No announcement yet.
X

17 inch wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My big question is .... What's she handling like with the exchange ?
    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
      My big question is .... What's she handling like with the exchange ?
      One word... AMAZING!! The rear actually sits a touch lower then with the 16 inch wheel bc the side wall was soo big on the 16. Ride has improved i beleive. But whats real nice is that i can now lean the bike all the way over and feel completley comftorable while doing it. Unfortunetly, I cant compare how these new tires are to new tires on a 16 inch wheel, bc i never had new tires on the 16 inch wheels. But overall, I think it was a well worth while project. And if anyone is interested, I can make more brackets like mine if anyone want to try the swap. The only downfall is, these brackets will only work with a early 90's style gsxr 1100 front rotor. Any other comments are welcome!!!
      craig
      1996 katana 750 (sold to my friend)
      1990 katana 1100

Comment

Can you make a complete part list for that swap? - with all parts like bearings, calipers (donor bike year/modell etc) for a n00b (like me)? - thinking this will be a nice winter project for my kat...
        Thanks for giving me hope again for fitting a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart on my bike...

Comment

Originally posted by SchOX View Post
          Can you make a complete part list for that swap? - with all parts like bearings, calipers (donor bike year/modell etc) for a n00b (like me)? - thinking this will be a nice winter project for my kat...
          Thanks for giving me hope again for fitting a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart on my bike...
          Yea no problem.
          Front Wheel
          -two bearing part number 466782-001
          -I used a 1990 Gsxr 1100 front wheel with the rotors from that wheel.
          -I stuck with the stock calipers for the katana 1100. The only problem is, you cant take the wheel off without taking the rotors off because with the rotors bolted down, you cant clear caliper from the lip of the wheel. If you take all the bolts out for the rotor, you can move the rotor foward and then slide the caliper out. An easy fix for this is to go with some 1990 gsxr 1100 front calipers as well. They SHOULD clear without a problem, but dont quote me, I havent tried them.
          Rear Wheel
          -All the bearings for the rear wheels are the same as long as you stick with an early 90's oil/air cooled gsxr 750/1100.
          -My rear wheel was a 93 gsxr 750 rear wheel
          -I also used the 93 gsxr 750 rear rotor as well
          -I also used the 93 gsxr caliper carrier
          -I used a 96 gsxf katana 750 rear caliper bc I had one laying around.
          If you have any other questions just ask ill be happy to help!!!
          craig
          1990 katana 1100

Comment

Excellent wonderful - Thanks! - I might take you up on those brackets

Comment

Originally posted by SchOX View Post
              Excellent wonderful - Thanks! - I might take you up on those brackets
              sounds good to me
              craig
              1990 katana 1100

Comment

Originally posted by bbsf2 View Post
                Yea no problem.
                Front Wheel
                -two bearing part number 466782-001
                -I used a 1990 Gsxr 1100 front wheel with the rotors from that wheel.
                -I stuck with the stock calipers for the katana 1100. The only problem is, you cant take the wheel off without taking the rotors off because with the rotors bolted down, you cant clear caliper from the lip of the wheel. If you take all the bolts out for the rotor, you can move the rotor foward and then slide the caliper out. An easy fix for this is to go with some 1990 gsxr 1100 front calipers as well. They SHOULD clear without a problem, but dont quote me, I havent tried them.
                Rear Wheel
                -All the bearings for the rear wheels are the same as long as you stick with an early 90's oil/air cooled gsxr 750/1100.
                -My rear wheel was a 93 gsxr 750 rear wheel
                -I also used the 93 gsxr 750 rear rotor as well
                -I also used the 93 gsxr caliper carrier
                -I used a 96 gsxf katana 750 rear caliper bc I had one laying around.
                If you have any other questions just ask ill be happy to help!!!
                craig
                Your bike looks good, sorry I dropped off the net for a while.
                Once you learn the basics of making the front brake bracket you can run any caliper you want. Using your set up I would try taking out all 4 bolts and the pads before I loosened the rotor, but I am not sure if that would work.
                I am surprised the 1993 rear worked, that is a water cooled bike and the sprocket carrier has a different spacing.
                An older Katana 600 rear caliper should bolt in the stock location using the new carrier.
                01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

i have a question that perhaps has been answered already here.I have a 92 1100 kat and also came into a complete gsxr 1100 parts bike minus plastics.
                  Would the complete front end swap over or just the wheel and i would need to make a bracket as bbsf has done?I would love to run a 17 front and rear and if i could get the inverted forks to work that also would be a plus but not a deal breaker.
                  Any help here would be apreciated.
                  Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by crtlv View Post
                    i have a question that perhaps has been answered already here.I have a 92 1100 kat and also came into a complete gsxr 1100 parts bike minus plastics.
                    Would the complete front end swap over or just the wheel and i would need to make a bracket as bbsf has done?I would love to run a 17 front and rear and if i could get the inverted forks to work that also would be a plus but not a deal breaker.
                    Any help here would be apreciated.
                    Thanks
                    I ran into this problem, the forks on your donor bike are way bigger than your Kat, so they wil not fit in the triple tree and cause you to remove the handlebars. The clip ons from the GSXR will contact the gas tank.
                    I did not think about this at the time when I had my parts GSXR but you should be able to use Katana head bearings in the GSXR tree and have a customed machined piece to bolt to the top of the tree to mount your handle bars to. I don't have the other bike to see what problems I might run into but sometime this winter I was thinking I might try that with a 'busa front end.

So 2 of us have done this mod and posted notes on this thread. I have a few pictures showing what I did. Install the 17" wheels first using the Kat forks (and steel plate bracket for your calipers), you could upgrade to progressive springs if you wanted to. If you are still not satisfied then look at installing GSXR forks on your bike.

Don't forget the speedo hook up on the front wheel.
                    01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Its worth every penny, you just have to make sure you get all the parts that way its a nice clean swap.
                      craig
                      1990 katana 1100

Comment

ok ill keep that in mind when i get working on it,I did see the writeups and will probably need that caliper bracket to mount up on the wheels.
                        I did get the front and rear wheels from a 92 gsxr 1100 along with the rear caliper carrier and rear sprocket and cush drive.Is there anything else that i may have over looked in doing this swap?
                        I want to run the new pilot2s because i do alot of miles but still want some decent grip so its the 1 reason im trying to go 17.

Comment

Yea that seems to be right. The hub of the katana 1100 will fit on the gsxr wheel, so thatll make life easy. The only problem with the rear caliper is that on the gsxr, the caliper mounts on the bottom, on the katana they mount on the top, so im not sure if that rear caliper will work, you might have to find one from a pre 600 or 750. other then that, the rear setup should work. all the bearings should fit without a problem. any other questions let me know
                          craig
                          1990 katana 1100

Comment

Happy newyear!

I'm starting to give up this project -- It seems impossible to get hold of suitable parts to do the wheelswap before the season starts (in May).
                            Here in Norway it's almost no used parts to get hold on - and eBay is risky as I can't return the parts if they do not fit etc...

Comment

Working...
                            X