X

Riding in Fog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding in Fog

Yesterday was my first riding experience in the fog, in the dark. The fog was light, but very quickly became hazardous, with the water build up on the shield. I found myself wipeing my face shield with my glove evey 30 seconds or so to be able to see at all. Also, when traffic was passing the other direction, I found myself temporarily blinded from "white out" reflection from the shield moisture. I slowed way down and more than doubled my distance from the vehical in front of me. When I got into the traffic speed of 45mph or so, I just raised the shield and went at it that way. There were several times I thought I was going to have to stop. Any long time verterans have any suggestions for next time??
    It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

I had this problem this year too.....I used the back of my glove to wipe it away.......and it does get scarey for a second when you cant see.
    But that is the time to slow down.....

Comment

I used to put rain-x on my shield. I would turn my head far left and right to let the air blow the mist off.
      "You're going to learn to dicipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here? Take a look at what I'm wearing people. You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."

Comment

I just had to do this same ride yesterday. Left at 6am. 45F temps with patchy fog for the entire 50 minute ride to work.

The best thing to do is keep calm, have a good ant-fog windscreen, a helmet with good ventilation and invest in a pair of gloves with the squeegee on the left index finger. It makes a WORLD of difference.
        2005 Aprilia RST1000
        2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
        1998 Chevy Tahoe
        www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Originally posted by KansasKat
          I just had to do this same ride yesterday. Left at 6am. 45F temps with patchy fog for the entire 50 minute ride to work.

The best thing to do is keep calm, have a good ant-fog windscreen, a helmet with good ventilation and invest in a pair of gloves with the squeegee on the left index finger. It makes a WORLD of difference.
          Im new so I don't feel too about this question....Do they make gloves with a squeegee on the left ? I've never heard of such a thing.

Comment

sure do they also made one you can add to any gloves

Comment

Happens every winter to me. I usally crouch down with my visor just slightly over winsheild. Get going 30+mph and wind pushes moisture down. I use my highbeams roads here have reflecters on all lanes and with the highbeams I can see them far a good distance.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K5GSX600F
                I used to put rain-x on my shield. I would turn my head far left and right to let the air blow the mist off.
                +1 to Rain-X. The stuff works great.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pink
                  Originally posted by KansasKat

Im new so I don't feel too about this question....Do they make gloves with a squeegee on the left ? I've never heard of such a thing.
                  Here are a couple examples that you could try.

Comment

Sweet, thanks! I found one that fitted on the back of your hand, but it looked like someone cut a full size squeegee and put a velcro strap on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K5GSX600F
                      I don't even use rain-x -- just a clean visor should do the same thing: twist the head and the windblast will blow the droplets sideways (forming bigger droplets and clearing the screen). Same as riding in a light mist. Cracking the visor one notch works on two of my helmets (causing the beads to travel upwards), but doesn't on a different brand helmet I have.

If your area is fog-prone, you might want to invest in one of these two additional solutions (in addition to the thumb-wiper):
                      Senica yellow lensed shooting glasses (I use these at night, in fog and in rain, because they raise the contrast ratios and cut glare)

OR
                      Install YellowStar H4 55/60W bulbs (which cast a yellow light that penetrates fog without inducing glare). Doesn't solve light issues from other vehicles, but at least lets your lights penetrate instead of reflecting right back at you.
                      OR
                      BOTH.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Huh , wonder if those Yellowstars illuminate the night as well as the Silverstars ..... If so , sounds like a good diear .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                        X