Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Question: #1 reason noobs drop their bikes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I already had my noob crash. too much brake into the corner and locked up the front wheel. Of the few things i could have done (let go of the brake, not turned onto the side street, throttle) im a noob and crashed.

someone said dress for the crash and not for the ride. That is good advice. My gear kept me from getting much more than a skinned knee.
    Last edited by iseeinyou; 03-29-2008, 04:57 AM.
    If you dont get free tacos out of the deal then keep walking.

Comment

• If in doubt about the place where you parked your bike, move it

I parked next to a couple of bikes by my school but mine didn't seem to lean as much into the kick stand as the other 2, ended up tipping over and breaking a mirror and turn signal right after I started to walk away... I had doubts the whole time...
      -'96 Katana 750-

-Max

"Everyday in which you learn something isn't a complete loss"

Comment

• Originally posted by mlevenchuk View Post
        If in doubt about the place where you parked your bike, move it

I parked next to a couple of bikes by my school but mine didn't seem to lean as much into the kick stand as the other 2, ended up tipping over and breaking a mirror and turn signal right after I started to walk away... I had doubts the whole time...

burnsville, mee too. i dont really have anyone to ride with, you ride much?
        ford guy turned kat rider

Comment

• Forgot to tuck the laces and they got caught on the gear shift. I turn onto a side street, pull off the side, and didn't even think about it when I tried to put my left foot down when I came to a stop. My foot couldn't move, and over I went. I got lucky on that one and had no damage. N.needless to say tucking the laces is something that I am particularly careful about now.

Comment

• Wife Dropped my bike 3 weeks ago

I been giving her lessons.. just working on the basics and she did really well the first 3 weekends, then she didn't drive b/c it was cold for about 3 months. Well we went out on a clear saturday in the high school parking lot and she had been riding for about 30 minutes practing starting off - shifting up to 3rd and making loops. I had warned her that when she made turns to not drop off the pavement into the sand as it gets a little less frictiony for the rubber. Well she was making a little tighter turn than usual and she saw the sandy shoulder of the road (2 to 3 inch drop) and got scared and locked up the front brakes going about 8 or 10 mph and the weight pitched forward and the wife (130lbs) couldn't hold up the bike's weight and it fell over. She tried to stop it by straddling and it fell on her leg. I was so scared but too far away to help. She sat on the ground with her legs crossed cyring (b/c she had dropped my bike) and I was scared. Once I found out she was okay and she was upset about the bike, i felt a lot better. Bike parts are cheaped compared to...well you know. My advice is that if you see your making a low speed turn to wide and you are bout to drop off the pavement as a noob, Center the bike and straighten the wheel and brake hard straightline. If that is not possible due to someone riding to close behind you, it's either time to drop off the shoulder and hold it steady or gas on it and lean. Let your skill level and the shoulder be the deciding factor. Damage done, broken clutch lever and sprained wrist with sore ankle. All healed in 3 weeks and that reminds me... need to order new clutch leaver.
            Chris Lovett
            Yazoo City, MS
            2006 Katana 600

Comment

• Inexperiance. Thats it.

DC Born..Maryland Bred

I will never be forgotten. I will only fade as time goes on from your consious thoughts.

Comment

• just getting used to the weight. i dropped mine on the first day because it just feels awkward. i been hitting the gym hard, getting my upper body stronger and now its no longer a problem!.

Comment

• Originally posted by jnisme View Post
                  Forgot to tuck the laces and they got caught on the gear shift. I turn onto a side street, pull off the side, and didn't even think about it when I tried to put my left foot down when I came to a stop. My foot couldn't move, and over I went. I got lucky on that one and had no damage. N.needless to say tucking the laces is something that I am particularly careful about now.
                  Originally posted by iseeinyou View Post

someone said dress for the crash and not for the ride. That is good advice. My gear kept me from getting much more than a skinned knee.

sounds right!
                  Last edited by seethesvt; 04-05-2008, 02:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  ford guy turned kat rider

Comment

• i remember the 1st couple of times i had a ninja, i would come up on a turn like down the block from my house, when ever i turned i'd always end up tipping the bike over.

I guess it was due to not enough speed or i'd let off the throttle and then let on again. Or how i was leaning.
                    1995 SUZUKI 600 My PURPLE BEAST =)

My build and progress thread

Comment

• I dropped mine today on stupidity where my hand slipped on the throttle in reved the engine high and I freaked out and lost my balance. Scraped up the mirror and dinged up the body a little bit.

Yes I am a noob.

Comment

• I dropped mine off the stand while swapping the engine. I only broke a turn signal.
                        If something is hard its not worth doing
                        1984 Can-Am ASE 250
                        1989 Katana Race bike
                        2001 Bandikat (bandit with kat swap)
                        As the Project build continues

www.azkatriders.com

Comment

• dropped

i dropped mine once when i was making a u-turn and it was just too tight and i used the front brake even tho i KNOW your not supposed to..just paniced.

also i do u-turns kinda slow, normally i barely lean..just turn the handle bars slighlty..wip my head far back..and no a moderately slow-u-turn with minimal lean.most lean towards the end of the procedure. They are not as tight as id like em but ive never had a problem at a regular stoplight fitting a u-turn. Anything wrong with a slow u-turn?

Comment

• I don't peg up until I am have some speed,5-10 mph that way I can use my legs to push up with if i start to lean to much in slow speed turns,parking lots and etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Santiago View Post
                              Just wanted to thank Slamcool again for the advice. The technique has improved both starting on a hill and slow maneuvers. Good tip for anybody running into the same issues as I was.

Thanks.
                              Now we are many months later. You probably master the technique by now, how is it going? I'm sure you're a pro

Your not gonna drop that bike ever...
                              Everyone should do it like that, that's how a pro do it

Originally posted by luvmykatana View Post
                              I don't peg up until I am have some speed,5-10 mph that way I can use my legs to push up with if i start to lean to much in slow speed turns,parking lots and etc.
                              Wrong method. You must peg up immediately. Please read back my post on page 6:
                              First bike? Old rider that learned a new lesson?
                              Post your questions, tips and experiences here so we can all learn from them!
                              Last edited by slamcool; 04-23-2008, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• I have had my bike now for 36 hours. I was on it nearly all day today trying to learn, and practice all the basics.

I have a hard time in subdivisions where you have so to a u-turn still which is very annoying. Quick question, do you pros prefer second gear, or first in subdivisions u-turns?

Now my story. I almost set it down last night. As close as I could possibly come to setting it down. I did not know how to get the bike on the centerstand. I tried standing next to it and that didn't work for me, then I tried to sit on it, put my foot on the centerstand and rock back as hard as I could. My foot slipped of the centerstand, and then got caught between the centerstand and the chain. I got real nervous that my foot was stuck and forgot to balance the bike. It started to go down on the right side and since my foot was still stuck we were heading to the ground together. I figured I might as well try to save the bike and I angled my knew to take the full force of my and the bike. It hurt like no other but the bikes paint never actually touched the ground. I immediately went inside and got on kr's to find out the proper way to use the center stand. No problems now
                                Check out me site and let me know what you think. Its a work in progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X