Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Who wants to see the inside of my engine ? (56k think twice)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't do anything to the guides and seat . Just slipped out the exhaust valves from that one cylinder and hit the seats with the Dremel . Was told that they looked a little worn , so I'd have to hit them with the grinding compound . Finished cleaning it as much as I care to today , should start putting it all together again tomorrow , if I can get up early enough . I was told to mainly just knock of the big chunks of carbon and fix the jetting , and it should take care of itself . But I spent a few HOURS kncoking most of it off . Get a bit obbsessive sometimes . BTW , #1 is on the right ...

Got my engine assembly lube and a couple more cans of brake cleaner should I need them . Used 2 cans today hosing it off !
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Range
      ...but in this case...yeah....I would question the use of water for the leak test....wouldn't it be better to use a light oil, such as mineral spirits?
      I asked aboot that when my uncle mentioned it , and he said would be best , because oil is still gonna be thicker than water . So if water doesn't leak out , it SHOULD be good to go .

Comment

Originally posted by md86
        Just slipped out the exhaust valves from that one cylinder and hit the seats with the Dremel .
        what do you mean by hit the seat with a dremel? you shouldn't hit the seats with anything except the proper tools.

that carbon build up is alot more common in a bike than one might thing. it comes mostly from downshifting into high revs.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

How many miles are on your motor MD?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well Mojoe , I used a Dremel with the wire wheel deal . I used it to brush the carbon off those 2 seats . I was THEN told that the seats were worn and would need lapping . I was worried about taking material off with the tool too , but was told I shouldn't have a problem . Anyway , the valves got lapped and I had my uncle the LONG-time mechanic inspect my work , just to be sure . He said it looked pretty good . Actually , I think I impressed the hell out of him , because he's always said that I'm mechanically incompetant . I just out of the blue called him and said "can you take a look at my work thus far" .
            Anyway Steves , the bike's got over 50K on it . Had an overbore done at about 27-28k , shortly before I bought it .
            Almost got it all back together . Weather's been MOST uncooperative here . All's that's left is the coils , exhaust , carbs , and other bits . But I'm gonna do some other things while I'm at it , so it's gonna be at least a few moe days before we see how it works .

Comment

...Anyway , think I need the molybdenium grease like the book says for the cam journals , or would soaking everything with engine oil be cool .
              Pick up some engine assembly lube at your local auto parts store. It is designed to be applied to bearings and cams during assembly. When I was working as Roush I spoke to the engine assemblers (NASCAR, IRL and LeMans) about is and they swear by the stuff. Here is one example http://www.vpracingfuels.com/enginea...B7C89F13B2D1BB . Permatex makes one as well.

Comment

Anyway Steves , the bike's got over 50K on it . Had an overbore done at about 27-28k , shortly before I bought it .
                *whew* Neither the bandit nor the kat have that much milage on their motors.... You were making me start to think I should have pulled the head on the kat motor before I installed it....
                -Steve

sigpic
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Sorry if this has been long in coming... haven't been in this forum since before the trip except to post pics of the trip.

Given that you've been having carb issues, I don't see any problem with the amount of carbon I see in the pics (running rich, plus at least 20k miles on the engine since last clean-out). At least it looks like there's well under 1 mm of carbon there, which is my criteria for being truly concerned. My guess is that if you hadn't used the various chemical treatments, you'd probably have substancially more...

Moly-lube? I'd be really surprized if the Suzuki factory manuals call for it, as moly use is normally incompatible with wet clutches...

I'd love to see a pic down into the chambers, piston, rings... Glad to hear that you seem to have passed the water test (I too would have used a light oil instead, like a straight 10 weight).

Good Luck!
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well , the first pics are all I have of down into the chambers . Nothing special there anyway , I didn't think .
                    Not sure HOW thick the carbon was , but there was alot And I TOTALLY forgot that while at the rally , I put in some bigger jets . THAT might have had something to do with it ! Most of the carbon that was on the pistons though flaked right off when I blew on it as I put it all back together .
                    Yeah , the manual called for some kind of assembly lube . I got some red stuff from Ky motors that's some kind of REAL thick oil .
                    We'll see what happens when I put the carbs , pipe , coils , and plastics back on soon ...

Comment

I acutally use..............don't laugh.................a little vaseline when I rebuild engines. Works great.
                      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                        I acutally use..............don't laugh.................a little vaseline when I rebuild engines. Works great.
                        Some people get more excited that others!

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Got it MOSTLY buttoned back up today (less plastics and stuff) . Started up , idled fine . Didn't die when I blipped the throttle like it used to . Went for a short test run , and it didn't seize up or anything , so I guess that's a good sign . Need to synch the carbs now and make sure the jetting is okay , oh yeah , and make sure I'm not losing too much oil . Other than that , I guess things are looking up .

Comment

Cool beans. So is Bike Bandit still on your list?

Comment

Yeah , they screwed me on shipping . I paid $20 extra for 2-day , and recieved it the same day as if I would have paid for standard . And their response was basically "t.s. , you agreed to our terms" . So yeah , I'm NOT pleased with them , and from now on I will be telling EVERYONE who'll listen . Anyway , here's the second day of spring in Ky.

Comment

Well , it runs , and only leaks a LITTLE (think I MAY have forgotten one of the 0-rings on the oil return lines ) . Went out for a little 50 mile shakedown today . Runs pretty smooth , no flat spots or hesitation anymore (odd , considering I figured the carbs would need synched ) . But it runs decent , so good enough for me .

Comment

Working...
                                X