No announcement yet.
X

Dont wear laces!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I decided to join the herd and bought laceless riding boots on-line last night. Got a pair or riding pants as well. (...if you can't beat 'em...)

My 1st bike & 3rd Child: Midnight Blue 2005 Kat 750

(Something for the faster-moving projectile fan in us all:
    http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.as...4238689A5F27F0 )

Comment

im in the market for some riding boots, but what do you guys do when youre done riding? carry a change of shoes? i know there are some that are good for "casual wear" also, but it seems like they are the worst of both worlds, minimal protection, laces, and "unique" styling.

-kevin

Comment

I've worn Aplinestars Ridge boots for a few years , and they actually do ok for walking around & such . I actually use them for winter boots too , as they're waterproof . Good for shoveling snow . They DO look pretty stupid when you're forced to wear them with shorts , though . But I've worn them HIKING actually (and climbing the steep-*** hills at a hillclimb event ) , and there was no pain . Even look passable under jeans , as they ain't too flashy ..
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

ya know.. i would always have the the strength of laces isnt enough to pull an entire person without breaking. I would think if anything it may break your ankle or something before tearing off the shoe

Comment

Originally posted by XelSS View Post
            ya know.. i would always have the the strength of laces isnt enough to pull an entire person without breaking. I would think if anything it may break your ankle or something before tearing off the shoe
            A set of tennis shoe laces is typically strong enough to hang a man (the reason they remove them from inmates & mental patients before incarceration). Work & combat boot laces are even stronger.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              A set of tennis shoe laces is typically strong enough to hang a man (the reason they remove them from inmates & mental patients before incarceration). Work & combat boot laces are even stronger.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

This is true, due to the design of them. The way that laces are intertwined and braided makes them stronger then they look. I have seen some special ropes before that were 1/4'' and could hang a motorcycle from w/out breaking. Also, if it were to pull your shoe off, you would go with the shoe due to the laces tightening and constricting your footwear ever tighter around your foot.
              Currently Riding:
              1995 Katana 600
              V&H Exhaust
              Jet Kit

SOLD
              2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
              1987 XV700 Bobber
              REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Never had a problem with laces loosening while riding - they are so long that I double wrap them around the top of the boot and then a regular bow knot. They are 12" boots, where the majority is covered by my jeans. One reason I never ride in shoes or sneakers - no matter what, cause the laces would be exposed and easy to catch on things.
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

What was noted right up front was not the danger of the laces coming loose, but that in a right hander, any dangling bits risk getting caught up in the chain due to just gravity.

As for boots themselves : pure race boots are a little loud, so I found leather "touring" style boots more viable in that I can still walk around in a corporate office without drawing attention. Not only that, I bought a pair of Sidi Vertigo's the other day but was disappointed by the fact that they weren't leather (which ones are?) and they didn't feel like they compared to the protection offered by the Daytona (German) touring boots I had. Incidentally, the Daytona's held the weight of the bike, the front of a sedan and a 60 yard slide, but I doubt the Sidi's or Alpinestars I considered could do the same.

PS. Good thread !

Comment

Working...
                  X