X

Sparky... just dont know where?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparky... just dont know where?

Problem: Keep blowing the ignition fuse (10A) on my 96 Kat 600. Great bike, just during the crank, sometimes it starts, other times it shorts somewhere and i replace the 10A fuse.

So it is in pieces in my garage (all fairings off, things unstrapped. I have tried to follow each wire, in vain, looking for a spot where it has worn through some wire isulation. Blown like 5 fuses as I continue to troubleshoot it.

Heres the question, where would I find the most likely place that it is shorting. Im still kinda new here, so i thought you all may know a place in the Kat design that wires become worn, between the starter, starter relay, batt, clutch shutoff switch, kick stand shut off switch, and ignition switches.

Help if can.... greatly appreciated.
    "There are no short cuts to any place worth going."

First of all, is it the starter circuit? Are you sure it's a 10 amp circuit? Sometimes the lid to the fuse panel has the correct ratings in it -- I'm guessing your starter isn't a 10 amp circuit...

The most usual places for shorts are where the wiring bundle goes around the right side of the engine and leads up to the ignition key; these receive the most vibrations (from the engine) and the most flexing (from steering). The other common place is at the grounding strap from the battery.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
    X