rain-x on visor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
    WOW! Am I missing something???

I've used both Rain-X and Fog-X (just bought another bottle 'cause the rain finally showed up this weekend) and both work great! Water really beads up and just flings off at speed. No fogging problems with the Fog-X either.

Most likely the reason I haven't had problems is because I only have to use it about 10 times a year. Haven't used it enough to damage the visor yet. Didn't even think about continuous use. I usually go through two visors a year and a new helmet every two.
    TDR I ruined a cheap plastic mirror with one application of RainX. The RainX stripped the coating right off of the mirror. Some helmet manufacturers recommend RainX and others do not. It all depends on the construction of your shield.

Comment

i use rain-x on my shoei rf1000, and the visor is fine

Comment

I've used Rain-X on my Icon and never had a problem. It works good too.
        "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting," Holy sh*t!!! What a ride!!!"

Comment

I use carnuba wax on my visor. It has not yellowed and sheds the watter pretty well. I wax my helmet frequently so I go ahead and do the visor too. It also helps to get the bugs off if it has been waxed.

Comment

The Plexus scratch repair kit/cleaner makes water bead , too . Just the cleaner will , actually . But I don't bother with it that much . I just tuck in when I can , turn my head when speeds are high enough to shed water , and use my fingers when they're not .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I used to use Pledge (furniture polish) on my visors...inside and out. Worked pretty good and my visor wouldn't fog up inside if it was cold and nasty outside....but, I haven't used it recently as I'm just getting back into riding after a protracted absence, so maybe try it on an old visor first to see if there are any issues.
              ----------------------
              Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150. ~Author Unknown
              ----------------------
              Bikes in the garage...
              '82 Katana 1100
              '01 Honda VTR1000
              '05 BMW R1200RT
              and a couple of Royal Enfields in boxes!

Comment

pledge works good enough...and smells nice
                You're Welcome,
                - The Social Invalid

Comment

i wipe mine down with armor all works great bug dont stick water runs off and dosent hurt the plastic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                    WOW! Am I missing something???

I've used both Rain-X and Fog-X (just bought another bottle 'cause the rain finally showed up this weekend) and both work great! Water really beads up and just flings off at speed. No fogging problems with the Fog-X either.

Most likely the reason I haven't had problems is because I only have to use it about 10 times a year. Haven't used it enough to damage the visor yet. Didn't even think about continuous use. I usually go through two visors a year and a new helmet every two.

10 times a year in SoCal? Tom stop riding through the neighbors yards n they're watering them just so you can say you rode in the rain. It's not the samething
                    '06 600 Katana
                    http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
                    Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
                    Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

Go to cycle gear. They sell some stuff in a bottle for bout 8 bucks and you just rub it on the visor and let it dry. Rain slides off just like rain-x and bugs don't stick as much. Works really well. I'll try to find the name of it.
                      Life is a really long ride. Make sure you do it in style.

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle View Post
                        I've used it before, and It doesn't really help.

I noticed that the visor got foggy more often with it...not sure if it was a direct correlation with the rain-x though....

Keep in mind that your cars wind shield is at an angle, so it's easy for the water just to slide up the windshield, but a visor is a different story...

Arai helmet if it matters.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
                        X