My Gsxf/Gsxr1100 hybrid.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Gsxf/Gsxr1100 hybrid.

Thought i would introduce myself with my Powerscreen build

It all started when my brother brought this 1100f for it's engine/carbs to fit into his 86 gsxr1100g slabby. And for putting his gsxr back together,he gave me the gsx rolling chassis and his Knackered 1052cc engine(Flowed head,kent cams,etc).
    Now,I also own an 89 Gsxr1100k with 90 Gsxr750L usd front end and back wheel,but it is getting a real chore to ride the old girl(slingshot Gsxr's have really cramped riding position),as,my hip and back are totally knackered(steel plates and broken bones from a bike crash in 95).But i really miss riding my bikes
    So i sat on the gsx and was shocked at how comfy they are(plus the powerscreen is ace,up down,up,down ),but just a tad on the heavy side,so I looked at my gsxr and looked at the gsx,then hatched a plan to combine the two.

This will be the gsx frame,swinging arm(may swap this for the 11k arm,it is slightly lighter),rear brake assembly,switchgear,elctrics,airbox and bodywork.
    And the gsxr engine,carbs(bst36ss),airbox rubbers,usd front end,slingshot curved oil cooler,braided oil-cooler hoses and 5.5" rear wheel.
    With some aftermarket risers,flat pull-back bars,R6 1/4 turn throttle tube,and the cable clutch conversion(I prefer these,as you get more adjustment and it weighs less than the hyd. setup) I was running on my 11k, home-made fish shape sprocket cover,srad600 clutch lever assembly and cable,Micron gsxr750l 4-1 headers and link pipe,One off end can,Gsxr400/Rgv250 mudguard(fender),Pretech six pot calipers,Hel brake hoses all round,Tl1000s 14mm master cylinder,Brembo reservoir, cnc levers and a hagon gsxr1100ws(or sv1000 shock).

So far I have swapped the front end and rear wheel.This went together surprisingly easy,as the gsx uses the same length stem and the same size bearings as the gsxr's. And the back wheel slotted straight into the gsx arm,even the torque arm has plenty of clearance for the wider 180 tyre.
    I ran into a slight snag on the rear brake,as I run a 220mm rear disc/hanger from the slabby 750/1100's,but wanted to keep the top mount gsx caliper and torque(Gsxr torque arms bolt to the frame and calipers are bottom mount),but the gsx caliper is a different bolt spacing to the bottom mount calipers(I use an sv650 one on my gsxr).So I will have to go back to a 240mm (slingshot/bandit) disc and the gsx caliper hanger,not a big problem really.

Just doing the front and back end swap,as saved me 30kg.The top yoke(triple)and bars weighed in at 5kg alone,which is alot compared to gsxr one. That weighs in at just over 1/2 a kg and that includes the top yoke,risers,bars
    It will take a while to finish,but hope to get out on it before winter(touch wood).
    Incidently my gsxr is going back together as well,after the frame and the new shorter 88/89 gsxr750j/k swinging arm are powder-coated.I am re-building the knackered(rings had gone and was down on compression,plus chucking oil out the exhaust) 1052 slabby engine and taking it out to 1109cc with bst38ss carbs.This was just the excuse i needed to give her a re-build
    I may even stick the 1109 in the powerscreen

My Gsxr1100k before the strip.

My new Gsx1100f before the strip

Where the gsx1100f engine and carbs going.

Sans engine/carbs and measure up for wheels.

New running gear fitted

And Yep,my dining room doubles as my garage(why the floor is rough,but clean,I must by some tiles,one day),just one of the joys of being single

Wow! That Barry Sheene replica racer_makes my mouth water!!!
    Love those colors!
    Your combo-swap project is so efficient too, like nothing's gonna be wasted.
    I understand the comfy riding position of the 1100K, but can you get that bike down weight? Like only 35 stone?
    Best O' luck!
    PS: No woman in that house!

Comment

Welcome, awesome project
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Nice work! Looking good.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

1) What year Katana is that ? ... the 1988 swingarm is different than later models.
          2) Did you have to space the rear wheel with washers ?
          3) Did you use the GSXR sprocket carrier/hub or the Kat 1100 piece ?
          4) What left side hub spacer did you use (Kat1100 or GSXR) ?
          5) You may run in to clearance problems with that USD front end being too low. Another member installed a 95 GSXR 750 front end and it was so low it bottomed out. You can only lower the Katana 1100 1 1/4" (31mm) or the horn hits the fender. EDIT: Thats with the stock 750 springs. Aftermarket springs should prevent this problem.
          This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

Info & discussions about our Big Brothers - the 1100 Kats

6) Looking good ! Keep it up !
          Last edited by katanarider; 07-15-2016, 01:41 PM.
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Working...
          X