• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it has two weels and a motor thats over 400cc i like it
    any thing under is a waist of my time

Comment

Originally posted by blueglassman View Post
      +1. When I first saw the 650 my first thought was that it was thrown together sloppily and without much effort in design. I'm unimpressed. I've always admired the Katana for it's unique styling and performance, but the new 650 seems to be generic and nothing special. I'm sure it's a nice comfortable ride, but uninspiring. I'll keep looking for a 2006 Kat 750, thank you very much.

I ended choosing an 06 Kat 750 over an 08 GSXF 650 sitting side by side on the showroom. Its my first bike, and the GSXF probably would have been friendlier for my level of experience, but the syling (and the ergos) on the Kat sold me. Something about the GSXF just looks...wrong.

I wouldn't mind having the GSXF's dashboard though. I like the digital speedo and I really like the the gear indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by redkat750 View Post
        Something about the GSXF just looks...wrong.
        hmmm.... could it be the cheezy gsxr styling... or the giant exhaust.... or the ridiculous handlebars.... or the ram air ducts that dont ram air.... or.... well ill just stop there

Comment

I like the styling of the new GSXF but only if it were a 1000 class....

Comment

Originally posted by Katat33 View Post
            I like the styling of the new GSXF but only if it were a 1000 class....
            thats a hayabusa

Comment

Suzuki should do what Yamaha and Kawasaki does, set up their older generations sport bikes into a more touring/beginner friendly version. Such as the Yamaha R6S and the Kawasaki ZZR600.
              sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Originally posted by GSXF View Post
                Suzuki should do what Yamaha and Kawasaki does, set up their older generations sport bikes into a more touring/beginner friendly version. Such as the Yamaha R6S and the Kawasaki ZZR600.
                In a sense, they did, with the frame and original oil-air cooled GSXR engines. The newer Bandits & GSXF still retain the same frame (at least conceptually -- same basic steel perimeter-box frame construction method), but the engines had to be re-engineered to meet the new pollution control standards.

The real problem with simply repackaging last-generation SS-bike engines is that is you end up with bikes that need to have their necks wrung out (i.e. - hit quite high RPM's) to get any serious torque -- because the whole engine was originally designed for high-RPM power (including the very short stroke length vs. a very wide squish area, etc.). Changing cams and valves & narrowing exhaust headers alone doesn't resolve this basic behavior (nor does revamping the intake either). Revamping the stroke length (longer) and narrowing the bore (smaller), which is what's required to get more low-end grunt means that you have effectively re-engineered the entire engine, eliminating the primary economic benefit of repackaging an existing engine.

The current Bandit engines have an advantage in this particular niche, in that they were purpose-designed & built specifically for producing torque early-on (esp. the 1250 engine, which hits torque peak at 3700 RPM). The Bandit/GSXF 650 engine hits torque peak at 8900 RPM, but like the Kat, it starts that "rush" about 2.5k earlier -- although it's engineered in such a way that unlike the 88-06 Kats, it's much more linear in power delivery across the range (less of a sudden "rush" sensation, unlike the 7200-9400 RPM rush of a Kat).

Consider this: compare that to a 2009 Fazer FZ6 S2 with the exact same torque-level as the Bandit -- but the Fazer has that peak torque at 10k RPM instead. For an even more extreme difference, consider the FZ1 hitting torque peak at 8K vs. the bandit 1250's 3700 RPM.

For typical "real-world use" for urban and commuter traffic, earlier torque at lower RPM's means more "useable" power -- guys who aren't shooting for going way over the national speed limit before the power of the bike really wants to kick in. Which just happens to be the market niche these particular bikes are actually targeted at.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I had a chance to take the new GSXF out for a spin last weekend... and I loved everything about it except the stupid looking can. It rev'd up smooth, shifted way smoother than my 01, I liked the ergonomics and it seemed a bit easier in turn initiation.
                  I'm not even close to being in the market for a replacement to my current bike, which i love also...BUT, suzuki has made a sweet advance to the 'Kat' line and I'd really consider it's smoothness, rideability, fuel injection improvement, and it seems to have more uumph on an upramp - though I had promised to keep the rpms down on the new bike .
                  What I'm really lusting for though is a new Bandit 1250 with full fairing...

