Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Question: #1 reason noobs drop their bikes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Once Had A Guy Test Ride A Gsxr 750 85 Model After Telling Us How Good He Was At Ridding He Rode Down My Drive Way 12 Foot Then Turned On To The Road Got His Right Hand Caught On Full Lock Against The Tank Dropped It I Laughed He Had Done About $1500.00au Damage And I Made Him Buy The Bike For Full Price He Won For On Ebay Of $1700.00au
    A Knobhead Will Always Be A Knobhead
    I Still Laugh 3 Years After It Happened
    Cheers
    Jezza'

Comment

I did it twice... Once trying to learn how to use the center stand... (dumb, b/c it's easy once you know how!) Second I pulled ontot he side of the road to adjust my saddle bag. I put the kickstand down in dirt. It sank and fell over... doh!
      2007 GSXR 600 BLACK
      Traded in the 02 KAT 600 and sold the 02 KX250..
      2003 KX 125 (sold)

Comment

Slow speed cornering for me. My first drop today, yeah! Thanks for the re-assurement that I'm not the only one.

Comment

when i had my gsxr I made sure they had sliders on ... best advice ever... I dropped it so many times... mostly from stopping lol. Then I got my Kat ... I only dropped him once. I was still on 2gear when I tried to go from a red light and my bike jumped and down he went. Thankfully a cop was there (haha I probably wont say that often) and he helped me pick up my bike and I went on my merry way!!
          With a hip hop the hippie to the hippie
          The hip hip a hop a you don't stop the rockin
          To the bang bang boogie
          Say up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie the beat

Comment

Ah! Let's see!

1.- I dropped the Kat for the first time within 1 hr of delivery!!! Forgot to put the side stand down!?!?!?
            Minimal cosmetic damage, barely visible.

2 and 3.- Manuevering in the garage, it's weight overpowered me, engine off. Minimal cosmetic damage.

4 and 5.- I stopped into uneven surface dropping the bike. (People watching here folks,,, plenty of embarressment, thanx God for Solid colored face shields!!!!)

6.- Rolled forward and the side stand retracted, I ALMOST saved her but not quiet,,, soft landing and more minimal cosmetic damage.

Every drop was slo-mo, almost saved everytime so there was no real impact, no cracked plastic, nothing ever broke, 2 times to the left and 4 to the right, minimal cosmetic to paint and such.

The last time that I dropped the bike was over 5 years ago or more so do the math, I was dropping her every 6 months the first 2 years,,,, jeezus!!! what a noob!!! None since, (knock on wood or my head) and hope that never the ZX-14.
            2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
            2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
            2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
            2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Comment

my first real street bike was a '81 kawi 440LTD, very forgiving and lite. foot slipped out at a stoplight and over she went. next was bein joe cool as i rolled into the SA lot to a pump. i STILL swear the kickstand was out, even as i was setting it down on it's left side. step off, look quick to see if anyone's lookin/laughin and heave her back up. final time was the '80 Kawi 750 LTD. was taking it off the center stand in the garage NOT straddling it. came off the stand, started leaning right, next thing i knew i was standing there iwth the left grip in my hand and the skoot on her side in the scrap wood pile. awkward as heck lift as there was an old console sterio in the mix too. i had my first heart attack shortly there after. i thought i'd just pulled some muscles lifting the beastie back up, so i waited 2 days to go in to the doc. that lesson cost me a bunch of heart muscle. i havent fixed the smuck in the right side of the tank as a Bill Engvald "here's your flag" thing
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

1. Parking on fresh blacktop and staying to eat dinner.

2. Stopping at a light in the rain and putting your foot in the greese lane.

Comment

#1 reason I've seen is stopping with handlebars not squared
                  2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyhj2002 View Post
                    Because they're noobs....i forgot to put my kickstand down
                    me too, only once though. now im careful. the very first time was because i didnt know to hit the clutch in turns.
                    ford guy turned kat rider

Comment

Originally posted by StPeteKatRider View Post
                      2. Stopping at a light in the rain and putting your foot in the greese lane.

Comment

1st one was a loose grip on the throttle...so when i went to accelerate away from an intersection i gave it more gas then needed and on wet pavement this caused the bike to loose traction then promptly kick to the side and dump me.. destroyed the right mirror, signal night and brake handle in that one..bent the rear brake lever and straightened it with a cresent wrench later..

2nd one was because i got cut off in a parking lot..had started to proceed away from the yield sign after seeing the way clear and had a cavalier pop out out of nowhere. the cost in that one was another brake lever...

Comment

Trying to check my oil I wen to put my bike back down and the kickstand slipped and of course I"m on the wrong side to catch it

Comment

Originally posted by Black Sheep View Post
                            Well, I've had my Kat for 5 days now and can see how they can be dropped - I haven't yet... but they are freakin heavy! At least when pushing around. Only real problem I've had so far is when trying to park nose out in a parking space. I know I should pass the spot and back it in, but for some reason I tried to ride through the neighboring spaces and turn her out. At that slow speed, turning the bars that far was inadvisable... and resulted in an awkward stutter stop. After I looked around to see who was looking, I rolled forward and backed her in...
                            Thats kinda the mistake I made. When I got it in the spot the ground was sloped to the right and my foot wasnt on the ground until the bike was too far over.Soo I set her down. Being embarissed and #%$*ed definately helped me to hulk up and pick her up on an incline. That was my lesson learned.
                            Sooo cold! I need more pants.

Comment

Didn't drop, but came close to:

At a petrol station, after filling up, my cell phone starts ringing. Couldn't answer the phone there and I was already on the byke, engine started, but without the helmet yet. I hanged the helmet on the right mirror, clush in, first gear... and started riding slowly to the parking lot 10 meters in front of me, legs hanging off the pegs. When I tried to reach the hand break lever, helmet starts to slide of the mirror and I reached it with my right hand. Left hand, clush in... and now I'm paddling like an idiot trying to stop the bike with my feet to avoid hitting some parked cars, whyle holding my helmet on the rigth hand...

Stoped just in time and answered the phone has if nothing happened...

Comment

=USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                                X