No announcement yet.
X

Helmet saved life today!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your right.... even the cheapest gear is better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by kata-tat-tat View Post
      A riding buddy of mine called me earlier today to tell me that his bike was totaled by his brother in law. I went over to see his brand new 2010 GSX600R indeed totaled. His brother in law had just completed the rider safety course that afternoon

Glad the bro in law is OK, but your buddy should have known he didn't have any business riding a GIXXER 600 with no MC experience whatsoever.

and now he's minus a Gixxer600 and has a rashed up bro n law.

There is a MC for every Skill set. His was around the Ninja 250/GSF500 range.

Just my thoughts, I have a big problem with newbies fresh out of the MSF Class think they are Nicky Hayden and can put a knee down, or they are Jason Britton and can do a wheelie for a week....

I'm really happy every one is Ok....But this could have been avoided.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

glad to see everyone is ok, but I'm like everyone else. Know your skills and limitations before hopping on a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoKoolKat View Post
          I really appreciate these posts. I don't have many people that I know who ride, so it's refreshing to have folks such as yourself to remind me just how stupid it is to ride without a helmet. Thank you for helping me break away from the life of a squid. I have the helmet, gloves, and protective riding jacket, but I do not know what to do for riding pants. I do most of my riding around town. Does anyone have suggestions for proper riding pants? Leathers, or kevlar reinforced denim, other ideas? Brands and places to buy would be great too.
          Buy the best gear you can afford. I ride in Levi's most of the time, but just bought a set of leathers. Truthfully, the leathers are much more comfortable than jeans, but if all you can afford is reinforced riding jeans then get them. That would be better than squiding around. Also, just ride within your limits. Look around the forums for gear that others are selling, there is a size 34 one piece for sale in the forums for an excellent price. Many people refer to a site called New Enough, but I find Motorcycle Superstore to have better prices for the same gear and a little bit better availability.
          sigpic

Signature was getting too long, check my garage for list of mods.

Comment

Man thats terrible! Glad nobody was KIA tho..
            2009 Ninja 250R (For Sale)
            2006 Katana 600

one day i will grow up and learn ta use proper spelling capitalization and grammer today aint gonna be that day tho

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
              Glad the bro in law is OK, but your buddy should have known he didn't have any business riding a GIXXER 600 with no MC experience whatsoever.

Just my thoughts, I have a big problem with newbies fresh out of the MSF Class think they are Nicky Hayden and can put a knee down, or they are Jason Britton and can do a wheelie for a week....

1. My riding buddy is minus a GSXR but the bro in law bought it from him and now my buddy has a YZF600, btw that makes the YZ only the second bike my buddy has ever owned and he has yet to drop a bike.

2. I seriously doubt the bro in law even knows who Nicky Hayden and Jason Britton are

3. He is still very humbled by the experience and can hardly look anyone in the eye who rides even today

4. I was one of those newbie know-it-alls fresh out of MSF squiding around with no gear and pushing the limits and I turned out to be a responsible rider.

Riding is a calculated risk for anyone who chooses to partake. The purpose of my original post was to reinforce the value of wisely calculating what level of risk you are willing to ride with. For me that is helmet, gloves, full toe boots, arms and legs fully covered, every time. For others it may be much more, for some much less. It is not for me to judge someone against my own abilities or limitations.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Philskat View Post
                pics of your sliders

Here ya go:
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

God blessed them both and their Families. I hope his healing experience goes well.
                  What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post

So I don't belong on a kat 600 then, do i? cause it sure seems like an alright bike for my skill set...but then again, i've ridden dirtbikes for year...and dirt biking will teach you a lot about things like....just how much is too much.. almost low sided cause of the morning dew on the grass one time. Imagine if i learned just how slippery that dew is on a gixxer? Rode my kat for the first time in rain recently, and that nearly low sided dirtbike was in the front of my mind. Took it slow and easy just like i was driving a semi truck...and i lived.