Comment

I'm back, reappearing as an owner of a new leftover '08 GSF650F (blue/white). I had traded my '05 Kat 600 in on a VN900 Kawi cruiserback in '07, but since the wife now has her own bike (S40), I decided to go the sport touring route. Having done much research, I chose the F over the FZ6, F800ST, SV650S and an older Kat, as well as the SV1000S, R1200R, and Bandit 1250S. I traded in the Vulcan and chose the F based upon:

Weight - I like the stability and am not racing, so the weight is not a minus.
                    Engine - Fuel injected, with the best grunt and mid-range pull I've ever had from an I4. The fact that the bottom end is actually the same as the 1250 makes for a truly understressed engine and this means longevity (right CyberPoet?).
                    Ergos - I'm 5'5" so I'll go ahead and lower it, though I could forego this and not suffer too badly. Just not quite enough foot on the ground, and the weight will make me appreciate the increased foot-traction when moving in and out of parking spaces.
                    Sportiness - 130 mph is plenty fast for me anymore, and the hp and torque values are good enough for extremely competent performance as a medium-duty sport tourer. The SV1000S was too aggresive ergonomically, though I have always loved that engine
                    Cost - I got over book value for the Vulcan, and paid $5899 for the F as a leftover with no miles. The Beemers are nearly or actually twice that, depending on the model. The FZ just didn't do anything for me. The Bandit was another handful of $ and I didn't need that big of a weapon. And as for the Katana...
                    Katitude - For me personally, this bike is everything I liked about my Kat, and has all the improvements I wished for back then. I do wish this machine were carrying on the Katana moniker, but I understand the Bandit descendence thing. Plus I believe that the Kat got a bad rap and Suzi decided not to burden this new bike with it.

All in all, I am extremely pleased with the GSX650F, would recommend it heartily, and look forward to many, many miles of pleasure.

Happy riding,
                    Kirk
                    Living truly is truly living

Comment

• Originally posted by happykat View Post
                      The fact that the bottom end is actually the same as the 1250 makes for a truly understressed engine and this means longevity (right CyberPoet?).
                      As long as you keep the front wheel on the ground (to avoid starving it for oil) and give it good lube, the bottom end should easily outlast the rings...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• Originally posted by happykat View Post
                        I'm back, reappearing as an owner of a new leftover '08 GSF650F (blue/white). I had traded my '05 Kat 600 in on a VN900 Kawi cruiserback in '07, but since the wife now has her own bike (S40), I decided to go the sport touring route. Having done much research, I chose the F over the FZ6, F800ST, SV650S and an older Kat, as well as the SV1000S, R1200R, and Bandit 1250S. I traded in the Vulcan and chose the F based upon:

Weight - I like the stability and am not racing, so the weight is not a minus.
                        Engine - Fuel injected, with the best grunt and mid-range pull I've ever had from an I4. The fact that the bottom end is actually the same as the 1250 makes for a truly understressed engine and this means longevity (right CyberPoet?).
                        Ergos - I'm 5'5" so I'll go ahead and lower it, though I could forego this and not suffer too badly. Just not quite enough foot on the ground, and the weight will make me appreciate the increased foot-traction when moving in and out of parking spaces.
                        Sportiness - 130 mph is plenty fast for me anymore, and the hp and torque values are good enough for extremely competent performance as a medium-duty sport tourer. The SV1000S was too aggresive ergonomically, though I have always loved that engine
                        Cost - I got over book value for the Vulcan, and paid $5899 for the F as a leftover with no miles. The Beemers are nearly or actually twice that, depending on the model. The FZ just didn't do anything for me. The Bandit was another handful of $ and I didn't need that big of a weapon. And as for the Katana...
                        Katitude - For me personally, this bike is everything I liked about my Kat, and has all the improvements I wished for back then. I do wish this machine were carrying on the Katana moniker, but I understand the Bandit descendence thing. Plus I believe that the Kat got a bad rap and Suzi decided not to burden this new bike with it.

All in all, I am extremely pleased with the GSX650F, would recommend it heartily, and look forward to many, many miles of pleasure.

Happy riding,
                        Kirk
                        congrats on the new buy. and let's just say I replaced my pre 600 with the 650 pretty much the same reason enjoy it and ride safe!
                        sigpic
                        2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

• The only "real" complaint I have is the fake forced air induction inlets. The bike is a perfect balance. Second, minor issue I have is availability of 3rd party add-ons. I want to mount my front signals flush against the fairings, but have yet to find a suitable light.

Congrads on your purchase!

Comment

• How is the power on the gsx650f compared to your kat 600? Does it feel like it has more power or less? If it feels stronger, how much stronger?

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

• I'm still breaking in the F, but is much smoother and comes on basically from 2.5K rpm. The Kat was more like the SV 650 with more of a surge, while the F is, at least at this <6K rpm stage, almost linear. Downshift or don't, more throttle is more fast. I've had a few F.I bikes now, so I'm used to the on/off effect, but this might take a little getting used to for someone experiencing it for the first time.

Thanks all for the welcome back.

Happy riding,
                              Kirk
                              Last edited by happykat; 05-11-2009, 09:54 AM.
                              Living truly is truly living

Comment

• Originally posted by Nero View Post
                                $2.00 sticker and you're golden.
                                Then buy one of these and attach it to your $2.00 sticker

Comment

Working...
                                X