X

maybe a vacleak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maybe a vacleak?

Seems like I may have seen the answer before, but I can't find it on here. 90 kat 1100. Stock carbs and airbox. Fresh rebuild on the carbs and bumped pilots up to mik 50s. Yosh exhaust uni filter

For some reason, between 2&4k, the bike stumbles fairly badly and stalls. Got it out and couldn't get out of first. Any ideas?
    1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

try a stock air filter
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Unifilter would cause that much issue?
      1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

Comment

Holy camel toe Batman! $70 for a stock filter and $26 for a uni?

1979 GS850G Free shafty

Comment

Originally posted by gsxkat1100 View Post
          Unifilter would cause that much issue?
          The UNI filter (I have an old one on the shelf somewhere) has a one big flaw- sealing. It uses a very narrow ring of foam to seal and it so narrow that it opens up the possibility of leaking. Doesn't matter how well it flows or if the carbs like or dislike it; that bad seal is enough to make me take it out and say "don't buy a UNI!".

Comment

Stock filter did nothing. Is there any way to sync a set of carbs without pulling the plugs on the carbs? Mine are seized up.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

Comment

sounds like a dirty pilot circuit. unless you can sync using a stethoscope you have to remove the caps. the stock air filter allows the proper restriction needed for the CV carbs.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I'd be pulling the carbs, cleaning them and taking a vise-grips to those sync plug screws. Agreed that a UNI filter isn't going to be well liked by the engine but even replacing that won't do you much good if the carbs aren't synced and the pilot circuit isn't clean.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I just pulled the carbs, dipped them in the good chemical dip, and cleaned the crap out of the pilot orifices. Also installed new pilot jets I guess a good sync is the only option.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

Comment

Not to sound too obvious, but take the pilot jets, eyeball them to make sure you see daylight through them, blow through them if necessary- these suckers need to be totally clean and open.

Comment

Pilots?

But by 2000-4000 rpm's wouldn't he be pulling through the mains? My first thought was to recheck all my work to see if I hadn't pinched something or pulled it loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Acula View Post
                        But by 2000-4000 rpm's wouldn't he be pulling through the mains? My first thought was to recheck all my work to see if I hadn't pinched something or pulled it loose.
                        Somewhere in there will be the transition from pilot to main/needle. Somewhere above 5,000 rpm will be all mains. I forgot the ranges in the FP diagram, but they are not exact for all carbs, just approximate.
                        Also, pilot are always in play, just their % of play decreases in the upper range.

Comment

Are they?

Once the throttle plate moves away from the bore I would think that you would draw zero from that circuit as in any idle / off-idle circuit. He did not mention if he had just added that exhaust. He may have to play with main jet, needle clip slots etc...No?

Comment

Needles are in slot 3 for all 4, should I move them up or down? Never had to mess with that stuff. Maybe this is why the bike sat abandoned for 5 years before I got it.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

Comment

What happened when?

When did the Yoshi exhaust come into the picture? Did you just add it and that's when the problems started? You want to move the needle up, luckily that can be done without a lot of bloodshed. Perhaps you could contact Yoshimura and see what their recommendations were for jetting when adding that exhaust. I guess that's maybe the only thing nice about the modern stuff is changing things with just key strokes, rather than taking things apart a dozen times before you get the scratch itched. But if you're on here you probably love the old stuff, it's an illness we share.

Comment

Working...
                              X