X

Trying to get going from a stop...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JesterGfx
    I find it helpful (especially in those slow immediate turns) to crack the throttle a bit, and feather the clutch in and out to control the speed. This way you're throttle stays in one spot and you can keep a pretty consistant control over your speed through the clutch lever alone.
    +1 on that.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
      Remember, u can ride the clutch just alittle bit when starting out, it won't burn it up just doing that till you learn.. dont be afraid to get on the throttle when you start out and rev it up to 2500 or so, and then EASE out the clutch very slowly and you'll pull right out no problem. Its not something you wanna do all the time in every gear, but until you get used it, its not a bad way to learn. Especially when you're starting out on inclines..

just ask charliemav
      YOU SUCK, MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES! I stalled out more times on an incline than I want to admit. BUT with the help of some kick-arse people, all I had to do was relax, listen to their instruction and concentrate
      KARA

I'm a whole lotta woman, but a whole lotta fun!

Comment

If charliemav can do it, anybody can!!

Comment

i had the same issue - things I learned trying to learn the clutch..

1. For pete's sake - make sure it's in 1st. I can't get started in 2nd to save my life - i've tried! and, I'm still trying. tough, ego busting lesson learned.

2. Duck walk it - play the friction zone. I do this at stop lights a lot - and, if your nervous at the light, i covered the front brake my first few lights - but, i had no issues. AND! i think it makes cars notice you when your moving around a bit at a light.

3. and, Make sure it's in 1st. (can you tell I'm a little 'hurt' from that experience?!?!?)

4. don't feel rushed to get your feet off the ground - start with both of them on the ground and lift them when your going - starting with one foot on the pegs throws my balance off a bit.

5. most important - make sure it's in 1st. i don't want anyone else feeling the 'pain' i had when the guy i was riding with - walked over and smirked 'is it in 1st??' - after, i had failed about 20 times trying to get going...we were in a parking lot. sad, sad, moment.

anyone agree or disagree with that??

I've got less than 150 miles on my kat - it took me about 30-40 'in-town' and parking lot miles to feel confident with the clutch
          - d.i.l.l.i.g.a.f. -

Comment

One of the things I did with my students when I was a German driving instructor (and still do with newbies when I teach them) is to put the bike up on the centerstand in 1st and teach them to release the clutch smoothly without using any throttle -- let them practice for 15 - 20 minutes doing it without stalling. Then I get the bike out in a parking lot and have them repeat the same drill until they can effectively do it by muscle memory (start moving using only the clutch). Once you have that level of clutch control, the throttle input isn't nearly as important as everyone thinks it is... and the rest of the lessons go far far easier.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I too couldnt quite find the sweet spot when i started out riding. Like everyone has said just find an empty space and practice only starting and stopping for 30 mins or so. You will be a pro soon enough

Comment

when i took my msf i stalled so much i was getting annoyed. the problem in the end was i just wasnt giving enough gas.

on the second day i was getting pissed. i was at a stop we were supposed to be just practicing the friction zone, rolling forward and backwards withough really moving. i ended up planting both feet on the ground hard and kind of forward a little bit. i was strong enough to hold the bike back while giving it a good bit of gas. so when it came to start rolling forward id just plant my feet hold the bike until my shoes started to slide forward then id just pick my feet off and be on my way no problems.
                03 katanika

Comment

I had trouble with getting the bike rolling when I first got it as well, it's because I was thinking it was like a car where the throttle is what controls the forward movement, and I was stalling the bike. It wasn't till my dad told me it's just the opposite that you have to feed the clutch that I started doing better.
                  Originally posted by AbeezieSoNeezie

fact: a yammie is a girls bike
                  fact: more that one girl rides yammies therefore yammies = a bunch of girls
                  fact: girls lie

therefore, the following equation is true.
                  girls = yammah
                  yammah = a bunch of liars

Comment

When I started out riding during the motorcycle school, we went for our first street ride ever. At one point, the shift lever got stuck... meaning when I tap down, it doesnt spring back up.. it gets stuck down. I didnt quite notice at first. Here comes a stoplight. There's 10 other students behind me. Stall. Stall. Stall. I'm getting furstrated, im holding up traffic and the class, not to mention embarassed... Then I did my most uber clutch control ever and slooowly pulled off... throttle wiiiide open but still moving at a turtle pace. Found out later it was in third gear. My foot acted as a manual "return spring" for a bit before instructor looked at it and fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X