Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How do you "dump the clutch" without shutting off the bike..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you "dump the clutch" without shutting off the bike..

I tried to hold down the clutch, switch into first, then rev the engine to about 8 rpm and when i let go of the clutch it shuts off.

Can somone explain to me how to do this and do it without

A. Shutt off the bike
    B. Flipping the bike

Thanks
    Blake

I dunno as I'm a newb too... But have you tried feathering the clutch just ever so slightly? Also, are you still giving enough throttle to not stall? You can't just rev it up, release throttle and dump the clutch. With only 600CC's, a heavy bike + rider, you'll still need a bit of throttle.

And why on Earth would you do this? Are you trying to wheelie or burn out? I really suggest you invest in some gear!
    WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

it takes practice to get the rate right trying to leave the line quick. Ease it out smoothly and once it feels like it's starting to grab decent, let it out the rest of the way smoothly as you give it more throttle. The more you practice, the better you get, but it's hard on the clutches, chain and sprockets, not to mention dumping it too quick could cause problems with the transmission.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

I dont wanna do it a lot. i just want to "know how" to do it incase i wanna start quick or something at a light.

Thanks though

Comment

Being that bikes are so light, I never thought you'd need more than a semi- fast release. But dumping it like a cager clutch? Wow! You guys must have good tires!

Allowing some slip still launches me hard enough to aggressively throw my body backwards!
          Last edited by djct_watt; 05-29-2008, 07:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

if I dump it too quick on a cold rear tire it just goes up in smoke. Also setting the rear suspension preload stiffer helps keep the front tire down.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

You would want to slip the clutch out. However, you don't need to be doing 8k launches. If you want to take off quickly and not do a burn out, then you should be doing it at a much lower rpm.
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

So do you think if i was to catch it and go at 8rpms itwould have flipped me?

i weigh 160 and its a 600 GSXF Katana

sorry. im new to bikes

Comment

first your not gonna flip a newer 600 katana, i dumped the clutch to wheelie my kat and i could barely ever hit the balance point.

second, feather the clutch if your wanting a fast take off, and if your wanting to do a rolling burnout you have to get the weight off the back tire and more toward the front.

I predict a clutch replacement in your future.....
                  www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
                  Katana Frame Sliders
                  The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
                  98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
                  I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

Nah
                    im not gonna practice or anything.
                    i just want to know how to do one just for fun every ONCE IN A BLUE MOON

Comment

uuummm, don't do it

Comment

I'm a newb as well, but I have found out that what these guys are all saying is true.....if you roll on the throttle while easing out the clutch and let her slip some.....she'll definitely jump!

Comment

Originally posted by BRAUNSTEIN82 View Post

I predict a clutch replacement in your future.....
                          Yup. I agree
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

if you try it make sure your front tire IS pointing straight ahead.cause if that bike hooks it will do it fast.i forgot at a stop light as i rolled to a stop light changed,poped into first and whamdumped clutch at 9k) .i hooked but the tire was crooked.my legs hurt a lot after keeping the bike from going over.not. fun.i wouldn't recommend doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeH1301 View Post
                              Nah
                              im not gonna practice or anything.
                              i just want to know how to do one just for fun every ONCE IN A BLUE MOON
                              it only take one time to get in trouble you are asking because you want this to be a regular routine once you do it once you will do it twice you are asking for trouble young man
                              sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Working...
                              X