X

Review; Cardo Scala Q2 Multiset

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review; Cardo Scala Q2 Multiset

So now that the Mrs. has her SV and is riding as much as possible, I thought a communication system would be a nice addition.

I looked at both the Chatterbox and Cardo systems. I ended up with the Cardo system, they both had features that were the same but the antenna on the Chatter box just had 'snap me off' written all over it and it was just too bulky for me.

The set comes with the 2 units, chargers for both, cases for the units, and cords for the MP3 connection, the 2 mounting options, prep pads, and velcro for the speakers.

The install was pretty straight forward, there are 2 mounting options a clamp and a plate that has adhesive tape that you apply to the side of the helmet. I had to use the adhesive backed plate as the liners at the edges are glued in.

My set has the boom mic, the corded mic would have been better but the boom works fine.

The wires are pretty easy to tuck in between the lining of the helmet and the shell I have an HJC the wife has a Scorpion, hers has a partial removable liner that allows the speaker cords to be run behind the liner easily.

The set up was real easy, the set is already paired to one another so you basically turn it on and they work. At about 10 feet away there is a strange echo thing but as you put distance between the two sets the echo goes away. You can hear a bit of wind noise from the other set if the visor is open. At one point we had about 60+ yards between us and the sound was great, no static and no drop in sound quality. My helmet has pretty bad wind noise but the speakers sounded good even with the visor open, I had about 3/4 volume.

On a full charge it has an 8 hour talk time, we were out for about 2 so it showed no effects. I did connect my cell to with the Bluetooth option. It took 2 trys to get it connected, but once it was connected it worked great. I sat at my desk with my helmet on and made a few calls and most of the people I called said it didn't sound any different than a regular Bluetooth unit. I haven't messed with the FM radio feature yet.

Over all I'm pleased with the performance. I'll make sure to update as we put more hours on the units.

I'd give it a 10 for ease of install,
    A 9.5 for set up just cause it took two tries to connect my phone,
    and a 9 for sound quality thus far.
    Last edited by GSXFJim; 08-02-2011, 11:56 PM.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Looks to be stereo, that's a plus in my book.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Yes its stereo.
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Thanks for the pics Jim. now the great debate. How to tell the wife its a must have and get in to her purse.
        "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
        1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
        2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Been using the Q2 for a few years now. Sound is good up until about highway speeds 50+ MPH then it gets drowned out by wind noise.

Pay attention to speaker placement as it will effect rider comfort and sound levels.

The newer shoei helmets are even molded with ear cups for the speakers
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Im using the q2 with shoei xr 1000 and they work great. however I hate that the radio does not operate while youre connected to the other party.
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Been using the Q2 set-up for several years now (older model without MP3), and it's been a great addition to my riding. Been considering adding the newer base clamp, which has the MP3 connection and cable. Also, Cardo's customer service is first rate - had to return my unit after a severe deluge drowned it. Cardo promptly sent me instructions to do a hard reset. When that didn't correct it, they asked me to return the unit, and they quickly sent a replacement
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I would probably be going to the G4 for streaming bluetooth if they weren't so dang expensive.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

So much as I use my G4 to stream music and such I would gladly pay the money again. Now if only my gingerbread update to my phone did not hamper my G4's ability to skip songs as the A2DP is broken now... ugh
                  I am a Penn State fanatic.
                  Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

I have the Sena SMH10... best purchase for the bike yet... I havn't found anyone that has one to pair to though... I'm thinking about getting the wifey one for her bday though so next year when we go on our trip we will be able to communicate. The streaming feature is AMAZING on the iPhone... sorry soulpatch... maybe you should leave android?!
                    Last edited by Katana91_750; 08-03-2011, 01:22 PM.
                    1991 Katana 750 (Red) (sold)
                    2007 GSXR 600

Comment

Er, we don't pair them to talk to each other. Mostly just for the music
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Meh. I can live with a temporary break in my A2DP a lot better then I could live with the iPhone. I will live cutting edge and have an issue here and there then with 2 year old phone tech.

You can pair to a cheaper Q2 if you can find one just so you know. No need to buy another G4 if you will only use it for coms

Originally posted by steves View Post
                        Er, we don't pair them to talk to each other. Mostly just for the music

Steve doesnt like to connect to me as the vox will open as I am singing my songs. Well he doesnt mind that as much as when I open the comm and ask what he is wearing and things along that line. LOL
                        Last edited by soulpatch; 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        I am a Penn State fanatic.
                        Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

hahahaha... good times lol
                          1991 Katana 750 (Red) (sold)
                          2007 GSXR 600

Comment

Working...
                          X