X

How to make Cool Weather Pants...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make Cool Weather Pants...

My gf with her total lack of insulation, decided she wanted some warmer pants for riding... But didn't want to go buy frosty-the-snow-person pants... so, ever creative, she started to imagine...

The next thing I knew we were at the fabric store examining fabrics and picking the brains of the staff. We needed a wind-stopping layer and a warmth-retention layer... Supplies in hand, we returned home...

Needed:
    Jeans, dragging jeans, other riding pants you can sew into (preferably a little larger than you need);
    48" of Wind-stopper nylon (very thin, kills wind);
    48" of flannel (good heat retension, some lofting, but without excess thickness and is soft on the skin).

Wash flannel in ice water, then in hot water to pre-shrink it. Tumble dry and lay flat while still warm (to help remove any wrinkles that might hamper sewing).

Turn jeans inside out before starting. In her case, she says the crotch area isn't a problem, just the legs, so the pants will only get the added layers from where the legs fold at the torso downwards to the bottom cuffs.

Depending on the size and cut of the jeans, you will want to decide if you want to sew the additions in as two pieces (outside seam to inside seam across the front, repeat for the rear), or as a single piece (inside seam to inside seam)... doing it as two pieces allows for a much better fit if the leg cut isn't perfectly straight. I tried to talk her into using snaps instead, but she didn't want to go that route.
    Cut both fabrics to size in every direction, plus at least one inch over. Pin into place, with the flannel rolled over the edge of the nylon at the top & bottom edges (to help stop fraying, etc). Sew into place, then trim excess and add a few stitches as needed to hold them... boy, this would be so much easier if we owned a sewwing machine!
    Check first leg for actual fitment on you (the wearer) before trying on 2nd leg; this will ensure you don't have to redo any mistakes on both legs...

When done, you will have an exceptionally warm, wind-proof set of winter jeans, good for whatever (including riding, if you're willing to ride in jeans).

More pics if you guys want as the project gets further progressed (she got sidelined by cookie making -- who am I to complain?).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Wow, thats pretty slick and would seem to be pretty cost friendly to the old wallet too. Nice job, keep us up to date on the progress...

sticking this in the gear forum...

Comment

Nice. I think that might be a good idea...sick of my legs (and other regions) getting cold.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Um , I just put on "snow pants" over my leathers . Works great , and I don't have to permanently alter anything . Just a simple pair of windbreaker pants with a little insulation-lining .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

And crunchie got the sewing machine she wanted from Santa so this can be her first real project !

Comment

Please keep us posted. My wife loves to do this kind of stuff and I like having it.

Comment

Re: How to make Cool Weather Pants...

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              ...But didn't want to go buy frosty-the-snow-person pants...
              I think the whole point, mojoe, is to avoid the snow pants. I'd like the look of jeans with the extra wind-protection.
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
              -Terence

Comment

Hey guys, remember this is Florida... we're not battling snow storms here

Added/updated comments:
                She says that her sewing the top under the pocket turned out to be a little problematic in that when you pull them on, they tend to want to bunch in the thigh, so she would recommend sewwing them at the belt-line instead.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

More images (pants done):

Inside Out to show the material:

Right-side out:

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah that looks about right.
                    TiM

Comment

Uhhh.... don't mean to be a downer, but Sears sells those pants for like $30.

Atleast they do up here in Canada eh.

*EDIT* Sorry, failed to read the nylon insert... the Sears pants don't have that layer, just the flannel and denim. Nice idea!

Comment

maybe we can get Range to wear them inside out, at the rally ?

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                          Uhhh.... don't mean to be a downer, but Sears sells those pants for like $30.

Atleast they do up here in Canada eh.

*EDIT* Sorry, failed to read the nylon insert... the Sears pants don't have that layer, just the flannel and denim. Nice idea!
                          Well I don't mean to be a downer Junior, but those are just pants that we ship to you over the border and tell you that they are Calvins or something expensive. They cost us like a $1 to make in Mexico. French people will buy anything!
                          TiM

Comment

i hate cold weather ridding.small price to pay i guess.i wear rain gear.looks funny but works

Comment

Thanks Cyber. We will be trying this idea as soon as the Holidays slow down Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X