X

Front tire losing traction in turn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front tire losing traction in turn?

We've all heard about the rear breaking loose and resulting in the typical lowside/highside.

Yesterday I was really leaning into the turn and I must have hit some sand or something and it felt like the front end was starting to slide.

It scared the crap out of me but luckily I didn't go down.

How common is it for the front to break loose and is there a method to recover?

Originally posted by Holocene View Post
    We've all heard about the rear breaking loose and resulting in the typical lowside/highside.

Yesterday I was really leaning into the turn and I must have hit some sand or something and it felt like the front end was starting to slide.

It scared the crap out of me but luckily I didn't go down.

How common is it for the front to break loose and is there a method to recover?

Sounds to me like you experianced what I've always heard called as "pushing". It's not a complete loss of traction, but you are at the maximum traction for the tire.

Older tire? Not a sport tire? Or just a crappy tire brand?

I got used to doing it on the OEM pre kat tires because they were so hard. Then got new sport tires and wow... what a difference that made.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Could be old tires, or could have been crap on the road.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah I admit the front tire needs to be changed; it's a few years old now.

Comment

I've also experienced something similar, specifically if hitting tar seams running parallel to the lane through turns.

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
            I've also experienced something similar, specifically if hitting tar seams running parallel to the lane through turns.
            we have a road in NGa[hwy 60 north of Dahlonega] that the tar snakes are so bad that I avoid it in the afternoons. lots of pucker moments. I've found that moving in the direction I'm sliding stands the bike up a little and helps gain traction.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I must ride my bike hard

2 years ago I put some Michelin sport S2 ZR rated, best Michelin's you buy, and the performance was minnd blowing. Now, the front tire has slicks for sides and some tread in the middle, the tires are the dual rubber tires, soft on the sides and harder in the middle. If your tires are anything like mine and you like to carve corners, if your front is anything like mine, I'm getting ready to replace mine for that very reason, I carve corners and have had the front skip out a few times. When the tires were new, they gripped so well there wasn't a limit, only rider error, now, I know exactly where that line is and the more I ride, traction will get worse until I get new rubber. I'm looking for an extra couple.wheels to mount some either long life tires, and have a set of sticky tires for fun. Even though my tires are warn, they get very hot and sticky,I can still carve corners, just remember the traction is close to the same as new, but crap in the road, gravel ect will stick to the tires and make it skip out on me like you I'm sure. Be careful and get new rubber. The best front end upgrade I did and recommended everyone do it, I rebuilt the front forks with race tech springs, thick fluid and adjustable dampening controlsbon each at top of fork, MAN, I CAN CARVE WITH ANY BIKE!! One of the best mods I've done, this will improve your handling, do this mod and throw a new tire on,then tell me what you think. It's night and day difference. Hope this helps, oh, alwaus remember the throttle will stand you up IF YOUR EXITING THE CURVE, TAP GAS IN MID CORNER, SLOWLY HIT GWS COMING.OUT, YOU'LL STARIGHTEN UP
              Last edited by bta2997; 06-30-2012, 10:15 AM. Reason: add a tip

Comment

Originally posted by bta2997 View Post
                2 years ago I put some Michelin sport S2 ZR rated, best Michelin's you buy, and the performance was minnd blowing.
                Just googled Michelin Sport S2 ZR and all I'm seeing is the Pilot Sport which is a car tire.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                  Just googled Michelin Sport S2 ZR and all I'm seeing is the Pilot Sport which is a car tire.
                  Ditto
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I dont think you can lose the front if you are on the throttle and off the brakes

Comment

Originally posted by Jahshoewah View Post
                      I dont think you can lose the front if you are on the throttle and off the brakes
                      not true. I know from experience.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Yes, there's many reasons why you might lose traction on the front wheel.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If it was an even loss of traction, you need new tires, BUT yes you already fessed up on that, so do it or crash.

Uneven or sudden loss of trac, it's the pavement.
                          I don't trust any public pavement. The truck right in front of you might even spill diesel oil through the corner.

All this is assuming your bike is in TOP shape, including tire pressure.

Comment

New to riding myself but even I have heard about this... A friend has a really good back tire but a cheapy on the front, which can be just as bad or worse than an old worn out tire from my understanding... He gets good traction under the back in a good lean but expereinces understeer I guess due to the bad front tire. It was just his only option after a tire had a blowout. The rider himself didn't even buy the tire, a freind did just to keep him on the road for the rest of the year.

Along with many others I'd suggest a new front tire... RESEARCH! and don't go cheap
                            92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                              All this is assuming your bike is in TOP shape, including tire pressure.
                              Don't forget suspension issues.. slow rebound can cause loss of traction as well over uneven pavement...
                              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                              X