X

Ever seen these rims on a 1100 ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever seen these rims on a 1100 ?

While looking for parts on the web I found this 1100 for sale, thought I would share. Can someone enlighten me to what bike these rims came from ?
    I've never seen these on a 1100. I was thinking GSXR but I'm not sure since the forks appear stock. I don't know...
    Take a look:
    Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

EDIT: Ok, after looking really good all night. They do appear to be from a 90 GSXR. I just wasn't aware the spokes were slanted like that.
    Last edited by katanarider; 05-24-2015, 01:52 PM.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
    While looking for parts on the web I found this 1100 for sale, thought I would share. Can someone enlighten me to what bike these rims came from ?
    I've never seen these on a 1100. I was thinking GSXR but I'm not sure since the forks appear stock. I don't know...
    Take a look:
    Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

EDIT: Ok, after looking really good all night. They do appear to be from a 90 GSXR. I just wasn't aware the spokes were slanted like that.

Those are wheels that would be common for the swap to that bike.

Both front and back are swept spoke, and appear to be using the OEM axle sizes.

With just the info I can see... I would say they are..

90-92 GSXR 750/1100 wheels. The front is definitely not that new as you suggested, though it is possible they are not from the same model. The 90s bandit front wheel also had swept spokes with a 3.5" rim.

Specifically though... The rear wheel is a 6 slot cush drive (can tell by the number of bolts on the sprocket) so that really does limit it to the GSXR rear and a 5.5" wheel. The bandit was 4.5" and 5 slot.

The front wheel had one rotor removed but the spokes are way too thick to be the new GSXr wheels.

The add does say "polished GSX" wheels. I'd say the 90-92 750/1100 GSXR wheels is probably the most likely for both. It can be done, with the appropriate spacers.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for a not criticizing too bad ...lol I can always rely on a excellent response from you. Yeah, I was under the impression the next generation GSXR wheel was the one that people used for the swap, the ones with the straight spoke. Thats the only ones I've seen anyway. I"m no expert, of course. Still a cool bike tho. I kind of like the way the speakers are mounted too.

Comment

That's exactly the same front wheel I used although the missing right rotor/caliper would worry me a lot. Looking at the photo, I'm not sure how Kreylyn can tell whether that's a 5 or 6 bolt cush drive/sprocket. If it's a 5-bolt, the rear wheel could also be a RF600R 4.5" rim.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          That's exactly the same front wheel I used although the missing right rotor/caliper would worry me a lot.
          Did you do a write up or take pics ? I remember reading spacers had to be made if the forks were not swapped.
          On a side note, whats the name of the hard Saddle bags for these bikes ?
          I've had pretty good luck finds parts lately (cheap too) and those bags are on my list.

Comment

Bills:

Mine - not completed yet but has some relavent info. This one is also an entire build thread instead of just 17". Skip to post 31 and start from there.

Info & discussions about our Big Brothers - the 1100 Kats

You can use whatever bags you like. No one sells the mounting systems anymore so you need to custom build or modify a set.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              That's exactly the same front wheel I used although the missing right rotor/caliper would worry me a lot. Looking at the photo, I'm not sure how Kreylyn can tell whether that's a 5 or 6 bolt cush drive/sprocket. If it's a 5-bolt, the rear wheel could also be a RF600R 4.5" rim.

First pic, you can clearly see 2 of the nuts that hold the sprocket on just above the swingarm. The sprocket is designed with multiple large holes most of which are visable or enough are that you can discern how many of them there are. You can clearly see the nuts are placed between the hole design. With the additional knowledge that the sprocket bolts are spaced between the cush drive fins, and the picture clearly shows that it would take 6 nuts to make that a symmetrical setup (count the large holes...) it's a 6 slot cush drive.

*insert Sherlock Holmes ref here. *

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I emailed the seller of the bike before I got any responses from you guys.
                I just received a reply back and this is it exact, I copied and pasted.

"The rims are GXR 1100 any year from 1990-92 and they fit the bike perfectly. You also need to change the calipers.Hope it helps"

Any disputes ?

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                  I emailed the seller of the bike before I got any responses from you guys.
                  I just received a reply back and this is it exact, I copied and pasted.

"The rims are GXR 1100 any year from 1990-92 and they fit the bike perfectly. You also need to change the calipers.Hope it helps"

Any disputes ?

GSXR 750/1100s in those years used the same wheels.

I have no comment on the caliper situation as I've not done the swap myself.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Either calipers or rotors need swapping around some. I'm running pre rotors and b12 calipers (gen 1)
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Just by looking at the speedometer hubs, I can tell those are different.
                      Ebay pictures come in so handy some times.
                      I'm not sure if thats a big deal or not.

Why did you other guys use the Katana 17" wheel over the GSXR ? Was it because it was a left over part /easier on the wallet ?
                      Last edited by katanarider; 11-06-2014, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Easier to find and cheaper. It's just a rim. Just because it came off a GSXR doesn't mean it will make your bike faster or handle better.

I went with the ones I did (GSXR front, rf600 rear) because there was more information directly regarding their use so I knew exactly which parts to get. Normally I'd go for the least expensive final route even if that meant making some mistakes along the way, but I only had a few weeks worth of garage time to use, so had to get it right the 1st time.
                        Last edited by shpielers; 11-06-2014, 12:36 PM.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Just a note...

Katana rims have narrower hubs than the GSXR wheels. So it can be easier to use Katana wheels when/if the space is tight.

For example, putting a GSXR front wheel on a 600/750 Katana is not easy at all... with out doing the triples with replacement/custom to widen the forks or even getting a whole new front end... and that gets into a whole new mess of things to spec out and work on.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

On the 1100 the 3.5" GSXR rim fits just fine and gives you a wider rim than the Kat's 2.75" (IIRC) rim.

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                            ...Just because it came off a GSXR doesn't mean it will make your bike faster or handle better...
                            No, that's what the stickers are for!
                            Last edited by Wild-Bill; 11-07-2014, 11:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Do y'all think the entire front will swap ? I'm wondering about the spread of the triple trees and the tube diameters. That would be great, you never know when a deal will pop up on Craigslist or ebay.

Comment

Working...
                              X