Comment

Yeah stock Kat 600's are pretty forgiving bikes for newer riders to learn on. What bothers a lot of people are the new riders (especially young kids barely out of high school) that have never touched or ridden a motorcycle of any kind until they take the MSF class, then go out and buy GSX-R 600/R1/ Busa etc etc, because riding in the class was so easy they must be a natural, then kill themselves in a week thinking they are invulnerable.
                      John,
                      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                      sigpic

Comment

Going from the Kat 600 to a SS600 is even a big jump. I am really getting confident thowing the kat around but, when you roll on the Kat you add 10mph, for the same roll-on on the SS you gain 30 mph. That accelerates way out of your comfort zone quick.

I don't think repli racer bikes even belong on the street or there should be special licensing for them. They sure kill a lot of squids. They are fun but I don't feel anyone should need to go that fast on public roads. That's what tracks are for.

As for the kat being a beginner bike? It was my 4th bike. I started on a dual sport, had a couple cruisers and now this. My cruisers never compared to the kat for speed. I think it's good to start with something under powered to learn on. It reduces the element of surprise when an oops happens.

As for truckers, they have 18 wheels so they are like 9X the rider I am.

Comment

so im 9x the rider you are? Cool man.

I didnt think a gixxer was that much more powerful. Hm. My kat is all the power i need, really. I love how people call them slow *** katanas, etc.

Nobody calls mine that though. Nobody knows its a katana. No decals.....

Comment

My new one is so slow it can't even outrun a F350... (snerk).
                            sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
                            '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
                            '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Originally posted by phroziac View Post
                              I didnt think a gixxer was that much more powerful.
                              Have you ridden a new SS bike? I have ridden an '08 GSXR 1000 (logged a couple hundred miles) and a '10 ZX-6R ( aggressive demo ride around 25 miles). They make the Kat feel like a dresser harley.

When riding the 1K, when you twist the throttle at 60mph, it was like taking a picture of your surroundings. They just stopped! And

As for the ninja, the tach is green from 8-16K, at 8 it starts flying, absolutely no comparison, it is over 100lbs lighter and at least 30% more powerful.

Go to a demo day or find a buddy with a newer SS and try it out.

I've never seen a Kat do this!
                              [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4[/ame]

Comment

I think some people are missing the point of my post.

Now I agree every one is different, levels of maturity, responsibility, etc. But I will not be waved in the fact that something like a Katana should NOT be your first bike. When you are fresh out of the MSF class you know just enough to be dangerous, and barly enough to keep you alive out there. MSF does not teach you throttle control, my class barely did anything on proper braking, and much more. IT was a joke! You need to start with something small to learn the skills needed for flying a big boy. I've been riding for the better part of a decade and I dont ride the big SS bikes, because I know my limits, and I know myself, and knowing your self and limits are half the battle to surviving every time you suit up for battle!

To the poster saying "I dont think a Kat 600 and much different from a new Gixxer 6" well that just shows how little you know about motorcycles and the technology around them....

Here lets just look at the numbers
                                2006 GXS600R (i went with an older model just to keep it somewhat fair in the comparison)
                                HP - 103hp
                                TOP SPEED - 158.8mph
                                Weight - 355lbs
                                1/4 mile - 10.65

2006 Suzuki Katana 600 (GSX600F) (all specs pulled from katriders.com)
                                HP - 66-68HP
                                Top Speed - ~130mph
                                Weight - 458lbs
                                1/4 Mile - ~12's or High 11's

So you think 35Hp and ~100lbs lighter that is not a big difference? Have you ever rode an SS 600? I have, they are stupid fast! My experience was on a 2003 Kawi Ninja ZX6 (636) I was at 110mph in second gear and only half way to the redline when I shifted. So really honestly deep down you think some one with 0% experience behind handle bars should be driving that? Don't like to yourself when you respond.
                                Last edited by whitecl0ver; 05-27-2010, 09:27 AM.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X