Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Additional information....

Stuff from a local (to me) riding team:

Click Me

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Hey, thanks for the props everyone Really good to see you Bisq! You going to make it to the KR rally this year?

Comment

*bump* Just because the article by Kim and all the posts in this thread are excellent.

Comment

I'll add my three pfenning's worth:

Riders who have never ridden two-up:
          This is dangerous in quite a few senses, like jumping on a completely different motorcycle. Acceleration suffers and braking suffers worse. Brake dive increases. Depending the weight and position of your passenger, handling may go totally out the window. So, treat it like you are a combination limo driver and have a brand new bike you're not familiar with. Shift early and easily (they'll enjoy the ride much better without head-snapping at each shift -- and you'll appreciate not getting helmet slapped by their helmet), leave at least 50% more braking distance, and if the passenger's head is higher than yours, keep the speeds at or below the speed limit (to keep them from getting a stiff neck acting as a sail).

Riders, always give a passenger who hasn't been on your bike a pre-ride briefing, even if they've been riding for years. These following are what I tell them in my pre-ride briefing and it works:
          to cue you for permission before they step on every time (no falling over because you were in the middle of putting the sidestand up when the passenger suddenly added their weight unexpectedly),
          to get on from the left (hot exhaust issues on single-sided exhaust bikes)
          to give you a signal saying they are ready to go before you roll away (so they can get situated and adjust their position instead of you accelerating while they are still fiddling and not ready) -- in my case it's a double pat to say it's ok to start (double pat later is to stop).
          instructions on what to do in terms of leaning (I prefer newbies stay upright like luggage; experienced riders can roll with me);
          instructions on how to communicate (stop soon, stop now, slower, etc);
          cue me before you step off (for the same basic reason you did when you got on -- so I'm flat-footed on the ground with both feet and ready for the weight shift);
          And to NEVER EVER rotate around & lean over to look backwards at something (this was the cause of the only serious damaging accidents I had -- and the indirect cause of the 2nd accident that came while trying to nurse the bike home from the first one).

PS - I love how newbie passengers tend to try to steer you when they want you to turn -- eh, sweetie... my love handles taint a steering wheel on a bus!

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah...I see why this got bumped. My sprained wrists gives you a bad signal, Matt.

Normally, my fiance and I have no problems riding two up. I keep it slower (most of the time) and avoid the twisties (for now). When we do have turns and such, she just goes with the bike and doesn't try to follow me at all. She's been riding with her uncle since she was 8. We just like getting out and enjoying the countryside. This one drop (no speed drop at that) was a combination of several factors. Bad slope, rocks, me overcomensating, and other stuff. It's a learning experience. I've learned to avoid that intersection at all costs.

The write up was good info. We defenitely need to work on our signals until I get the intercomm installed.
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

my wife is super awesome on back.
              She has only been on bikes for the last two seasons and only with me.
              I honestly do forget she's there. Sometimes that's a bad thing though and I get a little overzealous. Railing the corners like in in my own private GP race.
              Yah she uses hand sig.s too.
              She grabs my crotch when it's time for a pee break, and...
              She grabs my crotch when she catches me looking at the girlies.

Incidently both signals work equally well.

Love you Rhonda.
              "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Working...
              X