X

No Country for Old Katana's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
    Ive always wanted to go to Isle of Mann so for chits and giggles I tried to find a flight. For my wife and I to fly there, which you have to do a stop over in Paris (what a shame, right?) its $6,750. Just for the flight!

So if I ever have a extra $10k laying around, I know what Im gonna do with it.
    Hmmmmm....... if it's what you really want, I hope it happens bro!! As for me, if I ever had an extra 10K to play with, it would be on a relatively new bike and a cross-country tour of my own country/continent.

If you ever get a chance to download this movie, it's what I'm talking about... "Seven Days."....it's on the cbc.ca homepage.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I'm just as drawn to the insanity of the Isle of Man as so many are, but...237 riders have been killed from 1907 through 2009. That's a big number.

Comment

Originally posted by superbike View Post
        I'm just as drawn to the insanity of the Isle of Man as so many are, but...237 riders have been killed from 1907 through 2009. That's a big number.
        +1 I agree, Jim...... and I'm almost certain 237 of those riders were more skilled than I am...... for that matter all of the current racers who live to walk away to ride another day are more skilled than I am. At my age, I'm just thankful that I survived my crashes, still have a chance to twist it now and then, and now get to enjoy my kids and grandkids. 237 of those riders may not have, and that saddens me.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Thanks For the book reference Jim, it'll make a good read I'm sure when the snow is six feet deep up here and I'm pining for a ride . Actually , winter can start here in my neck of the woods anytime now, so I'm riding as much as I can

IOM is definetley a bucket list ride for me, but would have to do it as an offshoot of a regular European vacation. I've never been to Europe and have been considering it for sometime. I wonder if anyone on IOM rents bikes, hehehe.

Apparently, and don't quote me on this, I probably have it wrong, the roads on IOM fall outside British jurisdiction and have no posted speed limits or radar cams. There's obviously limits in towns and villages , but I understand your free to open up a bit on the main roads.
          I know the truth is a click away on google, but I choose to live the fantasy for now
          1990 GSXF 1100
          2011 KLR 650

Comment

Valhalla!

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            Ive always wanted to go to Isle of Mann so for chits and giggles I tried to find a flight. For my wife and I to fly there, which you have to do a stop over in Paris (what a shame, right?) its $6,750. Just for the flight!

So if I ever have a extra $10k laying around, I know what Im gonna do with it.
            Fly to Brit, then take a train to Liverpool, and board the ferry to Isle of Man.
            If you was just another Brit sod, you can ride your bike to the ferry, and camp on the island for the week, and ride the race course!
            Valhalla!

Bill

Comment

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to spend the two weeks at the I.O.M. for the T.T. and what an amazing experience for so many reasons;

a) a week of racing,

b) the huge number of bike rallies that are held by clubs,

c) the T.T. organisers are squared away and have it in a pile,

d) the food and beer is great,

e) the Sun is out until later in the evening so you get to see plenty of bikes,

f) the Locals and Visitors are there for the love of bikes and it shows in the very friendly attitude of everyone I meet there.

g) the Island itself is beautiful and has a very rich history that was/is of great interest as a visitor.

If there is one event to experience as a bike enthusiast it is the I.O.M. TT, long may it reign!
              82 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana
              Badjezz, we don need noh stinken badjezz!

Comment

Crazy race, I've seen a couple guys have their last ride there. Public streets and country stones have no mercy.
                My YouTube Videos
                My motorcyle map!

Comment

The races were on the HD network last year it was amazing to watch.

Comment

Working...
                  X