Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How do you "dump the clutch" without shutting off the bike..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The point is that there is no reason to pop/dump the clutch.

If you need to take off fast, you'll have better results with a fast feather/slip. If you've got slicks and a wheelie bar, then maybe I'd try other techniques.

Now if you want to wheelie, that's another story, but this is the WRONG bike to be trying that, and there really are better ways to do it anyway (brake, dip, rev, pop, and pull) , IMO....
    WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

8K is high. I tried a wheelie last week at about 5500 and it came up fast and furious. Scared the crap out of myself, let off the throttle, and came down so fast from about 3' up that I smashed my chest into the tank. Launching at 4-5K while feathering clutch is plenty fast to accelerate quickly. 8K and up maybe if racing something really quick.

Good luck.

Yes I know, front forks cant handle 3' drop. Wont happen again.
      '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
      ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
        came down so fast from about 3' up that I smashed my chest into the tank.
        we have an admitted tank slapper

Comment

I used to "Dump the clutch" in my car.( used to break a lot of crapola) I dump the clutch every day in my work truck. ( only way to get a large truck to move.) I can't imagine dumping the clutch on my bike. Man, that has to be hard on a motorcycle clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            we have an admitted tank slapper
            Had to try it once. I will be more respectful of my tank next time. Good to find out what tank slapper meant though. I wasnt thinking about the term when it happened though, just trying to catch my breath.
            '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
            ME.

Comment

I dunno, all these newbs sound a little squiddly to me...
              -
              -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

i tried it once or twice in 2nd at about 6k around 15 mph..to see if i could wheelie...wheel didnt lift an inch just jerked me kinda for a sec..i'll probably never attempt again

Comment

I really can't believe were still discussing this, DON'T DO IT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    I really can't believe were still discussing this, DON'T DO IT!!!

Comment

When I raced, I launched at 7-8k RPM. I certainly didn't dump the clutch, though. I'd feather it out, and roll on the gas, so by the time the clutch was completely out, I'd still be around 6-7k RPM. I did know a guy on a race-only bike that would dump it from 8k, but never on a streetbike.

My definition of tankslapper is certainly different. As I've known it, a tankslapper is a problem, especially on SS bikes with really steep stearing head angles, where when the front end gets light, especially on corner exits, the bars will flap back and forth very violently, like they want to slap the tank.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

keeping thinking thats what a tank slapper is

Comment

when i dumpped the clutch on my old 600 all it did was slip the clutch and sping the tire a little

now with my 750 i was going down the road i was in 2nd and slammed the throttle back and leaned and pulled and it came right up pretty quick let off the gas and keep it steady but thats all i use to do on 4 wheelers dirt bikes hell i even had an old lawn mower that would do a wheelie down the road after flipping on me i welded up some wheelie bars out of an old push mower lol that thing was sweet slow but who else can say they had there mower doing wheelies?

but dumping the clutch will spin your tire, slip the hell out of your clutch, or knock you on your butt
                          Last edited by bigmudder; 05-31-2008, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeH1301 View Post
                            Nah
                            im not gonna practice or anything.
                            i just want to know how to do one just for fun every ONCE IN A BLUE MOON

Comment

Working...
                            X