X

Whats the most valuable piece of information for a new rider

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GixerKat
    Tom, thats way kewl!!! Wish someone had been around when I first started riding. I know this is before a lot of peoples time but my first street bike was a Kawasaki H2 Mach III 500cc two stroke triple. It would wheelie from standing start to over 60 mph though the gears. It was a beast (when it was on the power band) and no way in h3ll should I have been riding it (in t-shirt, jeans, tennies and no gloves most of the time, oh, and no helmet either). Glad I survived to smarten up.!!!
    I learned the hard way, too.
    Kawi 750.
    No jacket, no lid, no brains.
    No idea how I survived either. I dumped that thing quite a few times. Only thing that saved me was I was it scared the pee outta me and I didn't ride too far or too fast.
    sigpic

Comment

MSF COURSE >>MSF>>>MSF>>>MSF...there's not better way to start out riding. wear ur gear and use common sense..it'll take u a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by Haggisman
        Ride as if everyone on the road is going to hit you, be aware of what is going on around you and anticipate problems befre they become problems.

(SIPDE)

Scan
        Identify
        Predict
        Decide
        Execute
        I do not think that you can stress this enough with a beginner rider or driver. There are too many people out there that are distracted while driving.

Another point that I would tell a beginner is that your throttle can get you into a lot of trouble, but it can also be used to get you out of trouble. Sometimes you are better of getting on the gas and getting out of a bad situation instead of panicking and locking up the brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by GixerKat
          Tom, thats way kewl!!! Wish someone had been around when I first started riding. I know this is before a lot of peoples time but my first street bike was a Kawasaki H2 Mach III 500cc two stroke triple. It would wheelie from standing start to over 60 mph though the gears. It was a beast (when it was on the power band) and no way in h3ll should I have been riding it (in t-shirt, jeans, tennies and no gloves most of the time, oh, and no helmet either). Glad I survived to smarten up.!!!
          sure make me feel old ! - i had ( co-owned with my brother )
          a green 500 mach III that we blew up then stuff'd a 750 motor in it (mach IV i beleive )
          a friend was a mechanic and have a set of semi-cop forks - god that was
          one hell of a bike !

a few years later i bought another 500 Mach III but as a starving student and an odd carb problem on #3 - it got a hotter plug. i should have fixed it properly and finally put a hole in #3 piston.

gotta love 2 strokes

tim

Comment

Know when and when not to ride. Do not ride when over-stressed, over-emotional, drunk OR hungover. You need a clear, calm mind to negotiate the concrete jungle.

Imagine what it would be like to bounce along the tarmac at 60mph and then dress appropriately.

Realize that drivers are idiots who are safe in their cages and blind to you. Scan every intersection, whether the lights are with you or not.

Cornering: Slow, Look, Lean, Roll. Forget who's behind you and who's ahead of you. Look through the corner. In a situation when you are too hot going in, do not brake, lean harder and trust the tires. The bikes limits far exceed your own.

Ride your own ride. That old cliche is the hardest to stick to.

And if you are anything like me, you'll make at least one big mistake on each ride i.e. pulling out too fast without seeing the fast oncoming car, downshifting and letting out the throttle without slowing down enough, getting off without putting the kickstand down (whats another mirror?!), braking in a corner, panicking etc. Learn from these mistakes and don't beat yourself up. Sometimes you have to experience it to know how to avoid it - an unfortunate irony.

Awareness. Practice and perfect it, then enjoy the ride!!!

(This is a very worthwhile thread that could easily sum up the main points in many of the current sportsriding texts and MSF. Very worthwhile for a beginner so everyone should add their two cents IMHO! )

P.S. I am still a beginner!

Comment

well said babs... the only way to get better is to ride ride ride.. i took the msf class and learned a lot and rode for a while. it was not until i met up with a few from this board that i really learned to ride better. watching and following other riders that i learned how to ride even better.
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by Babs
                whats another mirror?
                About $20-$25 . Should I start stocking up again ?
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Recognize your abilities and don't ride beyond them. I know I'm not a knee-dragger and it really doesn't bother me. I don't ride to impress anyone.

Comment

Ride your own ride. Always.
                    Find a riding buddy that's willing to take the time to help you (safely) progress in riding skill.
                    You can read books about motorcycling but nothing beats practice, practice, practice.
                    Watch out for cagers and animals - always expect them to do the unexpected.

Comment

every one here is rite take the corse not only will it help but insurance will give breake after complete . then go to the biggest parking lot you can find that is empty and practice get a fell for the bike and practice

Comment

Ride as if everyone on the road is going to hit you
                        Yep thats what I do. Call me over-cautious but when you ride in city traffic everyday; its kept me safe so far *knock on head*

and...

Practice, practice, practice....get out whenever possible.
                        Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

Don't wear boxers, because when you go down the highway, and you hit a bump, and you slide forward just a little bit, your bulls hit the tank, and it hurts a lot. Wear something that keeps them nice and tight up against your body!!!

And yes, I am serious!
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                            Don't wear boxers, because when you go down the highway, and you hit a bump, and you slide forward just a little bit, your bulls hit the tank, and it hurts a lot. Wear something that keeps them nice and tight up against your body!!!

And yes, I am serious!
                            so wear a cup then!!

Comment

They don't make them that smal..... I mean, BIG

If I wear my Leopord Print thong, then I am fine, cuz it holds them nice and tight. Pretty much anything but boxers works fine, I just like the look of the leopord print. That, and if I go down, and get hauled away in a ambulance, I figured it would give the EMT's a nice laugh!
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                                They don't make them that smal..... I mean, BIG

If I wear my Leopord Print thong, then I am fine, cuz it holds them nice and tight. Pretty much anything but boxers works fine, I just like the look of the leopord print. That, and if I go down, and get hauled away in a ambulance, I figured it would give the EMT's a nice laugh!
                                TMI !!!!!!! I can't get that thought outta my head now!!

Comment

Working...
                                X