you start preaching gear as a general rule.
                              in 1949 there was 37 of us and today I am the last one alive. Seven of those died in an automobile accidents ( I held three of them while they died, we was following them at the time). The rest just died of old age, no one has died in a motorcycle accident as of yet -- who knows about tomorrow.in this

Yes, I don't like the gov't getting any more involved in gear than I like the idea of them getting involved in scanning every email I send (less big-brother, not more). But the reality is that a rider's death (or worse, his vegetable state, loss of limbs, recovery time, etc.) is almost always born as societal costs that extend far beyond him/her. I live in a state that has a no-helmet clause if you carry $10k in any health insurance (not specifically PIP) that will cover you in case of an accident; since the helmet law was repealed, the death & serious wounding rate has skyrocketed. What does this mean to me personally? It means that insurance for my bike is equivalent to the cost of the bike across any three-year span, or way more than I'd ever care to pay (motorcycle insurance is optional here under most circumstances); it is cheaper to carry $1 MIL accidental injury policy that will cover me in any case (MC or otherwise) than it is to carry $10k in PIP... It also means that I have to (through taxes) carry the cost of many riders who incur injuries exceeding $10k of coverage (or whatever coverage they may have).
                              I was going to say that I had just as much insurance as you do but then i saw how much you had. I personally have about half of what you do, but at my age and as brittle as my bones are, I am dead the moment I hit the asphalt, no matter how much I wear. Catastrophic motorcycle injuries and head injuries have been on a rapid increase in my state which has a mandatory helmet law. The problem is too many newbies trying to be a racer. Driving so for beyond their abilities, and the result is picking helmet out of their brains (the last one I saw two weeks ago was a shoeie helmet inside of what was left of his brain's. no insurance or driving license but he was wearing a helmet.

I can guarantee you one thing, society will not have to pick up my bill.

I think education that is gently and kindly put forth is the best way to get people to ride safely and to educate them on what will happen if they wear flip flops and Bermuda shorts.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

Originally posted by Cadmaster View Post
                              I have to totally disagree with this. I think that the only aw that is out there for Riders in some but not all states is that they require you to wear a helmet. I think no matter what you preference on gear you should always wear a helmet.
                              Ahhhhhh but that is your thought and belief--are you saying that you are the only one that has the freedom and rights to have a thought? well--except the ones that have the same thought you do.

I am going to take a guess and say that I have been wearing a helmet (first a skull cap, then an open face because I cant wear a full helmet.) for twice your life span. This is not about helmets, its about rights and having the freedom to think differently from someone else.
                              Last edited by Owl; 01-11-2009, 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X