No announcement yet.
X

My Latest Work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight I worked on the header. First I took it to a muffler shop so I could expand the end so the mid pipe could slip in. Then I worked on cutting off the ends of the downpipe in order to increase the distance between the header and the front tire. In order to keep things straight and true I machined a guide to aid in the cutting and grinding process.

-2000 "750"

Comment

• Yo do some gorgeous work man. I hope to get to that point some day. Keep it up
      Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
      '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
        Getting closer... I spent most of today sanding and polishing the wheels and working on the tail conversion. I purchased a new inner fender to go with the updated tail, but ended up trimming off the two holes that I think were the only difference between the inner fender I had and the new one. Oh well... my shovel chop job on this one is much improved.

Wheels - got through the sandcasting marks enough that I am satisfied. They could look better, but frankly I can't handle working on them anymore. Tomorrow I am going to tape off the rim portion and paint the spokes with the duplicolor wheel paint (in gunmetal grey).

I picked up the fairings from the painter on friday. I did the initial sanding and they sprayed the primer. I am going to wait a few more days then I will sand off the guide coat (the blue color) and drop them back off to the painter for spraying the color.

The most gratifying part of the day was working on the tail swap. I first cut off the shovel of the new inner fender, modified the license plate/turn signal bracket to fit, and switched over the lock cylinder into the bracket for the newer rear fairing. Now once the rear fairing is painted I can just mount it on the bike and not worry about scratching it by handling it so much.

Where exactly did you get the license plate bracket from. your bike is a huge inspiration brother. your filing my head with ideas now lol.

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
        The best part is she is running like a dream right now. Don't know if it was the exhaust weld removal or a good synch job, but it is smooooooth.
        sorry if im bugging you but your bike and your knowledge is outstanding to me. i hear alot of people talking about removing the exhaust welds. what exactly does this mean?? and is there a how to??
        Last edited by Iraqvet86; 08-20-2011, 01:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• The license plate bracket is one item that was originally on the bike, so I can't help with where to get one.

For the header weld removal, here is this: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...removing+welds

I can't say that I could feel the difference, although it was probably because I did it over winter and not just over a weekend during the riding season. So unfortunately I can't chime in if it was really worth it or not. To answer your question better, "removing the exhaust welds" involves using sanding drums (likely on a dremel-like tool) to open up each tube on the header from how the flange bit at the end was attached. Doing this will require a carb sync since you are altering air flow between cylinders.
          Last edited by Cheriff; 08-22-2011, 04:23 PM.
          -2000 "750"

Comment

• So shiny...

Comment

The license plate bracket is one item that was originally on the bike, so I can't help with where to get one.

For the header weld removal, here is this: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...removing+welds

I can't say that I could feel the difference, although it was probably because I did it over winter and not just over a weekend during the riding season. So unfortunately I can't chime in if it was really worth it or not. To answer your question better, "removing the exhaust welds" involves using sanding drums (likely on a dremel-like tool) to open up each tube on the header from how the glange bit at the end was attached. Doing this will require a carb sync since you are altering air flow between cylinders.
              Awesome. Thanks man I really appreciate it.

Comment

• Other than learning that I cut too much off my header, there was some other developments today...

I finally decided on a color for the rear hugger. Went with the matching blue. Here she is:

And then I worked on the speed pickup. Since I stripped out the new threads in the countershaft, I machined an insert I could press into place that uses a smaller thread in the center. Then I had to make a little washer that prevents the new smaller bolt from pulling through the center hole in the speed rotor. I also countersunk the speed rotor so that the unit still somewhat self centers when tightened..

-2000 "750"

Comment

• Can I just borrow your brain for one week?? I would get so much more done on my kat lol.

Comment

• I'd like to take the credit but I have some good help...
                    Last edited by Cheriff; 08-23-2011, 09:59 PM.
                    -2000 "750"

Comment

I'd like to take the credit but I have some good help...
                      ok. can i just borrow you and your help for a week then?? lol

Comment

• Looking awesome tom! Tell you what, i'll race you to see who can get their project done first. I know you will win, but it just may light the fire under my azz that I need to get mine going again full swing.
                        Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

• Originally posted by 5forty2 View Post
                          Looking awesome tom! Tell you what, i'll race you to see who can get their project done first. I know you will win, but it just may light the fire under my azz that I need to get mine going again full swing.
                          I'll be more than happy to take over your project if you ever lose motivation for it.. Just want to put that out there

Had a couple new set backs that I won't get into now, but here is a picture of the back end coming together:

-2000 "750"

Comment

• Purrrdy
                            2005 Gsx600f- My baby
                            1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
                            Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

• Sweet looking swing arm...

Where did you get the rear hugger? I might be interested in something like that.
                              Last edited by astevens54; 09-05-2011, 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

• Yeah yeah...your bike is the sh*t, and all that. Obligatory a$$ kissing over with. The new bar ends are outstanding. Thanks again, bro. I have almost no vibration in my hand grips now, and they look great.

Oh and...

Hurry the f*ck up with your damn bike, already!!!
                                We have to do at least one more ride before I move.
                                ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                                チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                                Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                                X