Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHayabusa View Post
    those are stock Katana 1100 forks.
    Please enlighten me on how you can tell that from the pics
    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Because they are, aside from the fact that other standard forks from bike of the era look slightly different and those look exactly like Katana 1100 forks. That bike has the stock handle bar setup installed which is not compatible with another type triple tree. Stock forks are something really skinny like 29mm, I am not sure of any other bike that got something that small.
      That bike has different rims, front rotors and calipers, and probably rear rotor and caliper carrier and defiantly cush drive.
      01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Because they are, aside from the fact that other standard forks from bike of the era look slightly different and those look exactly like Katana 1100 forks. That bike has the stock handle bar setup installed which is not compatible with another type triple tree. Stock forks are something really skinny like 29mm, I am not sure of any other bike that got something that small.
        That bike has different rims, front rotors and calipers, and probably rear rotor and caliper carrier and defiantly cush drive.
        Hmm not wanting to cause an argument here mate but ive got 2 sets of forks here that the bottom part LOOKS exactly the same, eg no dicernable differance from the pics ( i cant tell the dia of the top part from the pic)

While i agree that the top yoke LOOKS to be the stock one really i see only the yoke cover & bars which could easilly be fitted to numerous sets of forks

Having said all that the main reason i think that these MAY not be the stock forks is the brake calipers, they look to be nissin 4 pots & as far as i'm aware they dont fit directly to the stock forks, I see no evidence of a made up caliper mounting bracket there which would also be needed to suit the slingshot discs

I may well be wrong here but those are the impressions i get & i dont think anyone could be 100% sure as to whats fitted to what without talking to the guy who put it together

Thanks for reading
        tone

Comment

I am not looking for an argument either, I did just take a closer look and I noticed that the front fender is different and the handle bars sit about 2" higher than they should. This is going to drive me up the wall until I find out what this guy did to his bike.
          Last edited by TheHayabusa; 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM.
          01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

I had not noticed the front fender or the length of the forks either

The only 2 bikes with forks i can think of that take that fender & the brakes are RF900 & bandit 1200 but from the extra length i'd say they are bandit 1200

cheers tone

Comment

Funny how much it looks like a 1st gen ZX10/ or 11 with 17's.....

I would love to know what front brake rotor and caliper this guy used. Front brakes are the only missing piece to my easy 17" upgrade notes.
              Peace,
              Dave F
              Maryland,USA
              '01 Flame red Aprilia Futura.... and all the non stock silliness that was surely inevitable
              '93 Suzuki Katana 1100 Stg 1 and V&H pipe...( a very cool bike!)

" A man who does not follow his dreams...
              might as well be a vegetable"
              Burt Munro

Comment

I have never seen a ZX with those rotors, only 1990-1992 GSXR 1100s. I thought ZX fenders went lower also. That guy probably did bolt on a 1990 GSXR 1100 front end and machined the top for the handle bars.

Comment

I would like to see more pictures!! especially of the questionable handlebar mounts and forks. I can tell the rotors aren't 1100 kat but could be 750 kat. The 1100 ofset is much deeper and smaller looking.

I really am taking a major liking to the 1100 kat's. The only complaint I do have is the windscreen motor mechanism, way big!
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I picked up a nice set of Bandit wheels w/rotors (all 3), hub and cushions, sprocket, bearings, axles, and all..... with like new BattleAx's on both as well. Was planning a swap to my 1100 Katana. Looks to be quite of bit of changing to do it. Don't think I wanna do that to my 8,000 mile amost perfect piece of history...lol Is it quite of bit of work? Anybody else want them for their project?

Comment

Update! its been a while, but I finally finished my 17 inch wheel swap. I am just waiting on my buddy to make my brackets out of steel from the one I made out of card stock. Rear Wheel fits well, barely missies the torque arm of the rear caliper. Other then that, everything is golden. You def. have to get the caliper carrier that came off of the rear wheel your using, because the stock katana caliper carrier is just too big. I will put some pictures up tomorow of how it looks. It changes the whole look of the bike let me tell you. It makes it look alot better, and now, with better rubber as well, I cant wait to see the difference in handling. If you guys have any questions ill be happy to see if I can answer them!
                      craig
                      1996 katana 750 (sold to my friend)
                      1990 katana 1100

Comment

Originally posted by bbsf2 View Post
                        Update! its been a while, but I finally finished my 17 inch wheel swap. I am just waiting on my buddy to make my brackets out of steel from the one I made out of card stock. Rear Wheel fits well, barely missies the torque arm of the rear caliper. Other then that, everything is golden. You def. have to get the caliper carrier that came off of the rear wheel your using, because the stock katana caliper carrier is just too big. I will put some pictures up tomorow of how it looks. It changes the whole look of the bike let me tell you. It makes it look alot better, and now, with better rubber as well, I cant wait to see the difference in handling. If you guys have any questions ill be happy to see if I can answer them!
                        craig

I'm on the border of trying this and I need to be able to bounce things off someone.
                        The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Got some pics finally!

Well finally got my camera working and got a couple of pics before she died again lol. This is the rear setup on the bike. As soon as I get the camera working again, I will take pics of the front brake setup.
                          Attached Files
                          1990 katana 1100

Comment

what is with the taillight?
                            Looking good so far!
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
                              what is with the taillight?
                              Looking good so far!
                              I wasnt a huge fan of the factory tailight setup, so I figured I would try and do a custom setup. I used a 2002 cbr600rr tail light and cut the plastic on the tail and thats what I ended up with. I like it for now, see how I feel in a couple months. I have another tail, so if I want to go back, ill be able to with no problems!
                              craig
                              1990 katana 1100

Comment

rest of the pics!!

Heres the rest of the rear pics along with the front wheel setup. I made the bracket out of card stock first. Then brought it to my local machine shop to make it out of 1/4 in steel. I think the bracket came out pretty damn good. The only down fall with using the factory Katana front brakes is that to take the front wheel off, you have to loosen the front rotors so that they can be moved foward, because the front calipers are too big to clear the rim. But other then that, they work like a champ!
                                Enjoy
                                craig
                                Attached Files
                                1990 katana 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X