X

Riding right leaning left.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding right leaning left.

This is weird but I find myself riding to the right of my bike. Even when I am riding straight I sit to the right side leaning the bike slightly to the left. I catch myself doing this and correct it but I must do it a lot because my tires are wearing slightly left. Am I the only one, or do you guys favor a side as well?
    sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
    A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

You gotta inner ear imbalance or something? Sounds like a real problem...
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero
      No, I do have a bad left knee though.
      At first, I thought my tracking was off on my bike but I have a motion pro to answer that question.
      It’s not a really heavy lean just about 1 - 2 degrees.
      sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
      A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

Your tires are wearing on the left because the road is crowned for drainage, so it wears heavier on the inside than the outside; if you were in the UK (where they drive on the opposite side of the road), the reverse would happen.

As for you leaning, no clue... could be subconscious fears (stay away from the oncomign traffic), subconscious comfort (doesn't hurt as much this way), or something else

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

There you go! -Ride the crown of the road all of the time or take alot of trips to the UK and you'll no longer experience the wear problems!
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I do the same thing especially on longer trips. I sit to the left side of the seat. Its more of a comfort thing a way to change the way I'm sitting for my knees and back but Ive also found that since I can rest my left arm when I need to sitting offset helps to cut back fatigue with my right
            sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the problem is your bad knee. Your range of motion, ROM, on the left knee is less and it is offsetting you to the right side. Therapy may help depending on how long it's been or you may be able to break up the scar tissue with squats or knee bends. Crowned roads may be whats wearing your tires but sitting off one side or the other needs to be corrected or your riding will be inconsistent at the very least. Are right turns easier than lefts? Or the other way around? I could be way off base here, just a thought.

Comment

Leaning left?

I can only lean to the right and make right turns myself

Comment

Comment

On long rides, as in all day 7+ hours, I will favor a side to give my butt a break.

Comment

I lean left all the way to work and right on the way home but it was due to wind, but you have given me something to think. I use my knees to make slight adjustments lie to today, you don't to use the bars to counteract mother nature
                      go ahead and ruck it!!!

Comment

You know I learned something interesting from a doctor friend of mine the other day.

He told me that he sees guys come in with hips that are uneven, ALL the time. Reason being, the wallet.

Yep, that's right, the wallet, if you are accustomed to having your wallet in your back pocket all the time, and you sit on it in the car at the office or where ever, in time, it will cause some dis-alignment in your lower back and hips. It is very slight, but still enough to cause a problem later on in life.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, BUT, most people when they sit, stand, or do anything, are really never sitting/standing completely straight. We always tend to favor one side of our body. You may not notice it all the time, but if you pay attention, you will find that a lot of the time you are.
                        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                        18v Rigid Drill
                        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Yeah , I heard that YEARS ago . But I NEVER kept my wallet in my back pocket anyway . Heard it's tougher for pickpockets to get it out of your front .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Nero

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
                              You know I learned something interesting from a doctor friend of mine the other day.

He told me that he sees guys come in with hips that are uneven, ALL the time. Reason being, the wallet.

Yep, that's right, the wallet, if you are accustomed to having your wallet in your back pocket all the time, and you sit on it in the car at the office or where ever, in time, it will cause some dis-alignment in your lower back and hips. It is very slight, but still enough to cause a problem later on in life.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, BUT, most people when they sit, stand, or do anything, are really never sitting/standing completely straight. We always tend to favor one side of our body. You may not notice it all the time, but if you pay attention, you will find that a lot of the time you are.
                              When I started having pain in my leg and lower back I went to the doc. One of the things he said was to get a small thin wallet. When I would sit on it it would make my butt cheeks uneven and was pinching a nerve in my back.
                              He also told me to get up and walk at least every hour. Even if it just a walk down the hallway and back to my desk.
                              The combo of those worked great.
                              Now when I ride I keep my wallet in the front jean pocket or in my jacket.

Comment

Working...
                              X