X

2005 750 turbo katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A turbo from a 4g63?

Thats's water cooled! how are you going to cool it with an air cooled engine?
    Besides That 2L engine turbo is a big friggin turbo for something with less then 1L displacement.
    I would look into a smaller turbo from something like a chevy sprint
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

can't he just get a boost controller to control the amount of boost that goes to the motor? i've thought of doing this too, i've got a turbo off my 2.0L probe that's just laying around. i just can't get the time to fab up the manifold. i think it's a great idea except for whoever said to go with the megasquirt system...it's a piece of crap! i have it on my probe and can't get it to run right at all. but maybe that's just my lack of knowledge!

Comment

Just a FYI... You are not OBLIGATED to watercool watercooled turbos... I have used watercooled turbos without connecting any water on them, and just let it cool with the oil going through. It's all in how you use them.

Also, why the megasquirt when there are so many other options available, such as the Walbro and AEM units...

Comment

Originally posted by cpark_12 View Post
          can't he just get a boost controller to control the amount of boost that goes to the motor? i've thought of doing this too, i've got a turbo off my 2.0L probe that's just laying around. i just can't get the time to fab up the manifold. i think it's a great idea except for whoever said to go with the megasquirt system...it's a piece of crap! i have it on my probe and can't get it to run right at all. but maybe that's just my lack of knowledge!
          Sure you can limit the boost, but if you run a big turbo on a small motor, it will take FOREVER to spool up. Not a lot of fun if it doesn't build boost until 9k RPM.

The IHI turbo on the Probe and MX6 turbo's is still too big, really. And Megasquirts are pretty nifty little pieces.... but they're just like any other program/tool..... they will only do as well as the user does.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

im not going for overkill i just want to make boost and see what i can get out of it. i really want to stay with carbs and not going FI. if you think the turbo is still to big i will go with the td04l from a 05 wrx its much smaller. i think its the same as the dsm 4g63 turbo.
            http://www.bikepics.com/members/gsxfaaron/05gsx750f/

Comment

What we are saying is that you might need to look for a turbo that wasn't meanty for an engine with twice the displacement.

Comment

A turbo off a Geo turbo sprint would probably be much closer in size to what you would need since those were only 999cc.
                John,
                '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  A turbo from a 4g63?

Thats's water cooled! how are you going to cool it with an air cooled engine?
                  Besides That 2L engine turbo is a big friggin turbo for something with less then 1L displacement.
                  I would look into a smaller turbo from something like a chevy sprint
                  Originally posted by KeWLKaT View Post
                  Just a FYI... You are not OBLIGATED to watercool watercooled turbos... I have used watercooled turbos without connecting any water on them, and just let it cool with the oil going through. It's all in how you use them.

Also, why the megasquirt when there are so many other options available, such as the Walbro and AEM units...
                  KeWlKaT is correct, many turbo's from water cooled motors never see any water/antifreeze, most of them are completely OIL coiled. Thats why reading about many 240sx, or DSM swaps with the Garret T-series (t-23 etc) or many other after market turbo company's, and turbo boost controllers, they have an ignition shutoff feature. One the turbo gets to Normal Operating Temperature (a sprint through town and back) and you cut the key, the car will continue to run until the turbo cools enough not to lock the ball bearings up. The only thing the intercooler (air/water, water/water, air/air) does is cool the air going through the turbo and into the motor to make the induction charge denser. This may also have a cooling affect on the entire assembly, but the majority of turbo's ARE oil cooled.
                  Currently Riding:
                  1995 Katana 600
                  V&H Exhaust
                  Jet Kit

