X

Gear vs. No Gear Perceptions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
    One thing I've consistingly noticed is that most people that wear gear neglect pants. Why is that? I feel you are very likely to injure knees and slide on you legs in an accident. Any thoughts?
    Sizing and lack of information.
    Sizing: Unless you happen to match a specific size-matrix (i.e. - everyone with a 32" inseam will have a 34" waist sort of thing) it can be very hard or impossible to find high-caliber riding pants. I know I'll be taking the ones I bought last month out to be tailored (they're almost 6" too long, knee pucks and gaurds in the wrong location for my inseam), and it will set me back quite a few $$.
    Lack of information: For years we've been told denim is tough, strong stuff. And compared to what many dress pants are made of, it is. But many don't realize that strong stuff isn't nearly strong enough.

Originally posted by bobs
    By the way: I respect someone who smokes while riding with no helmet. At least they're consistent!.

That's part of why I have flip-up helmets

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

to all those who criticised me for saying gear is expensive:
      are you married? do you have children? kind of hard to justify a $300 jacket when little johnny needs a new pair of shoes or school supplies.

to those who reccomended the discount sites I will look into it thanks.

and I generally don't ride very hard because I don't have much experience. and I have no intention of going on the moto gp circuit. sure I get on it once in a while and hope I never have a crash. I will get gear as finances allow I've just got better things to spend my money on right now. you don't HAVE to buy all that gear to enjoy riding. and you can protect yourself without looking like matt mladin. as has been said its personal choice wether you gear up or not.

Comment

If you're looking for good deals on gear don't forget about eBay. I just got a pair of Sidi Strada Tepor Evo Boots that aren't even broken in for $100. I only buy from private sellers with good feedback - not big stores. If you're looking for something at a good price and you're sure about your size I think eBay is a great place for good deals on gear. Good luck.
        ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob
          to all those who criticised me for saying gear is expensive:
          are you married? do you have children? kind of hard to justify a $300 jacket when little johnny needs a new pair of shoes or school supplies.
          Yes, I'm married (21 yrs) with three kids (15.5, 13, 10). They all depend upon me as the sole breadwinner. That's why I protect myself.

to those who reccomended the discount sites I will look into it thanks.
          I hope they're useful to you! I can't afford top-notch leathers, or Aerostitch textiles, but with places like NewEnough at least I can be responsible within my means.

and I generally don't ride very hard because I don't have much experience. and I have no intention of going on the moto gp circuit. sure I get on it once in a while and hope I never have a crash. I will get gear as finances allow I've just got better things to spend my money on right now. you don't HAVE to buy all that gear to enjoy riding. and you can protect yourself without looking like matt mladin. as has been said its personal choice wether you gear up or not.
          It doesn't matter how hard I ride. I'm more concerned about the risk factors over which I have less control - other road users and changing surface conditions and the dynamic environment in general. I hope to never find myself sliding across asphalt, but when it happens I want some protection between the road and my skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
            One thing I've consistingly noticed is that most people that wear gear neglect pants. Why is that? I feel you are very likely to injure knees and slide on you legs in an accident. Any thoughts?
            Alot that comes from, IMO atleast... its pretty easy to throw on a jacket, lid and gloves and head off for ride to work or wherever..but to put riding pants on, many times isnt "feasable" for some depending on where they are going so they dont bother. Or they dont want to bungee cord a pair of pants to the seat and then change at their destination. Im not saying its right or wrong to think that way, but thats a big part of it I think atleast. Plus they figure, well atleast I have jeans on so that should be "ok".

Comment

i participated in this debate passionately on the "other site", so I won't really get into it again here. my opinion is simple...it is a matter of personal choice. I wear my gear now....full leathers or full textile, depending on the temp outside....but somedays I will just go in shorts and workboots with a helmet and gloves if I am just putting around town or heading to the beach. I don't care what anyone thinks about it....and I don't care what anyone else does. like I said...it is your own choice to make yourself....not to be made by others.

I will even take the helmet off occassionally if I am where it permits. if anyone has a problem with that...it is their problem, not mine. If I dump and crack my skull open, it is my problem...not theirs.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

to all those who criticised me for saying gear is expensive...
                What size are you? pants, shirt, etc...

I'm sure at least some of use have gear that we've outgrown that might fit... I'll put up a JR Sonic perforated leather jacket for you if it'll fit, or a pair of leather pants (solid, jean-style) if those will fit. Your kids will thank you if come home whole.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I ride with all my gear on and have stopped to talk with a couple friends who do more parking than riding (cruisers) and they throw some jabs my way. I just let it roll.

www.3dflag.com

Comment

I have my HJC helmet and some gloves, i wear a long sleeve shirt and jeans....The jacket is coming ASAP, as soon as i get things situated.....Its very hot with all those things on, but worth it in the end....

