X

Rain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by md86
    Did we forget "your wet brakes MAY not work as well" ? I rode to work in the rain last week , and when I went to use the brakes , it's like there was NOTHING there . But if you drag them once in a while to clear them , they'll work like they should .
    Did you tinker with the brake pads by using non-spec compounds -- specifically using organics instead of sintered pads?

The OEM specs call for sintered pads, and the OEM calipers should very lightly drag those sintered pads across the rotors constantly (even when the lever is off), producing enough heat and pressure to sweep water off and keep the brakes ready to work on demand even in the heaviest down-pour.

Switching to an organic can screw this up (it doesn't like the dragging), as can switching to calipers intended for organics (since organics are designed to operate much cooler, they are normally retracted away from the rotor when not actively braking -- which means the rotor isn't constantly being swept to clear it).

Of course, it could just be the issue we sometimes get here in Florida -- that a really heavy rain carried road grime (oil, etc) up onto the rotor, and that was keeping it from doing it's job... wiping the rotors down with a paper towel will tell you that (a bit of brake cleaner or just simply windex on a paper towel will get the oil off and get the rotor back up to 100%).

Curious...
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by md86
      Did we forget "your wet brakes MAY not work as well" .
      No, but maybe not the way you mean..

*touch the brakes if you haven't used them or touch them
      if you expect to use them. This will sweep the water off before you need the brakes. Other wise the first bit of braking is used up here.

Comment

Okay , I must've missed it , as I just glanced over to see if it was there .
        Yeah , when I went to turn into a gas station while it was raining , my brakes almost didn't work at ALL . Scary . But as I went down the road later , I rembered to drag them once in a while to clear them . Fine after that .
        And I run EBC HH's .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Clicky for my local weather

well .. more severe storms today and i'm stuck riding it on the way home
          1 to 2 inches of rain ... 20 to 30mph winds with gusts of 35+ .. .. severe thunderstorms .. tornado watch ... high wind warning
          the route i take is a straight shot with a 65mph speed limit ... i can take an alternate route which is slower 40 to 45mph but i'm more liable to get stuck behind other cars .. hit more puddles .. and has a few mild curves

my question is this ... it feels to me like my bike is more stable in winds at higher speeds when i'm tucked .. is that a false sense of security ?
          would you guys suggest taking the faster straight route or the slower route in such foul weather ?

thanks for any input !
          money can't buy you happiness, it can at least buy you beer !

Comment

Originally posted by stickygreen
            my question is this ... it feels to me like my bike is more stable in winds at higher speeds when i'm tucked .. is that a false sense of security ?
            would you guys suggest taking the faster straight route or the slower route in such foul weather ?
            Living in Florida, I see much of the same weather you do... and do whatever I can to avoid traffic backing up or having to stop in the rain (because it means more water hitting my lap).

IMHO: the bike will always be more stable at a higher speed. The rotational forces of wheels, engine's and tranny's rotational masses all provide a gyroscopic effect which reduces the effect of outside forces that want to change your direction. The faster they spin, the heavier these components are (and the further from the center of their rotations the masses are), the more stability is imparted.
            This sucks for racing, where you need to be able to zip around corners (and why race engines are built with lighter materials and lighter wheels), but it's great for straight-line riding in gusty/pouing weather (like you can find a lot of in Florida at certain times of the year).

As for tucking down -- I don't get a stability benefit from it in general (I'm more stable more upright and relaxed, with the wind pushing on my chest and lifting the weight off my wrists). But that could just be me, or a combination of my particular torso height/seat position/etc.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks CP .... i meant to say the route i take home has alot of cross winds .. and these are gonna be bad .... it's the crosswinds (they'll be blowing into my right side) that tucking seems to help with .. i also only do a semi-tuck, i never lay on the tank

i'll take the faster straight router home today

thanks again !

Comment

Riding in the rain

As I'm watching rain come down in sheets, Thanks for the tips. They will come in handy here in the Florida panhandle!

Comment

what a ride home ... woohoo !

35-40mph crosswind in a big downpour at 70 is a little freaky at first .. i think i've officially popped my rain riding cherry today

Comment

I'll be getting that same rain tomorrow.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I /HATE/ rain riding. Rode in it twice. The first time wasn't so bad as I was alone on the road. The second time though I was on International Drive in Orlando where it meets Central Florida Parkway (right by seaworld) and the SUV behind me was too busy trying to find Disney World than to notice he was about 3 inches from my back tire as I was starting to have my rear slip out on me.

Comment

Better tires (& correct tire pressures) will help that, Frilock. Tire pressure too low, and the rain grooves want to fold closed.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I need to get a device that I put on the tire and it fills it up to exactly how much I need in. But yeah, pressure was good that day. Still got the stock tires. Any suggestions on tires for our area?

Comment

I buy mine mail order normally (AmericanMotoTire.com), but if I was buying locally, I'd go to CycleGear and get the extra tire hazard warrantee they offer.

Oh, and the device you just asked for is a foot pump with integrated pressure gauge -- $12 from Walmart.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hey hey! Ask and you shall receive!

Comment

Working...
                              X