Hands getting numb...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thx for the info i learned some stuff

Comment

My hands dont go numb as much as the vibration kills me...to the point it make me feel like my fingers have springs.....feels soooo weird....

Comment

If you've covered all the bases with proper riding technique and all that other good stuff, you might want to try a good pair of gel gloves. I wear a pair of Olympia gel gloves and don't even have problems on my thumping v-twin.
        The Olympia 710 is a very light weight leather/fabric glove similar to the very popular 'mechanix' style gloves. The inside of the hand is leather and the...
        '01 TL1000R

Comment

Actaully BS37066 is on the right track too with relaxing the neck. I am a massage therapist as well and find that alot of times a tight neck compresses on the nerves and veins going down the arms that lead into the hands. If it is an open stretch of road, I lean back for a while no handed (be careful) on the bars several times to bring back flow of blood and feeling to my hands. seems to work.
          My 2 cents
          newride
          The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Comment

i'm new to riding too. as soon as i got my bike i put about 115 miles on it in one day, my first day, of writing, by the end my hands were bothering me too, but after i used some gloves, relaxed, and tried to use my back and legs to hold me up, i was much more comfortable

Comment

Originally posted by mystahagy
              If you've covered all the bases with proper riding technique and all that other good stuff, you might want to try a good pair of gel gloves. I wear a pair of Olympia gel gloves and don't even have problems on my thumping v-twin.
              http://www.newenough.com/olympia_mod...loves_page.htm

+1000 Olympia Gels.
              sigpic

Comment

"The Stranger"

Comment

before I ride I take my finger tips and pull back on them towards my wrist a few times. Then I'll take my thumbs and pull back on them a few times . This seems to help me if I do it a couple of times a day when riding. I think it helps keep your hands loose.

Comment

+1002 on the Olympias. I use 'em also as my primary glove for longer trips.

You may also want to figure out why you have excess vibration and address it (mechanically). I covered harmonic vibration, how it happens, the primary causes on the Kat, and potential long-term medical issues as a result of it in this thread:

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have that issue as well, and after reading this thread, I got some new grips (just bought some inexpensive ProGrip (gel)), and a set of JR gloves. I also concentrate on not putting all my weight on my hands, and it has helped tons.
                      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

i ride with my fingers feathered over the brake and clutch .... i constantly wiggles my fingers when i ride and it keeps the numbness away
                        money can't buy you happiness, it can at least buy you beer !

Comment

Just saw from your profile that you ride a 98 600. You might want to swap out your 600 bars for a pair from a 750, which will put you a bit more upright, thus lessening pressure on your hands.
                          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

You can also try adjusting your clutch and brake levers down a little bit, cause when I got the bike it was a little uncomfortable with my wrists turning up a little bit to pull on the levers.
                            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05
                              You can also try adjusting your clutch and brake levers down a little bit, cause when I got the bike it was a little uncomfortable with my wrists turning up a little bit to pull on the levers.
                              Good idea. On mountain bicycles, the brake levers are pointed down at such an angle that you can not see them when sitting on the bike- the bars obscure them. I find this to be a good guide for location of levers, altho on motorcycles it tends to put the top of the brake/clutch reseviours tilted down at the front. Bad design, IMHO.
                              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I just think you have to relax more. It used to happen to me but not anymore...
                                WHAT MAN? I am a NOOB

Comment

Working...
                                X