-Squid-
                    2006 Katana 600, Two Bro's - HID's
                    2004 Dodge Ram HEMI, lots of mods..
                    2008 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4, Mud tires

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      to all those who criticised me for saying gear is expensive...
                      What size are you? pants, shirt, etc...

I'm sure at least some of use have gear that we've outgrown that might fit... I'll put up a JR Sonic perforated leather jacket for you if it'll fit, or a pair of leather pants (solid, jean-style) if those will fit. Your kids will thank you if come home whole.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      thank you cyber that is very nice of you. but I am a pretty big guy Ive tried stuff on at jimmies store and some 3x jackets fit and some don't. (I can wear a 2x regular jacket and shirt but gear runs small) I wear 44 waist jeans so since gear usually runs small I don't know what size pants would fit.

thats another reason I haven't really pushed getting some gear, I am still trying to get some weight off and didnt want to buy gear and then have to buy more when I lost the pounds. ( I know excuses excuses).

Comment

thank you cyber that is very nice of you. but I am a pretty big guy Ive tried stuff on at jimmies store and some 3x jackets fit and some don't. (I can wear a 2x regular jacket and shirt but gear runs small) I wear 44 waist jeans so since gear usually runs small I don't know what size pants would fit.

thats another reason I haven't really pushed getting some gear, I am still trying to get some weight off and didnt want to buy gear and then have to buy more when I lost the pounds. ( I know excuses excuses).
                        The leather pants won't fit (they're size 33US). The Sonic Perforated probably won't fit either (it's size 42). I do have a pair of Fieldsheer Titanium Air summer riding pants I picked up in a 44 about three weeks ago that I meant to send back (way too big for me) that you could have at what I paid on close-out -- $55 + S&H -- if you want them. Gimme a heads up if you don't want me to send 'em back.

Combination Ballistic Nylon / Ultra-Breathable, Abrasion Resistant, Polyester Mesh outer
                        Polyester Mesh Non-allergenic Inner Liner
                        Removable CE Armor in knees and shin areas
                        SP Comfort/Protective Foam over the Kidneys, Hips, Tail Bone, Thigh, Knee and Shin
                        2 Zippered Pant Pockets
                        8” Waist Zipper
                        Full circumference waist zipper
                        Sure Grip waist prevents shirts from riding up
                        Elasticized Rear Waist
                        Velcro Adjustable Waist
                        Front Crotch Zip, with Flap
                        Fieldsheer "PhosLite" Reflective material
                        Velcro adjustable waist straps
                        Heavy Duty Aramid Stretch Panels for enhanced mobility in the Crotch, and Calf Area
                        Leg Zip With Flap

UPDATE: SOLD

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

How much protection are pants such as those just posted by CP going offer? Will they last at all on the highway or is leather the only option there?

Comment

Originally posted by Rax
                            How much protection are pants such as those just posted by CP going offer? Will they last at all on the highway or is leather the only option there?
                            You'll probably get some skin abrasion if you go down at speed, but they are padded and reinforced in all the critical areas (padded knees, shins, hips, tailbone, plus multiple layers of fabric at the knees and butt, and they rise up over the top of the hipbones to cover the area often exposed in a slide). My best guess: they give you about 65% of the protection of good 1.2mm padded leathers that are cut similarly and fit properly. Or, put another way, about 15 times more protection than a standard set of Levi's.

Those pants aren't light in the physical sense (they weigh much more than I expected), but do breathe. The disadvantage to ballistic nylons is that it doesn't slow you down as well as leather, it offers up no fire protection, and the nylon will weaken with over three to five years of regular use with age and UV exposure. On the upside, you can wear these when it's 90 and very humid outside without dying of the heat...

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wearing shorts and riding is just plain Gay..Everything else I think is a riders choice. Helmet Gloves Boots and Long Pants a must,in my book anyway. I work construction and a dude on a HD came through are site,its a pretty long and smooth road afteryou get past us, so he decides to pull an Indian Larry,well he fell. And got hurt. Guess where? His face.Road rash,facial injuries and most importantly he was embarrassed..Guess what he got ticketed for......illegal skull cap...

Comment

Originally posted by slayergsxf1
                                Wearing shorts and riding is just plain Gay..Everything else I think is a riders choice. Helmet Gloves Boots and Long Pants a must,in my book anyway. I work construction and a dude on a HD came through are site,its a pretty long and smooth road afteryou get past us, so he decides to pull an Indian Larry,well he fell. And got hurt. Guess where? His face.Road rash,facial injuries and most importantly he was embarrassed..Guess what he got ticketed for......illegal skull cap...
                                He is lucky that he did not really "pull an Indian Larry". It does not take a lot to end up in a lot of trouble.

For those people that believe that they are too good of a rider to have an accident:

FYI the guy who posted the thread above has been riding for over 20 years. He is an ex racer as well and currently puts 20k+ miles on his bike every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X