Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Guys or ladies got any tips on slow turns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys or ladies got any tips on slow turns?

Im just wondering ,my situtation is I have an 1100 kat giant beast ,and if I go slow in a turn it kinda feels like the front tire is bouncing across to make the turn rather then rolling in to it ...I know I know just go faster right? well thats not always possible I cant take a 40 mph turn in a parking lot weaving to find a spot like I can in normal situations on the street.Any thoughts opinions or ideas?
    1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
    2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
    sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
    Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
    A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Wanna get better at slow speed maneuvers? Here's my method:

When coming to a stop (light sign whatever), brake early and see how long you can stay upright. I can stay up for almost 5 seconds at a dead stop without putting my feet down, and I swear it helps low speed turning. Its all about muscle memory.

Practice is what it takes. Go to a parking lot and drive really slow
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yea Im great with balance I can ride about 20 seconds goin slow before puttin down my feet ...I think it maybe more of a tire issue/heavy bike issue but like you said practice will compensate for it .
      1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
      2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
      sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .

Comment

MSF! And how do you get to Carnegie Hall? -Practice!

Seriously if it is bouncing, it sounds more like a tire/bearing/fork issue. Are the tires cupped? Bearings (head and wheel) loose? Slop in the forks?
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Bit of back brake, ride the clutch, revs up to 4000rpm or so??? A bit of practice and you'll turn on a dime slower than walking pace.

Revs act like a gyroscope keeping the bike upright, back brake stops you from holeshooting.

Comment

yahh use the friction zone and practice practice
            sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
            k9 GSX-R 600
            GO VOLS!

Comment

Thanx for the thoughts guys I appreciate it and will apply my new found skills on my long ride wednesday from pa to jersey
              1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc

Comment

Originally posted by quik89Kat View Post
                Thanx for the thoughts guys I appreciate it and will apply my new found skills on my long ride wednesday from pa to jersey
                damn what part of pa
                2000 Katana- vance and hines exhaust 03+ rear end, 14/48 sprockets, stage 1 jet kit, 5 degree ignition advancer, WANT B12 HEADER

1997 S10- 3/4 drop on 20 inch rims, tinted tails, shaved doors, tailgate, antenna, 12 inch orion sub with 1200 watt orion amp, hvac controls relocated in glove box, sony head unit with infinity components, smoothed and painted dash parts, chrome window cranks and shifter, too much to list

Comment

Originally posted by quik89Kat View Post
                  Depending on where you are in PA, we're looking at a wintery mix of rain and snow Wednesday and Thursday (which sucks, too, 'cause my Kat's been calling to me for two weeks now).
                  "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

18 year old bike.
                    My first suspicions: needs new steering head bearings, a fork rebuild (seals/oil) if it feels like it's bouncing through the turn, and possibly a better set of tires (or the right tire pressures). The steering head bearings are particularly susceptible because they are open to the bottom, meaning lubrication, when it gets hot in the summer, tends to fall ground-wards; over time, this results in bearings that make notches in their races and is simple to test for -- bike on center-stand (or front wheel in the air via whatever method), turn the handlebars slowly -- the motion should be a smooth transition with no notchiness at all in both directions from extreme left to extreme right & back. Aftermarket replacements from All Balls are significantly better design than OEM and run typically under $35 for the bearings.

Technique will let you ride a bike slowly through a turn, but the symptom you are describing doesn't sound like an issue with the technique -- IMHO, it sounds like a symptom of the bike itself.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Last edited by The CyberPoet; 12-03-2008, 10:47 PM.
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Good stuff! Thanks for the links!

My 1st bike & 3rd Child: Midnight Blue 2005 Kat 750

(Something for the faster-moving projectile fan in us all:
                      http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.as...4238689A5F27F0 )

Comment

I would worry more about why your tire feels like it's bouncing?? I don't care how slow you go and how much your bike weighs, you shouldn't feel a bouncing feeling. You need to fugure that out first....

However, slower turns: Turn your head, Counterweight, more rear brake and less front. In fact, for really slow turns, I use rear brake only

Comment

As an instructor this comes up all the time when teaching slow speed skills...the key to slow speed if the use of the clutch, gas and REAR brake. If you find the friction point and bring up the revs and use the REAR brake you will find that you have alot more balance and control of the motorcycle. Practice your slow speeds at all times and you will find you will become better the more you practice.
                          Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X