SOLD
                  2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                  1987 XV700 Bobber
                  REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
                    KeWlKaT is correct, many turbo's from water cooled motors never see any water/antifreeze, most of them are completely OIL coiled. Thats why reading about many 240sx, or DSM swaps with the Garret T-series (t-23 etc) or many other after market turbo company's, and turbo boost controllers, they have an ignition shutoff feature. One the turbo gets to Normal Operating Temperature (a sprint through town and back) and you cut the key, the car will continue to run until the turbo cools enough not to lock the ball bearings up. The only thing the intercooler (air/water, water/water, air/air) does is cool the air going through the turbo and into the motor to make the induction charge denser. This may also have a cooling affect on the entire assembly, but the majority of turbo's ARE oil cooled.
                    I believe they were talking about water cooled TURBOS..... NOT turbos on water cooled ENGINES. Most turbos are not liquid cooled. They have oil fed to them for lubrication, and that provides a little bit of cooling as well. Some turbos actually have coolant lines, along with the oil lines, to feed coolant through the turbo to keep temperatures down. What he was saying was that you don't necessarily have to use the coolant lines (though I would, if available), and the turbo will hold up just fine.

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                    A turbo off a Geo turbo sprint would probably be much closer in size to what you would need since those were only 999cc.
                    Much better idea. Or maybe from a Mazda 323 turbo.

Really, none of them are going to be ideal. With a small displacement engine that revs so high, you'll generally be limited to low boost, or you'll have bad lag. It would take some work to find a turbo that would be just right for this kind of application.
                    Last edited by loudnlow7484; 11-04-2008, 11:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

If you had unlimited funds, a call to Bender Racing could probably get one sized nearly perfect. They do a lot of turbo conversions on Yamaha snowmobiles.
                      John,
                      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gsxfaaron View Post
                        if you think the turbo is still to big i will go with the td04l from a 05 wrx its much smaller. i think its the same as the dsm 4g63 turbo.
                        You should try to find a T25 from a 2g dsm, they are small and can be had in perfect condition for under $100 most of the time. Pretty sure they are about the smallest you can find from a stock application.
                        Last edited by Metallihawk; 11-04-2008, 12:16 PM.
                        91 Galant VR4 #627/2k
                        94 Katana 750 "Streetfighter"

Comment

Sweet idea, a lot of options to consider. Def keep us informed

Comment

Originally posted by Metallihawk View Post
                            You should try to find a T25 from a 2g dsm, they are small and can be had in perfect condition for under $100 most of the time. Pretty sure they are about the smallest you can find from a stock application.
                            A T25 might work out ok..... I've seen them on other bikes (never seen one on a 600, though). A T15 would probably work better. You can find them on ebay for $150.

Comment

You will definitely want to run an external wastegate. Manages boost 110% better than the crappy oem internal one. Gives you much more flexiblity for low boost too. With a small turbo like that, a simple tial 38mm will work. These can be had for less than $100 if you search well enough.

A t25 is a perfect turbo for your setup in my opinion. you will have hope you don't need thw water lines to cool it though. But it will still spool plenty fast for your setup, I wouldn't worry about lag with it at all. If you're that worried about lag and want a tiny turbo, check out a stock vr4 turbo. It's a 9b and is itty bitty! I think the t25 is one of your best bets though. The vf39 wouldn't be bad but definitely more laggy than the t25
                              Last edited by mdoe8; 11-04-2008, 12:55 PM.
                              -1999 White FRC Corvette
                              -2003 Black Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

big turbos will take forever to spool up. The lag will be brutal without the displacement .
                                What about the MR2 or a lil twin turbo car set up. usually twin turbos are smaller.

Turbos that are designed to be watercooled like some are usually dont last long if not cooled properly. you are far better off finding an oil cooled turbo.. but then what about oil temps? is the katana going to be able to keep the oil temps in a safe range... you will likely need a bigger or add a second oil cooler.

personally I would look into a snowmobile or motorcycle turbo rather then adapting a car turbo.
                                from what I understand a car turbo is designed for larger displacement and lower RPM operation then a sled or cycle turbo and I don't think you would want much more then 6-8psi boost.
                                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 11-04-2008, 01:04 PM.
                                98 GSX750F
                                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                                X