No announcement yet.
X

Mikuni float bowl needles $56.00 each?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might just do that.. Money (or lack of it) is a pretty big motivator!

Comment

A buddy of mine (really good with all kinds of carbs cars/bikes) helped me set mine up years ago. Mine are off the bike now and I'll be going through them again myself.

Take lots of pics for yourself. Look at the BikeBandit et al microfiche and official service manual to understand how it all goes back together again.

HUGE word of advice: Get yourself a set of JIS (Japanese Industrial Screw) drivers because there isn't even one "Phillips" screw on ANY of those carbs. They are JIS. People replace the diaphragm lid screws and bowl fasteners because they are mostly uninformed and strip the screw heads to oblivion. If you use a JIS driver, they'll come apart and go right back on as designed.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
        If you use a JIS driver, they'll come apart and go right back on as designed.
        He right, they are JIS screws, but they are still going to strip 50% of the time. I don't replace the screws with socket caps because I'm uninformed. I replace them because it makes sense. If you want to think it's because I'm an idiot, we can go with that. Trust me, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Comment

I used a Impact Screw Driver to remove ALL of my screws then soaked them in Pine Sol. They look 100% brand new without even one little sign of fatigue. As far as re-installing them, I've not gotten to that point yet because I'm still waiting for more parts to arrive in the mail. I believe or at least I hope I can put them back together one more time with a nice fitting phillips head before having to replace them.
          Trying to save a few dollars myself.
          EDIT: Actually, my impact driver has removable bits. Those types of bits may be JIS type
          Last edited by katanarider; 05-06-2016, 03:02 PM.
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            ...If you want to think it's because I'm an idiot, we can go with that...
            Umm...Didn't have YOU specifically in mind AT ALL when I mentioned JIS...Just informing those who may not know.

Many have no clue about JIS...especially if they are pulling carbs off for the first time AND are on a budget.

I buy boxes of hardware from McMaster because they are cheaper and good to have around. Most will buy a ripoff pre-made fastener kit, which many times isn't necessary. If the screws are soft & crappy replace them...otherwise reuse them.

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
              EDIT: Actually, my impact driver has removable bits. Those types of bits may be JIS type
              They aren't, they don't make them, I've checked. A #2 phillips bit works perfectly. I use a hand held impact on every carb screw. I don't use a hammer, I just use an impact by hand. I have a set of JIS drivers. I use the impact first every time.

then soaked them in Pine Sol.
              Trying to save a few dollars myself.
              We get it All you had to say was Pine-Sol

I buy boxes of hardware from McMaster.
              I go the McMaster-Carr route too. 500 screws at a time.
              Last edited by arsenic; 05-06-2016, 05:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

My driver bits are Craftsman
                I checked the Pine Sol web site and it says not to use on Aluminum.
                Even though they make that statement, I had really good results. They look so clean that they have a rainbow color reflection on the aluminum now I soaked the bodies first then the screws (EDIT:scrub with old tooth brush after soaking). As the solution becomes dirty I believe it makes the Pine Sol acidic. The reason I say this is because after all the critical parts were clean, I tried to use the dirty Pine Sol on some brass pieces. It seamed to pit them and not clean them at all, making them worse actually. Then pour the old solution on grease spots in your drive way Its not good for septic tanks as it kills the good bacteria.
                Last edited by katanarider; 05-06-2016, 07:16 PM.

Comment

My driver bits are Craftsman
                  I checked the Pine Sol web site and it says not to use on Aluminum.
                  Even though they make that statement, I had really good results. They look so clean that they have a rainbow color reflection on the aluminum now I soaked the bodies first then the screws. As the solution becomes dirty I believe it makes the Pine Sol acidic. The reason I say this is because after all the critical parts were clean, I tried to use the dirty Pine Sol on some brass pieces. It seamed to pit them and not clean them at all, making them worse actually. Then pour the old solution on grease spots in your drive way Its not good for septic tanks as it kills the good bacteria.
                  My bits are Craftsman also. Lets look at this logically. Craftsman is all about "Made in America". Do you really think Made in America is going to use Japanese Industry Standard?
                  Last edited by arsenic; 05-06-2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

But, they aren't any more.....
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      Correct, at least not all of the pieces. Some are, some aren't.

Comment

Stuff made in China isn't Japanese Industry Standard either... just sayin'

Comment

Neither is Rotella Triple-T oil, but its JASO rated.

Comment

Craftsman is Taiwan... And I do have a JIS craftsman driver. Well not so good any more, it is rather old...at least 10 years.. I didn't get it at the store, I had to order it.
                            Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-06-2016, 07:51 PM.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Impact rated JIS bits made in Japan

Caveat is that they are 8mm and not 1/4" like most electric impact drivers. For under $10 I might order up a set along with 8mm or 5/16" nut drivers and just epoxy them in. I've done this before for 1/8" hex because SnapOn was unobtanium on the truck...They hold up fine via potted in w/epoxy to 1/4" drive impact drivers.

Crapsman...Sockets, screwdrivers and box wrenches are fine for most things. Ratchets go right into the trash. It's saying something when HF ratchets are better. I've invested in SnapOn ratchets. You can get them cheaper on Ebay used then rebuild them yourself. The 4 degree ones are sweet...

For JIS I got the Hozan from Amazon.

Comment

Craftsman is Taiwan...
                                Still not Japan.

Crapsman...Sockets, screwdrivers and box wrenches are fine for most things. Ratchets go right into the trash. It's saying something when HF ratchets are better.
                                I have no response to this, I'm speechless.
                                Last edited by arsenic; 05-06-2016, 08:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X