No announcement yet.
X

helmet opinion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are more likely to get in an accident on the street than on the track.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I got one for 100 or so, was too small from the jaw area. Hat to pass it on. For those of us with larger noggins modular is way easier to put on/take off.
      Tejasandre

Comment

HJC makes some very nice helmets. I had Shoei's but a few years ago got an HJC and liked it so much I have a second one. Seems like a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          You are more likely to get in an accident on the street than on the track.
          was referring to the fact that most tracks will not allow modulars to be used as hardlydangerous stated, but I do agree Im more likely to have an accident on the street, lol especially considering Ive never been on a track.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

To each his own...but you asked for opinions and they were given. It appears that everyone here has you safety in mind and are against modular helmets due to the obvious lack of structural integrity. That said we hope you are happy with your decision and let us know how you like the helmet. Side note: I will soon have a review of my new Scorpion EXO 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by jday240 View Post
              To each his own...but you asked for opinions and they were given.
              I did ask for your opinions, I have said nothing against any of the opinions given, matter of fact I have only thanked all of you for those opinions.

as far I why I will still be testing out the mod helmet, it was ordered and paid for before I made this thread, so theres not much chance of being able to change that order. so please dont take offense and think I do not value all of your opinions.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Well, the helmet arrived today. Problem is... its an extra small...lot of good that does me... contacted bike bandit and they said they just sold their last large, and since its a closeout helmet they will not be getting more of them.
                however I'll take this as a mixed blessing, since I received all of ya'lls input and only a couple of people had anything good to say about modular style helmets.
                but since I can return the HJC and receive store credit, Ive decided to wait until I get my taxes done and go ahead a spend a little more on a good Shoei or something. probably look between the 300-400 dollar range. does anyone have any good suggestions, ha dumb question, of course you do, lets hear them.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I'm really fond of my Shoei. Liked every one I've owned.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ive always heard good things about them but havent used one. thinking of possibly going with an rf1100
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I bought a modular helmet for $70.00 and love it (click the URL below). I wear prescription glasses and they fog up on cold days, so while I am sitting at red lights, I flip up the front and they don't fog, when the light turns green I just pull down the front and it locks firmly in place. I know this can be done with the visor also, but it just seems easier with the modular. The flip up front also makes it easy to chat with other riders and passengers while at a traffic light.

I also bought a couple of extra shields for mine from the same company a few weeks later. They had everything in stock and shipped promptly.

I bought the matte finish and love it, it doesn't show every finger print like other helmets that I have owned. Granted, it is not a fashionable look like a glossy Shoei. They also have glossy colors available.

The only negative I can think of is, it is a bit noisy at speed (wind noise), but it has more positives than negatives.

It is a heck of a deal for the money. Here is the URL:

Last edited by ChrisInTexas; 02-07-2011, 07:58 PM.
                      "Emini's are the future"

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisInTexas View Post
                        I bought a modular helmet for $70.00 and love it (click the URL below). I wear prescription glasses and they fog up on cold days, so while I am sitting at red lights, I flip up the front and they don't fog, when the light turns green I just pull down the front and it locks firmly in place. I know this can be done with the visor also, but it just seems easier with the modular. The flip up front also makes it easy to chat with other riders and passengers while at a traffic light.

I also bought a couple of extra shields for mine from the same company a few weeks later. They had everything in stock and shipped promptly.

I bought the matte finish and love it, it doesn't show every finger print like other helmets that I have owned. Granted, it is not a fashionable look like a glossy Shoei. They also have glossy colors available.

The only negative I can think of is, it is a bit noisy at speed (wind noise), but it has more positives than negatives.

It is a heck of a deal for the money. Here is the URL:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

appreciate the input, I know I havent said it in this thread, but I said it in a few other threads pertaining to helmets.
                        I refuse to put my trust in a helmet that costs less than my gloves. especially no name brands.
                        also I'm not looking for a good deal for the money helmet at the moment, I have a good Vega lid that fills that requirement. Im looking for exceptional quality from a new helmet. and I'm willing to spend 3 to 400 dollars for that quality lid.

I do thankyou for the input, however its not what I'm looking for
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Shoie, Aria, HJC/Icon, are my favorites when it comes to quality... Some like nolan and agv Ive had both and they were ok lids. the last AGV I had was a composite/fiberglass shell and heavy as ****. that model only had one size shell regardless the size of the liner. So small riders had a HUGE helmet.
                          the Icon air frame helmets are nice and good for the price.
                          The lower end, entry level Shoei and Aria helmets are not so much of a deal... you are paying for the name.. same lower quality design as cheaper cost helmets like HJC or KBC helmets but twice as much. However once you get into the $400+ helmets you are getting some REALLY nice lids that fit like a dream and pretty cool features.

if I had the extra money I would put it towards a mid level shoei for sure or a high end HJC or Icon
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I bought the HJC Symax 2 last year and wore it until I did a nice slide near the Dragon. I loved it. I don't worry about the modular aspect. I high-sided with a Fulmer modular at 67 mph on the Interstate and the first thing to hit was the chin (modular). No problem...it held perfectly.

I replaced the HJC with the Shoei Strife and like the Shoei better. It is lighter and more comfortable. But the HJC Symax 2 is a good helmet.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

zuma, I really like the look of that strife, but I think if I do get the RF1100 Ill just keep it to a solid color.

hardly, would you consider the RF1100 a midlevel shoei? I was looking at the x-12, but I cant see spending 700 on a helmet lol I paid less for the bike lol
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

The RF1100 replaced the RF1k.

I have an RF1k for my daily lid and an RF900 as my old helmet that was way too big.

You will not find a nicer helmet for the money, hell you can get a 1k for around 300 anymore, I paid over 400 for mine last summer.

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X