X
X

HOW TO PUT BIKE ON CENTERSTAND

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was one of those forehead slapping, "Doh!" moments. Thanks for showing me what should have been obvious!

Comment

• Thanks for posting this. Like others, I too have been fighting this since I got my Kat. Great help for a noob.

Comment

• Easiest way to put on the center stand is without straining yourself is place a 2x4 in front of both wheels rock the bike up on both 2x4 then place your foot on the center stand and gently rock the bike backwards it will go right on its stand with a minor amount of effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
          Easiest way to put on the center stand is without straining yourself is place a 2x4 in front of both wheels rock the bike up on both 2x4 then place your foot on the center stand and gently rock the bike backwards it will go right on its stand with a minor amount of effort.
          But then you have to carry 2x4's with you if you wanna leave it on the centerstand anywhere.

I always park on the centerstand when I go to work or am leaving the bike (somewhere away from home) for any length of time. If I'm at a store, I'll leave it on the side stand, but going to a ball game, or out for the evening, it goes on the centerstand.

During the summer at work I have to put it on the centerstand because the parking lot heats up and the sidestand sinks in to the blacktop.

Comment

• Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post
            But then you have to carry 2x4's with you if you wanna leave it on the centerstand anywhere.

I always park on the centerstand when I go to work or am leaving the bike (somewhere away from home) for any length of time. If I'm at a store, I'll leave it on the side stand, but going to a ball game, or out for the evening, it goes on the centerstand.

During the summer at work I have to put it on the centerstand because the parking lot heats up and the sidestand sinks in to the blacktop.
            Only time I put my bike on the centerstand is when I am working on it, all the other times I just leave it on the kickstand. If the grounds that hot I would just carry a kickstand foot supporter for your bike for sand or hot asphalt. only costs like 2 bucks

Comment

• Procedure works well...

BUT....It's a bear to do it on a slippery garage floor where the center stand wants to slide....

Comment

• I watched the videos and read this a thousand times. I still can't get it to work. I can think of only two things:

1) My garage is carpeted and this some how impedes the stand. No it wasn't my idea to put the carpet down...

2) My rear wheel is larger then my front tire.

Dave

Comment

• make sure both feet of stand are on ground and bike is level. Now push on stand and pull on handle. try rocking it up and down and when it gets close put some a$$ into it
                  May the road rise up to meet you.
                  May the wind always be at your back.
                  May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                  and rains fall soft upon your fields.
                  And until we meet again,
                  May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
                  RIP Marc

Comment

• being all of 5'4 with a 30" inseam, i bought some lowering links from Ne-Oublie for my Pre 750. Prolly the best monies i've spent on her this summer. (last fall was the Z6's) Now that she's down 1 1/2" in the back and 1/2" in the front, there's no way she's going up onto the centerstand unless i gain an additional 200 pounds, or have some serious help. Quite frankly, the side stand is iffy at best untill I increase the bend in it over this winter. I carry a piece of treated 5/4 x 6 deck board with me, about 8" long under the cargo net on the passenger seat. I just toss it down, roll the front or rear wheel up onto it, and put her on teh side stand. As for the center stand, I lay a ramp of scrap wood out on the garage floor, highest being 2 2x6's (3") and roll the back wheel up onto it. Just look at the centerstand funny and she's up. comming down i just straddle the bike and roll onto the ramp with front brake ready. once she's off the stand and on the ramp, just roll her backwards off the ramp. If i really had to i could prolly struggle her up onto the centerstand from the 5/4 board under the rear, but it would be no fun at all. For everyday parking in the garage I have a 12" square of full 1" thickness plywood i roll the front or rear up onto, and i leave a scrap of 5/4 deckboard on the edge of the driveway.

Originally posted by dave99md View Post
                    I watched the videos and read this a thousand times. I still can't get it to work. I can think of only two things:

1) My garage is carpeted and this some how impedes the stand. No it wasn't my idea to put the carpet down...

2) My rear wheel is larger then my front tire.

actually, both of those should make it easier. raise the rear and the centerstand doesnt have to lift as far, and the carpet keeps teh centerstand from slipping out from under you. Has your skoot been lowered from stock?
                    Last edited by DumbLuck; 11-01-2008, 02:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

• No it hasn't been.
                      Last edited by dave99md; 11-01-2008, 12:00 PM.
                      Dave

Comment

• Come on dude. The freakin' Japanese do this. They are skinnier and weigh much less. You're a big boy.

Left ball of foot on the center stand pedal and heel of left foot on ground. Right foot by rear wheel. Grab left side of rear frame behind passenger foot rest. Right hand on grab bar and lift bike back and up while exerting pressure on left foot.

Comment

• i don't know maybe I'm wrong and the previous owner did lower it and didn't say a thing about it. I just can't imagine it because this was a big and tall guy. I've never compared it side-by-side with another Kat but they look the same height. I'm doing this exactly as said. Left foot on stand push with it while lifting with the right hand.

I've even tried right foot, and different lifting places, like the passenger peg, the frame, the metal piece under the plastic, i guess its there for a sissy bag or something and no luck.

So all I can figure is if it works for everyone else either I'm really slow, somethings wrong with the stand, or the bike has been lowered.

Added after: yes both legs are in contact with the ground...
                          Dave

Comment

• Well........ if it's lowered, forget it.

Comment

• remember that you foot/leg should be doing 90% of the work. i suspect that the people who are struggling are trying to lift with their arrms/back rather than use the centerstand's footpress leverage.
                              WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

• I had a neighbor help me for the first time, my garage floor is glass slick so I will try soon, Thanks!
                                02 Kat 750F
                                68 Mercury Cat

Comment

Working...
                                X