No announcement yet.
X

Whats the most valuable piece of information for a new rider

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GEAR, helmet, no matter what. Shorts and a t-shirt don't count as gear.
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN........
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!!
    Again, I can not stress it enough,
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN AND SHINEY SIDE UP.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Just be smart, and respect Murphy's law. Stuff happens, it WILL happen, just be ready. Oh yeah, and have fun!!!

Comment

#1 Wear the Gear
        #2 Take the MSF no matter the skill level, even the pros practice
        #3 Like my old linebacker coach said, "Keep your head on a swivel" Always be looking for the other guy before they find you
        #4 buy a Katana, they Rock!
        #5 Have fun when you ride

Comment

Find a good mentor.

Internalize vulnerability.

Practice.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

The most valuable thing that every new rider HAS to remember is this: You WILL make that turn. Too many riders are killed every year because they get into a turn too hot and panic. They run wide out of the turn and hit a tree, sign, mail box, you name it.

Our bikes are far more capable than any of us are. And you need to remember that and trust that. If you're feeling like you're not going to make that turn...more lean, more throttle and look through the turn. One of two things will happen. You will make the turn (which is 98% of the time) or you will low side your bike. It's much better to low side the bike and yourself than running smack into something in a panic.

I didn't realize how far more capable my bike is than I am until I got on the track, and especially watching other track riders. If you don't believe me, I invite you to come to the track with me and watch. It is amazing what our machines will do if our brain lets them. Don't wind up a statistic because you think that you can't make that turn. YOU CAN!

--Laura
            If you're not on a SpeedWerks bike, you're probably behind one.

www.speedwerks.com

Comment

you are right Laura, track time is a definite way to learn, like I and some others said, go to track days. You can learn you limit and the bikes limit and like you said the bikes limit always is higher than yours.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                you are right Laura, track time is a definite way to learn, like I and some others said, go to track days. You can learn you limit and the bikes limit and like you said the bikes limit always is higher than yours.
                I agree that people should try the track, but some people won't ever have the desire to do it. Completely understandable. If you want to learn more, one track day will teach you a ton. If you don't ever want to do a track day, then just keep your wits about yourself and remember what I told you.

If you're interested in doing a track day and have never done one before, keep an eye on our web site because we're going to be at a bunch of NESBA days this year doing free suspension tuning and set up, and helping newbies get out on the track. I'll have the schedule in our next newsletter, and I will post it on our site, as well.

www.speedwerks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Speedwerks
                  Originally posted by THAZKAT
                  I agree that people should try the track, but some people won't ever have the desire to do it. Completely understandable. If you want to learn more, one track day will teach you a ton. If you don't ever want to do a track day, then just keep your wits about yourself and remember what I told you.

If you're interested in doing a track day and have never done one before, keep an eye on our web site because we're going to be at a bunch of NESBA days this year doing free suspension tuning and set up, and helping newbies get out on the track. I'll have the schedule in our next newsletter, and I will post it on our site, as well.
                  I agree with you, getting on a bike, any bike and riding with out your brian is totally fullish. I have to add that like all of us have said nothing is better than experience and that has to be learned over time.
                  My bike would need alot of tuning like simulators, fork springs and shock spring. That is due to the pre98 low weight springs. I guess they thought all riders would range between 150 - 180 lbs. lol
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  Who knows what is next?

Comment

Never get cocky, if you do its only a matter of time before the crash. Always respect the bike!

Comment

As a Professional Driver (OTR Truck Driver) let me add my thoughts. Always try to be aware of what's happening at least 1/4 mile in front of you. Your instincts will take care of things right in front of you, but knowing what's happening up ahead will allow you to be prepared for sudden stopping or evasive maneuvers. Proper gear & practice will make you long living rider.

Yes, believe it or not I have people pull right out in front of me on a regular basis. Keep in mind I'm driving a Peterbilt pulling a 53' trailer usually with a gross weight of over 70,000 lbs. Always makes me wonde what their thought process is, if they are even able to have one.

Comment

I have always been told you guys are the most knowledgable on the road...It's great to have one on the site!

Comment

Originally posted by lopeha555
                          Yes, believe it or not I have people pull right out in front of me on a regular basis. Keep in mind I'm driving a Peterbilt pulling a 53' trailer usually with a gross weight of over 70,000 lbs. Always makes me wonde what their thought process is, if they are even able to have one.
                          It's the same thought process people have with motorcycles. They don't have one at all! If you've never driven a big rig (I've driven a truck and trailer for a total of 30' long and about 7,000 lbs worth), you don't understand what it takes for one of those suckers to get stopped. I personally never really thought about it until I drove something of that magnitude. Now, I give big rigs proper room, signal way in advance before I move in front of them in a lane, don't ride in their blind spots, etc....all of the proper things to do.

For motorcycles, it's the same. I can honestly say before I rode a motorcycle, I couldn't tell you how many motorcycles I *didn't* notice on the street. Now I can see one from miles away. It's all about experiences you've had that help you understand.

www.speedwerks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Speedwerks
                            Originally posted by lopeha555
                            It's the same thought process people have with motorcycles. They don't have one at all! If you've never driven a big rig (I've driven a truck and trailer for a total of 30' long and about 7,000 lbs worth), you don't understand what it takes for one of those suckers to get stopped. I personally never really thought about it until I drove something of that magnitude. Now, I give big rigs proper room, signal way in advance before I move in front of them in a lane, don't ride in their blind spots, etc....all of the proper things to do.

For motorcycles, it's the same. I can honestly say before I rode a motorcycle, I couldn't tell you how many motorcycles I *didn't* notice on the street. Now I can see one from miles away. It's all about experiences you've had that help you understand.
                            Yes, exactly, I purposely use my signals all the time, to be sure that the person(s) around know I will be making a lane change. It doesn't matter what vehicle I am using, bike, truck, car or Semi.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            Who knows what is next?

Comment

I used to drive truck as well, and man, its amazing how quickly people actually expect you to stop..especially when you are coming up on an intersection with a stop light, and it turns red, and the car in front of you should go thru and just decides to slam on the brakes!!!

Comment

Re: Whats the most valuable piece of information for a new r

Originally posted by Katgirl
                                The MSF course did a pretty good job with teaching riding, but failed to give really valuable info, that only a seasoned rider could give.
                                What would you share with a new rider, to possibly get out of a "sticky"situation?
                                I would stress the importance of looking where you want to go, and getting rid of that instinct of braking with your right foot!
                                I'd go with all of the above, and add that when you hit that corner that you don't think you're gonna get round, COUNTER STEER!
                                lean harder into the bend, and put alot of weight on your grip closest to the ground, thh bike won't kick, you'll avoid a high-side, and your turn will tighten. Seems like the wrong thing to do in a turn, but it works.
                                Got me out of a situation a couple of times.
                                Oh, and as everybody else says, I can't stress enough, ASSUME YOU ARE INVISIBLE TO ALL OTHER ROAD USERS!!
                                "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"

Comment

Working...
                                X