X

Riding in the rain.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding in the rain.

There are some old threads that touch on this but I'd like some more input.

When I'm riding on a wet road I am nervous.. I think too nervous.. I'm like the old guy you're stuck behind doing 20 under on a 2 lane nervous. I understand its a matter of practice and slowly building skill and confidences, just like learning to ride. You have to slowly push the envelope to gain confidence but I'm stuck.

Can I get some input, tips, experiences on ridings in the rain or a recently rained-on road.

I rode in the rain the other day, got on the highway for about 15 mins it started pouring down got off the highway and rode the main rodes it wasnt to bad I just stayed in tbe mddle of the lane to keep out of the puddles and did the speed limit or 5mph slower and I was ok. Be cautious but dont be scared.

Comment

Be careful of course. That's pretty obvious. What's not obvious is that you need to avoid the center of the lane, especially near intersections. That's where the cagers dribble oil all over the place. You've got better traction to either side where the cars' tires keep the pavement scrubbed. When it first starts raining you want to find somewhere to sit for a while. Let the rain wash the worst of the oil off the road. Then, when you do start riding just slow down a bit and pay attention to what the bike and your tires are telling you. Worn tires will feel squirrely and the only good answer is to slow down more.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by sky1865 View Post
        I'm like the old guy you're stuck behind doing 20 under on a 2 lane nervous.
        If your this nervous about it then I suggest not doing it. Sounds like the biggest thing you need to do if it starts raining when your on the road is calm down. Don't ride as aggressively, be aware that you are still invisible to others, and be sure to allow more time for braking and such.
        Check the other threads, there is a lot of great info and tips in them.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

There's a fine line between nervous and cautious - lean toward being cautious. As long as you are wearing proper gear (visibility is a big plus), and protected from the elements you'll be fine. Another "confidence" booster is your tires - a good set will instill confidence during wet weather (Pirelli Stradas, Metzler Z6 or my personal faves Michelin PRII's) will greatly increase the stability of the bike in the wet, giving you more control and grip. Riding in the rain is a learned skill, which you gain gradually. Depending on the age of your tires, changing to a set of the previously mentioned tires will dramatically improve the traction of the Kat in the wet - best of the 3 are the PRII's which I am getting ready to replace after a solid 18K of use. Practice when you can, so that when you do get caught in the rain, you will have the confidence in both your ability and the bike to get you to your destination safe and sound. A few other points: Always make sure your tires are properly inflated - low pressure will make the bike "squirrely" and unstable in all conditions. If it is just beginning to rain, ride gently until the oils have lifited from the crown of the road (at the onset of rain, NEVER ride on the crown, where the majority of oils are). Good rain gear or water-resistant textiles and gloves will make it easier to concentrate on riding, and not being miserable from the wet. I'm sure other will chime in to add to these simple steps to ensure your safe during wet weather riding.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

One of the best bits of advice I ever read and adopted was to loosen up your grip on the bars when riding, whether it be in rain, wind or both. If you tense up, you are basically turning yourself into a "sail" for your bike.

So : raining ? Starting to feel tense ? - Loosen up your grip on the bars

Windy and getting nervous ? - Loosen up your grip on the bars !!
            My country is the world...... my religion is to do good.

Comment

Pay attention to the roads contours and try and stay to the high side. I find on the majority of roads i ride that places me towards the yellow lines. Definately stay away from the center of the lanes like mentioned, especially when it starts to rain. If its raining hard I like to follow the tracks from a car in front.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, bit use extreme caution any time your going to cross painted lines. They tend to be real slick.

Comment

Nervous of riding in the rain? Don't be. The basics of riding well in the wet are the same as riding in the dry, you just need to think a little harder...

It's a matter of relaxing and being smooth.

Comment

Every rain storm, and every road is different.

Treat rain like a new tire (and vice versa).

Don't make sudden movements, and be aware of your surroundings.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by 93 kat View Post
                    I just stayed in tbe mddle of the lane to keep out of the puddles.
                    Worst thing you can possibly do, apart from trying to set speed records in rain slick turns.

We were taught in the MSF course, to always avoid the center of the lane, because that's where oil, coolant, transmission fluid, blood etc. from cars collects. And the first 10 minutes of a rain are the most dangerous, because all of the above mentioned substances lay on the roadway, mixing with water to form hell on asphault. After 10 minutes, they told us, the rain washes the vast majority of those fluids away.

Ride in the tire tracks of the car in front of you. Less water you have to fight, less auto fluid in your way.
                    Last edited by Scout; 11-23-2011, 09:49 AM.
                    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Also a light rain is more slick than a heavy rain in my experience. Downpour- easy to ride in.

Light rain-bike floats everywhere.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I just stayed in tbe mddle of the lane to keep out of the puddles and did the speed limit or 5mph slower and I was ok. Be cautious but dont be scared.
                        That's the worst advice to give or even do yourself.

I've yet to be stuck out in the rain on this bike but then again I've only ridden it maybe a combined 10 hrs this year. I have noticed that this bike is a little tail happy on wet surfaces though. I've ridden many other bikes in the pouring rain and like it's been said above, the center of the lane is extremely slippery especially at the intersections (before and after). Ironically the worst bike I ever road in the rain IMO was my brothers 88 Katana 600. It was a handful but once you got used to it you were fine.

Comment

Another rain riding tip is watch the transmission gear you are in. You want to be in a gear that results in somewhere in between light coasting and a little engine braking. This way you can control your speed by throttling down for the engine braking to slow you down but not so much that your rear tire will skid. It helps you avoid depending strictly on the your brakes for slowing down or stopping. If you are going 30-45 mph this is probably somewhere between 4th or 5th gear.

Comment

Worst advice ever? Wow I was just giving my opinion telling him how I did it. Just give the guy advice no need to be so harsh on my opinion damn.

Comment

Worst advice ever? Wow I was just giving my opinion telling him how I did it. Just give the guy advice no need to be so harsh on my opinion damn.

If that was aimed at me then my bad.

Even in dry weather you should avoid the centers. The rain just makes it that much worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X