X

Anyone Dyno their Kat1100?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
    What do you think of that ZX10 ? I had a couple of chances to get one but the idea of going backwards as far as model years did not sit with me to well. Gimme some feed back on that bike. I've ridden a couple of ZX11's but really can't say about the 10. I am currently running an 88 1100 Katana with 4-1 yosh front/mid pipe mated to a Muzzy cannister, K&N filter (factory airbox), 5* ign/adv, and the Dyno-Jet 1 stage. She pulls hard but, of course, I want better.
    First step is to pitch that dynokit and get a factory jet kit!
    ZX10 and ZX 11 bikes- I read that tranny problems were common with them.
    0-60, A good Katana 1100 can keep with them or even be ahead, after 60, that zx11 will just keep pulling ahead.
    I really dig the GXSR motor. It is the motorcycle equivalent of a Chevy 350- it is durable and can be built up, is very popular even today. They made it from '86-'04(?). There are a lot of parts out there for it, a lot of tuners too,it is the finest air cooled motor four cylinder motor ever made and mind you, because of smog regs, there will never be another like it. I like the ease of servicing it, I like how I can hear all the valves and parts in it click about like a sewing machine, not obscured by water cooling. I also like how I don't have a radiator that directs all the heat at my legs during the middle of summer.
    Yeah, there are faster more modern bikes out there, but adjust the valves with the precision of a heart surgeon, spend some time with a morgan carb synch tool, toss a 4-1 on a properly jetted kat and dang, it sure holds it own .
    Where i find the bike lacking is the small tires and soft suspension. Hey, nutt'ins perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
      First step is to pitch that dynokit and get a factory jet kit ..... Where i find the bike lacking is the small tires and soft suspension. Hey, nutt'ins perfect!

My bike pulls pretty good running it's current set-up. I don't have times (0-60, drag strip, or roll-ons) but I'm fairly satisfied with the current performance. We all know faster is better but it's all good.

As far as the other stuff, you're right. There may be a plan in effect to deal with those issues if I decide to keep that bike. I don't want to get into putting a bunch of money into this bike and at the end of the day after the numbers are crunched, I see that I could have simply bought what I wanted. I'll prolly keep this bike for this season then either sell it or under-go a major project. We'll see .....
      The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
        My bike pulls pretty good running it's current set-up. I don't have times (0-60, drag strip, or roll-ons) but I'm fairly satisfied with the current performance. We all know faster is better but it's all good.

As far as the other stuff, you're right. There may be a plan in effect to deal with those issues if I decide to keep that bike. I don't want to get into putting a bunch of money into this bike and at the end of the day after the numbers are crunched, I see that I could have simply bought what I wanted. I'll prolly keep this bike for this season then either sell it or under-go a major project. We'll see .....
        I say that getting a Fatory kit will giove you more power and better throttle response because that's what I found after trying both.As for the rest of the bik, you are right, it is best to leave it alone. Pouring money into a 20 year old bike with a steel frame makes no sense when one can pick up something more modern . When i got my '91 Kat back in '98, it was still competitive with what was being sold at the time new. Last month, I was at the local shop to get some parts and saw the new Kawi Concourse, a Busa and that new Busa motor based bike (forgot the name) and that stuff looked frick'in space age, made my katana look like something from the stone age.

Comment

I haven't really researched this, but I do know that mc dragracer PROS (at least those who haven't sold their soul to HD) love the old Suzuki GS motors- 1000 cc's and up, and the old Kawasaki motors from the same era. I have been told that they both are darn near as bulletproof as mc motors get, and that lots of parts exist and are still available, to make crazy power. I am told you can get 200hp+ and run the same motor all season without a rebuild- and that when you tear down at the end of the season, you often find a motor that prob. could go another whole season without a teardown. Seems to me, that would be a better way to go than a GSF motor.
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

...they don't make them like they used to anymore....
            suzuki air-oil cooled motors rule!
            Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

To answer the original question.......I have a 94 Kat 600 with an 1127 motor in it...........and I get 135 HP on the dyno at the rear wheel.

Jet kit, tuned, synched, Pod air filters, fairly stock gears front & rear, V&H SS2R exhaust system.........

Photos are in my gallery
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K View Post
                To answer the original question.......I have a 94 Kat 600 with an 1127 motor in it...........and I get 135 HP on the dyno at the rear wheel.

Jet kit, tuned, synched, Pod air filters, fairly stock gears front & rear, V&H SS2R exhaust system.........

Photos are in my gallery
                so basically all the mods that you did compensated for the hp loss through the drive train. it is now like a direction connection between the crank and the rear tire. interesting.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                  so basically all the mods that you did compensated for the hp loss through the drive train. it is now like a direction connection between the crank and the rear tire. interesting.

Comment

Paolo, the Kat 1100 motor made 137 HP at the crank, stock.
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Oh!!!.......... ok i got it now SteveB

Comment

Working...
                      X