X

maybe a vacleak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsxkat1100 View Post
    Bringing up old problems. Took a break apparently due to crappy Ohio weather.

Dipped and cleaned carbs 3 times this week just to make sure I get everything. Put it all backtogether and found a fuel line getting pinched under the tank. Replaced line and reassembled everything to have the same old problem.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but the exhaust coming out of #3 cyl is still fairly cold while the other 3 are hot. I may need a valve adjustment and will be replacing the plugs this weekend. Could there be an issue with the head gasket or a valve sticking?
    Try a new plug on #3 but sounds like a blocked pilot jet to me I,d pull the carbs and check #3...Good luck..
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Comment

I'm back!

Well, after tooling around on a gs550 the wife picked up for me last year, I decided to get back at the big kat.

Replaced- plugs, air filter, gas, battery.
      Check per manual- signal generator, coils, wires.
      Rebuilt carbs(again!) From old gas. All jets were replaced with stock units(new)
      I found a vac cap on the fuel tank vent blocking it, so that has been removed.

Now the fun stuff, it doesn't seem to stumble at 3k like before, but it will not run without the choke and cylinder 3 is still cold. I'm thinking maybe a coil may be losing connection after it heats up or maybe something internal, but the compression check that I did also was within 3 psi across the board.

Any new info I need to know or any ideas?
      1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

I don't think I read that you did a valve adjustment. I doubt it would fix you're problem, but when in there and turning the motor by hand you could check and see if you have a valve sticking. I think a compression check would have tipped you off about that, but since I'm not 100% sure about it, thought I'd mention it.
        When you had your carbs apart, did you check your emulsion tubes? If the one on carb #3 isn't round anymore, it'll leak fuel and that could be causing some issues. It'd make that pipe run cooler too.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Switched the emulsion tubes in 2 and 3 and still having issues on 3. All valves have been adjusted and checked twice to make sure. I also rebuilt the petcock last week and ran new fuel lines. The vac line to the tank seems to fit loosely, maybe a new life e would be in order?

Should I just make some mounts and slap a busa engine in?
          1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

Comment

Sorry if you have already tried this, but I think you can swap the coils. Also check the voltage at the coils. With problems like this you need to eliminate possibilities. As it has been said you need air (the correct amount), fuel, and ignition. If you can eliminate ignition you are 1/3 of the way there.

I often make very dumb mistakes and think my work is ok. Maybe verify the plugs wires are correct.
            '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Did a spark test on all 4 wires, 3 was a bit weaker than the other ones. Gonna order a set of coils and plug ends this weekend.

Also figured, if I'm going to have the carbs off one more time to clean again like I plan, I'm going to replace all 4 intake boots and orings.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

Comment

Good Luck on the fishing expedition . I have found on other issues like you have it may help to make a check list so you dont have to rethink the gremlins every time you look for something. then if you get frustrated you should stop and do something else for a while then you can think about it or the options while your doing other stuff and sometimes the answer just pops into your head and then you will be saying to self Self why didn't i see that in the first place ! especially when looking for electrical shorts or random stuff like your doing. I have a 90 kat 1100 with some vac issues I think but i am starting down the road just like you so one thing at a time. Good luck. keep us posted.

Comment

Got back to it finally. Recently, I have had the pleasure of more carburetor experience due to the fact that some asshat broke the fuel screws off in the carbs on my 550.

I have them torn all the way down, I'm going to be ordering 49 state emulsion tubes and related parts. I have a set of 4 rebuild kits with bowl gaskets and needles/seats that will go in when all the parts are assembled.

I just have 2 questions right now...

What are the pilot jet plugs I keep hearing about/do I need them/what do they do?

Should I wrap or bag the carbs bodies since they are apart and have been dipped until I get all the parts? (Could be a couple weeks)

1979 GS850G Free shafty

Comment

If you find my rebuild thread, (wahooooo) I've got part numbers for bike bandit for the 49 state stuff. Its a little pricy and bike bandit does NOT have the best pricing, but it is what I was able to find cross reference info for. For the emulsion tubes I should have put up some info so you can at least get those from jetsrus.com (cheaper). I tried editing the wiki entry with carb info but for whatever reason I wasn't allowed to.

I didn't see any plugs when I was doing mine, I believe that was just the 600 and 750s. If I'm wrong though, someone else please correct me as I'm going to have to rectify that.

I'd recommend bagging everything up just to keep parts from wandering off. And to keep bowls and bodies matched up. Don't believe that should make a difference, but I'm slightly OCD like that.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Thank you, your rebuild thread is where I did get the parts list.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

Comment

Awesome! Glad I was able to help someone.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Does anyone else have any input on the pilot jet plugs? Do I need them? I cannot find them on a fische.

I would still like to know what their use is. My 81 GS750 had them when I got it, but I'm going to install a fuel injected engine in that.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

Comment

I'm not 100% sure what the pilot jet plugs are for but I can garauntee you from experience that it runs like balls if they leak or fall out.
                            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I'm reasonably sure the 1100 does not have them - just looked up a parts fiche on bikebandit. They are clearly there for pre 600's (part # 35: http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...7826#sch280099)

I did not see anything similar for the 1100 fiche. ( http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...7861#sch246539) The pilot jet where the plugs would go is part # 31 there - no plugs.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm not going to fret not having them then.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

Comment

Working...
                                X